Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Started using a cycle coach, but it’s too much. Getting the balance right?
  • stevious

Hello OP – if you’re finding the plan from your coach is affecting you adversely then they are definitely the first port of call to discuss. Probably the biggest value you can have from a coach is their ability to discuss your response to the plan and adjust accordingly – everyone responds differently to different training stresses. It’s really important that you’re honest with your coach, and if he is a good one you should feel like you trust him.

There’s a good chance when you speak to your coach, he’ll dial back the ‘sweet spot’ sessions a bit until you’re more used to that type of work (which will happen).

As for the ‘too-wired-to-sleep’ thing – I’ve had that a fair bit too. I’ve found that a longer warm down while doing a bit of a breathing exercise (basically just paying close attention to breaths and counting them in tens) really helps.

Kryton57

One thing i cant see mentioned here amongst the hr and power advice, is that your new coach needs to learn about you.  Coaching is very much about the two of you have enough if a relationship to communicate and understand each other, which is an equal responsibility.  Everyone is different, what works for some does not work for others.

FWIW im in my 3rd year.  The second year was dire and the plans and nutrition didnt work at all but weve worked it out and in the last 3 months ive lost 6kg and power is up 8% now across the board.   This involved a stern amount of honesty from us both before winter training commenced.

Talk to your coach, tell him everything and let him work it out.  Thats what he’s there for.

slowoldman

I would venture to suggest that going from “1 or 2 mid week 2 hour evening rides and 1 weekend 2-3 hour ride” to “5 rides / week ranging from 1 to 1.5 hour turbo rides and one 3hr + weekend ride” is quite a step up in one go. I’m not surprised you’re feeling fatigued. But then, I’m no athlete.

djflexure

I can understand you wanting to comit to a more structured programme in order to continue enjoying cycling. Training indoors has always been good for avoiding bad weather and doing a bit of intensity. Its easy (for me) to get carried away and do too many short hard/ hardish sessions indoors. Much harder to do longer, easier work indoors (I get bored).

My feeling would be that put simply, to transition into regular trainng and reach your goals you need one hard session each week on the trainer, possibly go to the gym and do some core/legwork, then add more moderate sessions indoor or out and see if you can achieve 5-7 hours per week consistently.

Rest every 4th week at least – reduce vol and intensity.

How to achieve this? I think it definitely helps to have a training plan, even if you are not racing. Define objectives so that you have clear events to work towards. I use the workout builder in Trainerroad, but then end up swapping out the endurance sessions for group rides on Zwift. Sometimes I swap out harder sessions for Zwift races. Sometimes I do no training for 2 weeks and drink beer. I’ve not had a coach before. I think if I was coached there would be more pressure to train and I dont necessarily need that. I’m generally reasonably well motivated and if I dont want to workout I just reckon that I need a rest.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Having skim read your initial post, not bothered to read much more of the thread, read between the lines, come to my own massively skewed assumptions and inserting my own prejudices (this is STW after all) it seems to me that you have cycled for years and enjoyed it and now due to some vaguely asserted requirement to ride a bit faster you have done lots of stuff which means you are no longer enjoying cycling.

Give that up and go back to doing what you were doing before i.e. just ride and enjoy yourself.

tjagain

Structured training for touring? Have I been doing it wrong all these years? Just ride and make sure yu enjoy the ride. Look at the clouds and the birds. Stop for a pint.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Started using a cycle coach, but it’s too much. Getting the balance right?’ is closed to new replies.