Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SPOTY
  • Dr_Bakes

The Beeb are going to announce the 10 contenders for SPOTY this week. As far as I know this is done 'in house' with the public only getting the chance to vote on this shortlist of 10?

So, what are the chance of Steve Peat getting shortlisted along with the likes of David Haye, Jessica Ennis, Mark Cavendish, Bradley Wiggins and Jenson Button this year?

I think I know the answer but he's a World Champion, long time pro and actually has an interesting personality (not to say that those above don't but, if Zara Phillips could win it one year….?). Cycling has good representation in the media now but is dominated by track and road. I for one would like to see Peaty in his Sunday best and getting a little showreal but won't be holding my breath.

Would the shortlist be any different if the public got to nominate from any and all contenders (as I think happened one year – possibly the one Ms Phillips won!)?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Seeing as in all commentary he's not even been listed as an outsider, I can't see him making the top ten.

Shame really, I think he'd liven up an otherwise dull ceremony…

clubber
    Free Member

Near zero. It's media personality of the year in reality. How many people know who he is or that he's world champ?

AndyP
    Free Member

So, what are the chance of Steve Peat getting shortlisted

none whatsoever. DH has no appeal outside of mountain bikers – and quite a lot of riders aren't interested in it either.
    If it doesn't appeal to Joe Public (in cycling terms that means Olympics and TdF) then it doesn't exist in terms of SPOTY.

Dr_Bakes

[/url]

And yet the BBC had this article on there recently…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Would the shortlist be any different if the public got to nominate from any and all contenders (as I think happened one year – possibly the one Ms Phillips won!)?

Not much. The thing about not getting a bit annoyed by SPOTY is to accept that, as clubber says, both sporting acheivments and personality generally take second place to public profile. Sometimes they overlap, and that's not to say that the winners are necessarily undeserving, but if you take your cyclist's hat off for a minute there's not really that much of a case for Steve Peat.

Dr_Bakes

there's not really that much of a case for Steve Peat.

Aside for him being a World Champ you mean?

Likewise, Jess Ennis, Tom Daley, Beth Tweddle and Phillips Idowu.

However I agree DH is not on most of the public's radar!

DezB
    Free Member

It's nothing to do with their "personality". They are A personality.
    It would make more sense to call it sports person of the year.
    I suspect he'll get a mention in the ceremony somewhere.

BigDummy
    Free Member

there's not really that much of a case for Steve Peat.

If there was a national "Give-a-f*ck-o-meter" that registered these things, down-hill mountainbiking world champ would register just ahead of lawn bowls champion of the universe (heavyweight division). But only just. Getting huffy about this is a waste of good huffing-muscle. 🙂

Dr_Bakes

You'll not become the Huffing World Champ with that attitude Big Dummy 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Well, if SPOTY was to recognise people who have become world champion in any sport, then sure there'd be a case. But since it's actually to recognise people who have done alright in one of the 5 or 6 sports that are on the telly a lot and people actually care about, then there isn't.

Pretty much as BigDummy says.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, hats off to Peat and he'd be just as much a worthy winner as anyone else, but that's just not what SPOTY is about.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ah, I was wondering when we would get this years 'Steve Peat for Sports Personality of the Year' thread.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Funny really because I'd expect that millions of people regularly cycle but less actually do the sports like boxing or athletics that will be represented.

I reckon you could easily "sex up" a downhill MTB showcase and because people actually ride bikes they would at least appreciate how difficult it is.

Funny, if we had a downhill ski champion I expect the press would go nuts.

AndyP
    Free Member

Funny, if we had a downhill ski champion I expect the press would go nuts.
    but downhill ski-ing is fun to watch. I know lots of non-skiers who watch Ski Sunday. Can't think of many cyclists I know, let alone non-cyclists, who'd tune in to a DH MTB programme.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Mark Cavendish but no Steve Pete, oh, and Jensen Button obviously, and some others.

Smee
    Free Member

Cav winning it would be great. Now he does have a personality.

grumm
    Free Member

but downhill ski-ing is fun to watch. I know lots of non-skiers who watch Ski Sunday. Can't think of many cyclists I know, let alone non-cyclists, who'd tune in to a DH MTB programme.

Really? If it had decent coverage I think it could be popular. The freecaster thing is usually a bit crap – not enough cameras and keeps stalling. That race where Sam Hill crashed out near the end and the World Champs were really tense and exciting.

Cav winning it would be great. Now he does have a personality.

It's the personality of a mardy **** though unfortunately.

midlifecrashes

Jenson Button
    Mark Cavendish
    Tom Daley
    Jessica Ennis
    Ryan Giggs
    David Haye
    Phillips Idowu
    Andy Murray
    Andrew Strauss
    Beth Tweddle

Could be good for Cav, most of the others had a couple of good days, Cav had a fantastic year.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Can't see anyone other than Button getting it really. Hard to say objectively that any one of them is more or less deserving than the rest.

chakaping
    Free Member

If he'd won the World Champs and the World Cup I'd agree he should be on the shortlist, but it's difficult to make the case when – if we're honest – Sam Hill has proved he's the better rider (this year).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY’ is closed to new replies.