Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Sports you just don't get..
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Golf. It seems that all famous people play it but I can’t for the life of me understand why. It’s just not very interesting from what I can see.

Basketball the epitome of a ridiculous and boring sport. Watching a bunch of 7ft freaks runing up one end of the court and them the other for an hour, only to have (providing it is close) the last minute or two provide any meaning or suspense. Laughable.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Road riding.

djglover
    Free Member

Swimming.

Mind numbing

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I like golf on the Wii but not in real life 😯

I agree basketball is boring to watch and don’t get me started on F1 at least with MotoGP people overtake each other but that’s boring too.

I used to do synchronised swimming for the northern counties, we were rubbish, I wouldn’t have wanted to watch us or any other team

*disclaimer* if anyone tells anyone outside of here what I used to to I know where you all live I will hunt you down

MSP

I am not particularly worried about being hunted down by a synchronised swimmer.

Moe

Basketball? …… Football is no different!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Watching most competitive sports is pretty boring, whatever it is.

However, most sports you are at least able to participate in yourself and gain some enjoyment from, whether you like watching them or not.

Therefore I dont get Formula 1 at all, incredibly dull to watch and you cant even take part in it yourself. What a load of shite

Cougar

Most of ’em, to be honest. I’m not really much of a spectator sport person, I’d rather be out (or in) doing something.

I think perhaps I’d have more time for watching sports if we weren’t constantly bombarded with media saturation and fan evangelism. People get so obsessed that when confronted with someone who doesn’t follow their sport they react like they’ve just met a Martian. Football especially, you just can’t get away from; I’m sick of the bloody game without ever watching a match. (Not to say I’ve never watched it, I have, I’ve really have tried but it just leaves me cold.)

The only time I’ve ever really followed a sport is when it’s been fairly niche; I was into American Football as a teenager, and followed British ice hockey for a couple of seasons a few years back. I went to an ice hockey game a couple of weeks back actually, for the first time in forever, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But for me, that’s ticked the box, I don’t really get why people would want to buy season tickets for a sport year after year. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that per sé, I guess it’s like a hobby, just saying that it’s not for me, I don’t get it.

It’s like, to pick an artist fairly at random, I really like the Foo Fighters and I’ll go and see them when they’re touring. But I won’t buy tickets for every show, that’d be weird; much as I like them, I’d rather go see other bands too. I guess sport is the same, much as I enjoyed ice hockey I’ve seen it now, show me something new.

woody2000

Competitive Computer Gaming, WTF 😕

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fSz1mrHM0[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Soccer.

Utterly, mind numbingly, soul destroyingly dull as shite

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t like cricket.

iDave
    Free Member

I can watch any sport that has some drama unfolding. I have no desire to play golf, but the last round of the masters was great. Hate cricket with a passion but when England won the ashes in 08(?) it was great viewing. Sport is just people fighting to win stuff they may have wanted since they were a kid. All about passion, the mode of delivery hardly matters.

headfirst
    Free Member

Fishing – either participating or spectating

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s just not very interesting from what I can see.

so speaketh a non-golfer.

You experience a whole range of emotions on the golf course and it is challenging to keep everything under control mentally – witness the Masters collapse by Rory on Sunday.

This is why business deals get done on a golf course – it is hard to hide your true self.

Fishing – wtf is the point of that? It is you against the fish…

crazy-legs

Darts. Does darts even count as a sport?
    Oh and football. How or why that is pretty much the most popular sport/game in the world I will never know.

Cougar

I don’t like cricket.

Oh no?

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

I watched a sport once on Bravo i think it was when i was younger, which involved

Basketball mixed with American Football and Trampolines

that was quite watchable from an amusement point of view!

Disclaimer* I’m pretty sure this is real but there is always the possibility I dreamt it but if not, i’m sorry i brought this in to your lives

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is why business deals get done on a golf course – it is hard to hide your true self.

Fishing – wtf is the point of that? It is you against the fish…

2 little nuggets of comedy gold right there! 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

People get so obsessed that when confronted with someone who doesn’t follow their sport they react like they’ve just met a Martian. Football especially

I can sort of understand obsession with football, as it all sort of ties back to supporting/playing/being proud of your home town/city/roots etc. etc.

F1 on the other hand. I cant see why it makes two people in my office talk so passionately about it, how can they even relate to it? (apart from the fact its dull)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

NO!

psychle
    Free Member

I don’t like cricket.

