Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Sports photographers at events high prices for downloads of pics! your thoughts
  • postierich
    Free Member

I would have been happy with that pic above it would have made me look rad for once!
    I,m not saying £6 is unreasonable but just saying a lot more photos i reckon would be sold at a lower price.
    Here is one I have purchased and was happy with not sure how much I paid 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/smcmQY]_DSC1498_1700x1130[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s entirely subjective. If you’ve never raced you might be glad of any picture and happily pay. Or a seasoned racer might not be interested in something unless it’s amazing.

Subjectivity aside (assuming it’s good enough that you want it) then I think £10-15 pounds is a reasonable price for a reasonable pic. I rarely race but I’ve paid that a few times for shot’s I’ve liked. If it was an absolute cracker I think I’d dig deep, and the better the shot the more I’d pay.

As someone above has stated the market for a picture is exactly one person. If someone isn’t willing to pay £6 then I’d have to assume it’s not a particularly good picture.

Another point to consider is that people wold buy a lot more pictures were it not possible to copy/printscreen/tag etc and otherwise get images for free.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I would buy a photo if it was good, the stuff I see on the site with the word Sunday in are at best boring and un exciting taken with the minimum in effort and the result is worth very little imo.

rOcKeTdOg

I charge £5 always try and get unusual angles. Look out for me at mayhem 😉

dropoff

Well I’ve actually read all of the posts with interest, myself and Mrs Dropoff have spent several years (untill this year when we decided to call it a day) taking pics of you lot doing your thing.
    I’m not going to try to justify costs, but heres some of our expenses over a typical weekend,
    Travel + accom £100
    Food £30 (2 days)

Kit we woould use
    Canon
    1Dmk3ds
    1Dmk3
    5Dmk3
    70-200 2,8
    8-15 4
    24-70 2.8
    300 2.8
    35 1.4
    580 exii flash guns (3)
    Remote triggers

All that lot adds up to quite alot 🙂
    It also weighs a fair bit and after a weekends lugging it around you know it.
    As for not positioning ourslves correctly, well its sometimes down to the riders, some people get off and walk the technical sections so its often pointless locating yourself at those points.

After the events its a mad scramble to get home, get the pics rush processed and up online before Monday morning, when everyone wants to see them.
    As for pricing, after paypal fees and website owners cut (20%) we decided that it was no longer worth doing.
    Still enjoyed it but definately not a money maker.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t be a tightarse OP you could buy a photo or a 12 pack of bog roll, the choice is yours.

skids
    Free Member

it’s alright i think if you are going to put it in a frame or get a big canvas printed up to put on your wall or something like that

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oooh, even better, get mugs and keyrings made and give them to the relatives at christmas

badllama
    Free Member

Bloody hell I’ve done loads of type of photo gigs but I’m glad I never tried to make money out of you lot 😀

At equestrian events we used to charge £10.00 – £15.00 or a 9×6 Print in a slip in frame.
    Some times we made no money sometimes we made a bit, taking into account travel, staff insurance, kit you have to sell A LOT of prints to make any real money to be honest.

I did start to look into biking events once but looking at the OP glad I did not bother. 🙂

IA

Thing is, persuading someone to spend any money at all is the hard bit. But if someone’s willing to pay £4 they’ll probably pay the extra £2.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Prices in UK are far better than those in Europe. Looking at twice, three times as much at Alpine events, and they’re not always that amazing photos.

As a very amateur photographer I know how devalued the business is now. Had an approach for stock air show shots to use by the company that ran it for flyers, and as an amateur I looked up typical prices (around £100 at least for the usage they wanted), and thought to get started I’d price at a fraction of that, more around £25 with door open to negotiating lower. Never heard back and then they stole the photos. Despite my efforts other than taking them to court, no money. Okay it was nice seeing photos in print but it was theft.

Since then I get approaches on Flickr for using my photos, “sorry, we can’t afford to pay but you get your photo in print”, yeah, screw that. That’s how much businesses are prepared to pay, i.e. nothing. Average consumer wants to pay nothing really also.

