• This topic has 86 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Spotify will be stealing all your photos and contacts (probably)
  • timidwheeler

Well I care.
    I don’t use Spotify but my dippy relatives do. Which means Spotify now have my email address, which I presume they will happily sell off. I have a couple of email address’s. One I just use for friends and relatives in order to keep it spam free. However, despite only giving it to a few people, it regularly gets spam. I presume its nasty little apps like this, that other people are using, that’s the reason why.

Drac

Yeah. I thought that, too.

Power to the People.

Not hard to work out really.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t use Spotify but my dippy relatives do. Which means Spotify now have my email address, which I presume they will happily sell off. I have a couple of email address’s. One I just use for friends and relatives in order to keep it spam free. However, despite only giving it to a few people, it regularly gets spam. I presume its nasty little apps like this, that other people are using, that’s the reason why.

If you’ve ever used that email address to contact someone with a gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. email address, then those companies have your email address.

teasel
    Free Member

You could’ve explained that without the above addition.

Also, why address me and not Wrecker as he made the first query…?

timidwheeler

Yeah, but I can see why they need it. Spotify clearly don’t need it.

Drac

You could’ve explained that without the above addition.

Also, why address me and not Wrecker as he made the first query…?

Dear me your sensitive.

I quoted you as you wondered too.

teasel
    Free Member

Dear me your sensitive.

My sensitive what…? You appear to have cut off mid sentence. 😉

Drac

Ooops!

wrecker
    Free Member

Power to the People.

I got the gist but it’s pretty out of context considering my brief response to a blunt (and pretty poor) piece of public relations from spotify which was pretty much “don’t like it, piss off” a response of “ok no probs” was fairly measured IMHO.

Drac

It wasn’t meant it that way wrecker it was meant in giving it to the man, you know showing Spotify where to go by not subscribing or cancelling as some have suggested.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeh, I got that. It was a piss take (which I don’t mind at all). It was just very strangely aimed considering the brief, non outraged post. As a value calculation (for me) it doesn’t add up. No big deal, just deleted.

piemonster

Good grief

piemonster

And does the use of “sheeple” not apply the equivalent of Godwin?

Drac

It was just very strangely aimed considering the brief, non outraged post.

I really think you’re looking too much into it.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think I am. I just wondered if there was a deeper meaning that I didn’t get.

Drac

No and sorry if it offended you it wasn’t my intention.

jfletch
    Free Member

The problem we have is that giving corporations access to a lot of information is useful; it allows them to do really cool things such as suggest us music (spotfiy) or give us money off the brand of butter we by most often (clubcard). But in giving them all this information we give them the information required to do something sinister. There doesn’t seem to be suficient protection in law to stop people doing the sinister things or punish them when they do.

I suspect this is because we can’t agree where the line between sinister and cool is. For some people Facebook sugesting friends to you based on trolling through people’s phone books to spot connnections is cool to others it’s sinister. But if facebook sold that phone number database it would definitely be not cool, or would it, what if they sold it to someone who would do cool rather than sinister things.

Basically with great power comes great responsibility.

wrecker
    Free Member

No offense taken!

Drac

No offense taken!

nach
    Free Member

I will laugh, and laugh, and laugh, at anyone saying “If you’ve nothing to hide, you’ve got nothing to fear”.

DezB
    Free Member

I will laugh, and laugh, and laugh

Do it in private, or you might look a bit, you know.. mental.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah, but I can see why they need it. Spotify clearly don’t need it.

How about if the code looks something like this:
    10 “Mrtimidwheeler.paranoid@hotmail.com” has spotify account move to 20 else move to 50.
    20 crossreference music playlists
    30 sugest to both what the other has listened to but they have not
    40 inform relatives that he thinks they’re “dippy” as lonely people listen to more music to increace market share.
    50 move to next e-mail address

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Nothing that we didn’t already know or already be actioning. What the article doesn’t say is that “with your permission” is a condition of using the service.
    So we’re back to square one, if you don’t like this permission, don’t download the app.
    I’m happy with that, but I’m sure there’s plenty out there who are not aware.

timidwheeler

Mrstimidwheeler.patronised@Donthaveaspotifyaccount.co.uk, still doesn’t feel that Spotify have any right to have my email address.
    I think you are a little naive. If it really is that innocent then why not make it easy for people to opt out.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I think you are a little naive. If it really is that innocent then why not make it easy for people to opt out.

