• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by v10.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stans 355 on Pro 2 – good wheel choice for me? Are the 355 rims good?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I’m thinking of changing my wonderfully lightweight set of Olympics on 240s for a pair on Pro 2s on 335s. That way we’ll have pro 2s on all our bikes and I’ll be able to go bolt thru (sadly not poss with my 240s). Good compromise do you reckon – bit more weight for more options.

Has anyone had any experience of the 355 rims? Is there anything to be aware of?

I run 2.0/1.95 tyres and am light weight, riding mostly trail centres – so reckon they should be about right for me, but just thought it’s always worth checking on here first! 😉

Cheers!

ScotlandTheScared

I have the pro2s on 355s. Apparently they’re pretty strong for the weight (not sure of exact weight, but decent for the price). Changing from my old wheels I immediately noticed the difference in rolling weight :). They look good (I am a tart) and thus far they seem to be handling plenty of abuse. In other words – I’d recommend them if you are not too heavy a rider.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool that’s good to hear. I’m under 8 stone so not a heavy rider! I reckon they look really good for price, glad you’re enjoying them! Cheers.

ScotlandTheScared

No problem. I am 11 stone and am currently running 1.9-2.0 race tyres – having no probs… they are bargainous!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Coolio!

boxelder

Just got some from Wheelpro (have a look there if you haven’t already, excellent price and service) – one ride can’t draw any conclusions, but they’ve only impressed so far. Had Pro 2’s for years, switching 3 pairs of wheels across 2 bikes. easier to inflate tubeless than 717’s.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

355s are excellent, and the weight – well supposed to be 355, mine weighed 353 and 359 so guess they are not far off, so light and seem strong, got mine on Chris Kings and they are light and fast and true as truer on a true daY

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks boxelder but I’ve literally just ordered a pair from Rutland Cycling – I’ve found their customer service to be very good in the past and £255 seemed like a great price!

I had forgotten I’d need to buy Olympic rim strips but nevermind – they’re still a good price.

Just need to sell my beautiful 240s now…

delusional
    Free Member

Those seem like a very good price! I was being quoted nearly that much to get some 355s built on to my existing Pro2s.

I’m still undecided as to whether the 355s are a little too light to go on my Pitch though.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Just got a Hope Pro II 20mm with 355 from Wheelpro for my Prince Albert with Pikes. I was a bit concerned it was too light/flexi when matched with the Pikes but I’ve had a set of 355 29ers before and they stood up to everything I could throw at them plus Roger @ Wheelpro was confident it would be fine.

I reckon you’ll break before they do 😉

richc
    Free Member

thats a hell of a price the rims are around £160 on there own.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah – I know! My mate can build wheels now, but he can’t do them for that price, even with free labour! Cracking price.

Can’t wait until they arrive!

New shiney bike things – yay! 😀

ronburgundy

I have been running 355 on Pro2 for about 18 months with absolutely no problems at all. Light, fast, strong – pick all three!

DaveGr
    Free Member

Rims are £80 each, rear hub £120 and front hub £50 so without spokes and labour charge that’s £330 !!!!! Bargain price.

v10
    Free Member

Ive been running 355s on the XC and Flows on the 4x bike for a while now and had no issues what so ever, was initially worried about the lack of eyelets but they have so far seemed to have been unfounded. Running both setups with one layer of yellow tape and standard tyres and have no issues what so ever with seating or burping.

MM those wheels will probably be with you tomorrow, i don’t work in the web department but i know they robbed a pair of 355 Hoops out of my Bike Radar stock pile today so i assume they were for you!

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

V10,

Are Hope Hoops available in 20mm front and 135×12 rear setup?

mtbrDot
    Free Member

are here any heavy xc racers who race on 355s? I’m 175lbs and a bit of scared of ztrs’ low weight and lack of eyelets since I’ve destroyed lots of rims (and all rims without eyelets got cracks around holes) except for mavic maxtals.

v10
    Free Member

tFtR

The front hubs all come with qr and either qr15 or 20mm conversion cups (the more xc oreintated rims come with the 15mm conversions but we can obviously swap these to 20mm to suit).

The rear hub comes as QR only but we always carry 135x12mm conversion kits in stock which can obviously be fitted into the hub. You would be looking at about a £15 up charge for one of these.

On the off chance your after a set of HH Flows then give me a shout, just about to advertise a brand new set as ive just paid for a set to upgrade my better halfs IH 6 point only to find/remember they are 150 back ends! 😐

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stans 355 on Pro 2 – good wheel choice for me? Are the 355 rims good?’ is closed to new replies.