Oh no?

I love it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @ Psychle!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh and football. How or why that is pretty much the most popular sport/game in the world I will never know.

Eh? The fact near enough anyone can partake in it (unlike mtbing where you need to be incredibly rich and/or live in a specific area to be able to do it)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi
    Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi
    Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi Kabaddi

Torminalis
    Free Member

Oh no?

He loves it.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it.

yoshimi

Erm, I like pretty much all sports including those above such as golf & fishing – how can anyone not get drawn into darts on the TV!?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Road cycling is still duller than all of the above.

I mean, it’s bad enough riding on the road, but watching a bunch of blokes pedal up a hill on telly is just mental.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I don’t like cricket.
    Oh no?

I love it !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Member

I don’t like cricket.
    Oh no?

I love it !

I don’t like failure….

binners

I was somewhat baffled that they now televise Poker. WTF is that all about?

I’d rather bang nails into my eyes than watch golf. I do remember a time when F1 was worth watching as it was really good . Long time ago that, mind – probably the era of turbo-charged mental-ness.

Now you can watch the start and the first lap (which I tend to do) then go and do something interesting, as that’s how the race will finish. How anyone can sit through hours of that tedium is utterly beyond me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Curling, pointless.. it’s just skidding with brooms, for fat ladies.
    Dance Aerobics.. fit girls with string
    Sailing.. (i sail competitively BTW) but watching it, dull as.
    Athletics.. drug filled, attention seeking, obsessed..
    Marathon Running.. ok, for the partaker it’s all encompassing, but watching it.. forget it.
    Sheep Racing (for those in Devon)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it ! I love it !

molgrips
    Free Member

Agree with iDave. If it was truly rubbish it wouldn’t be on TV cos no-one would watch it or play it.

I’ve been drawn into all sorts of things. Snooker, bowls, darts, DH skiing, sailing ffs.. because of this, I absolutely love the Olympics and would watch all of every sport if I could.

Actually having said that, the only things that leave me a little cold ar the things with artistic impression in them. So figure skating, that kind of thing, but worst is dressage.

Oh and open water swimming is pretty difficult to watch. Can’t really tell the difference between that and dropping sausages into a tank of hungry piranhas.

Road cycling is still duller than all of the above

No way – it’s gripping! You’re not simply watching some bloke pedalling, you’re watching a race and a whole tour unfold.

richmtb

Football, its not that I don’t get it, I mean I understand the rules and objectives of the game. I just don’t get why our society is so absorbed by it

EDIT – Come to think of it I’m pretty sure half the people that claim to like it are only pretending becuase they feel they have to.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Cricket must hold the distinction of being the only sport which is better to watch than play.

If your’re just watching you dont have to worry about being woken from your dream-like haze by people shouting at you to run after the ball and throw it back.

Also you can continue to drink your beer/tea/water in peace without someone suggesting its your turn to stand in the middle of the field for a couple minutes.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dressage.. seriously no one can find that good can they, dancing with horses what a pile of [words that’d get me banned]

MrSmith
    Free Member

horse racing
    ‘sport of kings’? GTF it’s a betting vehicle nothing more.

Cougar

I can sort of understand obsession with football, as it all sort of ties back to supporting/playing/being proud of your home town/city/roots etc. etc.

I’m sure all the cockneys get a lump in their throat when they see their team, Manchester United, playing on the big screen with all their local homeboys from Korea and Serbia. Even MU’s “English” are from all over the place; a quick Google would suggest one from Tyneside, one from London and one from Liverpool. Total number of Mancunians playing for Man United = one. That’s not home town pride, that’s a statistical error.

Once of a time I’d have agreed with you, but it’s big business these days and the ‘home’ location is largely coincidental IMHO.

I love it!

Thank you everyone, I hate to see a good feed line go to waste.

Cougar

The fact near enough anyone can partake in it (unlike mtbing

You can get a bargain basement new bike for sub-£100 which will get you out and about. I sold one recently for ten quid.

Sure, you can spend thousands, but I’d respectfully suggest that the denizens of STW aren’t fairly representative of off-road cyclists as a whole.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It seems alot of people on here hate sport. Are you the same people that are all doing the iDave diet?

“Hate sport, hate your body. And become a fat knacker”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Sports you just don't get..’ is closed to new replies.