The coding would be too complicated for your average app writer to get their head around. 😆

ChrisL

If Spotify has innocuous or (depressingly this seems unlikely) genuinely customer-focused reasons for gathering this information, why don’t they specify them in their privacy policy? Instead of saying “we have the right to track your location and movements”, they could say “we have the right to track your location and movements in order to suggest geographically-relevant and activity-relevant music to you, but we will not use this information for any other purposes”.

That may produce a longer privacy policy and take a tiny bit more time to write (compared to the development time of the technologies required) but it would at least help reduce the feeling that they’re scraping all the data they can get and using it in any way they reckon might make them a fast buck.

jfletch
    Free Member

If it really is that innocent then why not make it easy for people to opt out

It is easy to opt out. You have to accept the Ts&Cs but the Ts&Cs aren’t asking for permision. They are saying “if you give us permission then we will use your stuff in ways outlined here”. In iOS you will still need to actually allow Spotify to access your stuff and AFAIK Android is the same.

So you can sign the Ts&Cs which gives Spoify permission to use your data, but then not give them that data.

nach
    Free Member

The issue isn’t that Spotify have some sinister agenda, or even that they might sell data. It’s that startups and social networks repeatedly pile up vast amounts of private data while demonstrating an extremely blasé attitude toward privacy and what happens to that data in the future.

Facebook and Uber have been some of the biggest offenders so far. Uber (at least in the past) have let any employee access customer data and have broadcast certain people’s locations in realtime at public events. Facebook, despite having to be audited over privacy by the US government every year until sometime in the 2020’s, because of how badly they’ve abused confidential user information before, are still ultimately in the business of selling that data to other people and forever poking at the boundaries of what’s legal.

Loads of other startups are piling up the data with little regard for edge cases. Outside of startups, there are (for instance) free torch apps on Google Play that ask for a ridiculous number of permissions during installation, then harvest data and pass it on to the developer for sale. All of these things expose not only your own data, but anyone’s data you happen to have a copy of.

These things aren’t a massive a threat at all for most of us, and probably won’t become so, but the things they do with data can become a massive threat to vulnerable people. If you think for a second you, one of your friends or family couldn’t become vulnerable or have a need for privacy within the course of a few days or hours, then you’re naïve at best.

wwaswas

Ah, looks like a climb down/’what we really meant was blog;

A blog post by Spotify CEO Daniel Ek

https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

Northwind

It’s all a bit

wrecker
    Free Member

Badly worded press releases like the original one can cost companies dear. I deleted spotify today, I wonder how many others did?
    Kudos to the CEO for picking it up, I wonder how the meeting went with the author of the original “If you don’t agree with the terms of this Privacy Policy, then please don’t use the Service” person?

Drac

When it goes live, as it’s not yet, they may just have that option.

BoardinBob

I may be missing the point entirely here, but simply having a phone with contacts, pictures, whatever in it, means somebody out there has access to your movements and anything you’ve got on your phone. Why are people suddenly up in arms about this? It seems to be the trade off for having a super duper smart phone with all kinds of fancy apps.

If you’re that much of a para wreck that this concerns you then you probably need to regress a bit, technology wise.

Drac

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If you’re that much of a para wreck that this concerns you then you probably need to regress a bit, technology wise.

What makes you think that people who don’t want their address books rifled through or their photos accessed are para wrecks?

BoardinBob

What makes you think that people who don’t want their address books rifled through or their photos accessed are para wrecks?

Because its all floating about out there anyway. If it bothers you that much revert back to a pen and a physical address book

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Because its all floating about out there anyway. If it bothers you that much revert back to a pen and a physical address book

That’s excellent. And how do you deal with you low self esteem?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Welcome to the future. It’s big data init. Its just going to get bigger and more pervasive as the years go by. About 99.9? of people don’t even know it happens. Just have a look at all the permissions the new windows 10 has switched on by defaut now…you either go with the flow and accept it, and hope another Hitler doesn’t come to power 😆 or take yourself offline. No real other alternative. Pissing against the wind would be more successful.

nach
    Free Member

I may be missing the point entirely here, but simply having a phone with contacts, pictures, whatever in it, means somebody out there has access to your movements and anything you’ve got on your phone.

Phone companies and governments aren’t run by a bunch of indiscreet rich kids who think office slides are the shit.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Spotify will be stealing all your photos and contacts (probably)’ is closed to new replies.