So I appreciate the charges as a photographer, but I’m conflicted as a consumer that event photos with thousands shot of meh quality are charged so much.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

>jimjam

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think I’ll start offering a £3:99 retouch service. Send me the watermarked pic of you bimbling a sportive or doing a walk of shame on a little hill and I’ll remove the watermark and make you look fabulous for your mousemat/key fob/desk calendar

Northwind

I’ve bought a few, for a really good shot it’s a bargain imo, I’ve got pictures I’ll probably be showing the grandkids. Then again, my favourite riding shot is a selfie still I pulled from a gopro video, it’s my desktop 😆

Roots and Rain is a bloody brilliant resource- I’d have bought a lot more pics but I don’t have the patience to go through a thousand unsorted pics. I don’t resent spending £6 or whatever though.

matt_outandabout

I think I’ll start offering a £3:99 retouch service. Send me the watermarked pic of you bimbling a sportive or doing a walk of shame on a little hill and I’ll remove the watermark and make you look fabulous for your mousemat/key fob/desk calendar

Could you just photoshop me onto a bike?

Russell96

Approach it from the angle of de-constructing the base costs for producing the pic >>

Time spent at an event with the number of photos taken and edited (easy with digital but post prod takes some time) + cost of travel to said event + depreciation on equipment + website running costs + card transaction fees then divided by the subset of riders who purchase the pics, I’d guess 1 in 10 is prob a generous ratio, add in the usual taxes and business running costs, nat insurance, pension, bit of fat to cover having some time off from the business to have some hols in the year and so on. All of a sudden the price starts to look cheap.

colournoise

Not a pro, but do teach Photography so have some vague idea.

More than happy to pay up to a tenner for a decent res download as a memento of an event or a day’s riding at somewhere like BPW, Antur or Chicksands.

As has been said, bit of a bargain considering time, gear, hosting, etc.

leth
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t pay it.
    Photos taken from the outside looking in don’t intrest me. I can’t relate to them.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I absolutely love having a decent picture from an event, and will happily pay quite a lot for a good ‘un.

I’ve also been known to buy pictures of other people for them, as the practice of linking a water-marked picture on Facebook annoys me. Event photographers have to make some kind of living: if you like the picture enough to show your mates, just pay the price of an inner-tube for it already….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Photos taken from the outside looking in don’t intrest me. I can’t relate to them.

I’ve read this 3 or 4 times now and I still have no idea what your on about?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Incidentally, for any of the photographers reading:

I would pay quite a large amount for imaginative and amazeballs photoshop work with a race photo.

If jimjam’s awesome piccy up there ^^^^^ was me, if he could get rid of the spectators and add some pterodactyls, or dark thunder-clouds and lightning and a massive dust-cloud to indicate my speed and awesomeness, I’d cheerfully cough up GBP40 for a hi-res digital file.

If anyone is up for this, email me: I’ve got a nice-ish one from last year to play with….

😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve read this 3 or 4 times now and I still have no idea what your on about?[/quote]

He bought the pictures from his colonoscopy. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Almost any picture can be improved by adding more pterodactyls.

😉

gee
    Free Member

I don’t buy many images these days, but after Roc Ardennes I bought a set of about 12 for 20 euros. High res, decent images. They even came with a map to show where each one was taken. As this is such good value, loads of people buy them and so they make decent money…

ferrals
    Free Member

I haven’t bought a cycling image but I’d certainly pay for something like that enduro one, with or without pterodactlys. I think there are two issues with cycling ones, firstly a lot of the xc ones don’t exactly look spectacular so once you’ve seen one photo of you slogging along some flat singletrack you’ve seen them all, I’d be much more keen to buy if the photo was on an a-line making it look difficult! Secondly so many get uploaded onto facebook to look at for free which reduces the percieved value.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Running event yesterday. £19.95 for one image; seemed a little pricey…

DezB
    Free Member

£10 for 3 pics from the QE Enduro. Only time anyone has ever made me look decent on a bike, so I paid him a tenner. Wish I’d had my tongue in my gob though.

If it’s their job/business I think paying a bit is ok.
    If they’re a hobbyist, like me, they should be free. I let parents download the rugby ones I take for nothing.

nemesis
    Free Member

I buy pics at £6ish and TBH I don’t really care all that much how ‘good’ they are – they’re not for other people, they’re for me and act as a memory jog – when I look through old pics, the pic is enough to remind me of the days/event/whatever and I don’t particularly need it to be good for that.

Of course, if they do have pterodactyls or make me somehow look gnarcore then I’m not going to complain about that.

I quite like this one though – CX radness 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

one of my favourites
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/e5ZxSb]Stonefly, Mt Buller (Stage 1 Bike Buller)[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

stevied
    Free Member

I think £poorly-octopus is a good price for a pic. IIRC it was about £10 for one from Antur and £2.99 from BPW.
    I’d happily pay £10 for a decent pic of me somewhere I’d never get a photo of me riding normally..it all adds to the day I think

cookeaa

Interesting range of views skimming this thread.

