Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sram Butter, Slickoleum alternatives ?
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

Looking for some grease to use when servicing my fork.

Fork specific grease seems expensive, is this just bike tax or is it just an expensive type of grease?

Is there any none bike specific grease I could use instead?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, I get paranoid about oils and grease. Put the wrong one on the fork seals and they swell and you’ve got a FUBAR’d fork that needs a complete rebuild.

Having said that, R&R super-slick works, not much cheaper than SRAM though.

SirHC

RSP Slick Kick Grease

Bought a 500g tub of it. I have a few bikes and do a fair bit of fork servicing for others, so made sense.

endomick
    Free Member

I got some dynamic grease for a £5 from Bike-Discount 150g tub, postage is £5 but if your buying a few things it’s not so bad. Even for a tenner it’s a much bigger tub. It’s slick and white, seems to work well for me so far.

drewd

I use RSP Slick Kick. Still expensive but a bit cheaper than the alternatives, works well and lasts ages as I only service my own forks.

fossy

Red rubber grease is what I used on my Dropper, seal safe !!!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Same here, red rubber grease is safe on everything including your brake piston seals.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use m-prep if I want something heavy and sticky or superlube if I want something lighter.

Only because I have both in stock. At different times, each was recommended for Turner bushes.

Northwind

I got a big pot of Slick Honey a few years back, it was only a few times more expensive than a tub of sram butter and maybe 50 times bigger? It could last me the rest of my riding life tbh

andyrm
    Free Member

Silkolene RG2 has been my go to for years for fork and shock internals. Thin like Slick Honey but very, very slippery.

Cheap too as no “bike tax”……

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always use RG2 in bearings. Never thought to check if it was okay for plastics and rubber.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Perfect, cheers for the replies

tinglesrack
    Free Member

What fork are you servicing? Most modern Fox and Rockshox only require tiny amounts of grease on a full service as its only needed on the air piston and a smear in the stanchion where the air piston runs. The rest of the lubrication is via damping oil or open bath oil.
    A 30ml/1oz pot of Sram Butter or Slick Honey is enough for at least 10 services on most forks

piciu256
    Free Member

Used Silkolene Pro RG2, don’t recommend, the viscosity is the same as slick honey etc. but it’s nowhere near as slippery, it gummed up my fork to be honest… It’s weird, but this grease added a lot of friction when put on any seals, and then the effect was hard to remove, I resorted to washing with oil, which helped. After trying some things I decided it’s not worth it to look for alternatives, now I’m stick with a bunch of different purpose greases and needing to buy the overpriced “special grease” anyway. Guess I’ll at least I have a few selections if bearing grease now 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sram Butter, Slickoleum alternatives ?’ is closed to new replies.