I tend to view Event’s photographers as being in a similar category to most of the people taking part in a race; enthusiasts doing what they love for personal enjoyment rather than financial gain. I don’t think the vast majority expect to turn a profit for their weekend’s work, TBH if they did then they’d be snapping Weddings instead.

Are the prices fair? Who knows I tend to look at the shots, decide that I might like the pic’ but I’m not really that bothered and just leave it. I’m sure if I was further up the results I might fancy a picture and the prices I tend to see would be acceptable to me then.

I don’t think they’re taking the piss at all, it’s a completely discretionary purchase at the end of the day…

fasthaggis

I have some excellent race photos,considering how much photoshopping they needed to make me look good,I think they are worth every penny.

Northwind

My brother paid £40 for a couple of photos and a video of him crossing the line at a marathon, and didn’t think it too expensive…

I think the point though was more “maybe you’d make more money by selling more, for less”. I suspect round here, if you started selling photos for £3 Ian Linton would put a horse’s head in your bed though.

poah
    Free Member

if you started selling photos for £3 Ian Linton would put a horse’s head in your bed though

that’s what pisses me off about photographers, its none of any ones business what you charge.

jemima
    Free Member

Surely Ian Linton wouldn’t be fussed if others sold pictures at £3 as his are usually far superior pictures and well worth the money in my opinion.

Some of the conditions the photogs sit out in all day and the kit they risk wrecking means I’m usually happy to pay a few pounds for a decent picture. For the photogs who take multiple pictures of each rider perhaps a ‘volume discount’ could be a nice touch.

At the end of the day, at events you’re £30-£60 entry, tank of fuel for travel, accommodation, multiple thousand pounds bike. If there’s a picture which captures your good side and reminds you of a good weekend I don’t think £6 is unreasonable.

jimjam
    Free Member

cookeaa

Interesting range of views skimming this thread.

I tend to view Event’s photographers as being in a similar category to most of the people taking part in a race; enthusiasts doing what they love for personal enjoyment rather than financial gain. I don’t think the vast majority expect to turn a profit for their weekend’s work, TBH if they did then they’d be snapping Weddings instead.

Yes, but just like the competitors there will be some who are there just for a laugh, and others who take things rather more seriously. Whilst it’s true that there’s not much money to be made, that doesn’t mean quality shouldn’t be rewarded. The old “you love it, so why should I pay you a decent wage” excuse is one that a lot of people who’ve been to art college or do anything creative will have heard a lot, and quickly learned as an indicator that someone is a **** and best avoided.

poah – Member

if you started selling photos for £3 Ian Linton would put a horse’s head in your bed though

that’s what pisses me off about photographers, its none of any ones business what you charge.

I think you’ll find that most people who are self employed professionals take a dim view of being undercut by cowboys/enthusiastic amateurs etc etc, not just photographers.

Northwind

jemima – Member

Surely Ian Linton wouldn’t be fussed if others sold pictures at £3 as his are usually far superior pictures and well worth the money in my opinion.

I think so- I probably have more of his than anyone else’s- but there’ll always be people who think it’s a bargain to pay half as much for a job a tenth as good. And in a small market that’s trouble for the people who do a good job.

poah
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that most people who are self employed professionals take a dim view of being undercut by cowboys/enthusiastic amateurs etc etc, not just photographers.

and? my feelings are the same. when I was a self employed photographer I couldn’t careless what other people were charging. Never understood why others would get so worked up about it what with it being a free market.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The old “you love it, so why should I pay you a decent wage” excuse is one that a lot of people who’ve been to art college or do anything creative will have heard a lot, and quickly learned as an indicator that someone is a **** and best avoided.

which is why it’s best to avoid selling to the general public, they generally want everything for nothing, at least with B2B you are less likely to offend more likely to be paid a proper rate and more likely to avoid idiots (though not always)

the tools are readily available and lets face it event photography isn’t exactly difficult, which is why so many dabble in it. the fiscal rewards reflect the market (tight fisted public) and the skill level. cant really take a ‘dim view’ on somebody taking their DSLR are shooting an event if they produce decent enough results. if that erodes your business offer better quality or change your business.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Sports photographers at events high prices for downloads of pics! your thoughts’ is closed to new replies.