Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Speccing a Bike Build
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Why oh why is it so damned hard to spec up a complete new build bike? I mean, a build with few limits and no requirement to recycle old parts – the last time I'll probably ever get the chance…………

and it is so bliddy difficult! I've never had so many choices before and it is killing me! The internet isn't much help either – too many opinions and too much choice! ARRGGHHHHHHH!

soobalias
    Free Member

go with your fist choice, gut feeling.

in black,

oh and make sure its hope brakes 😉

rs
    Free Member

too much choice = too much money

Have never had a problem speccing my bikes although they kind of evolve over time, and only one was ever built from scratch, still have some of those parts on my current build.

What are you building, what are you undecided on? We'll soon set you straight 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you can't decide, just go for form over function every time. Can't loose!
    😉

soobalias
    Free Member

oh yeah and 26" wheels is the only place to start.

thomthumb
    Free Member

never have this trouble. although i've been known to buy 2 sets of tyres with a bike 😕

what you struggling with?

TooTall
    Free Member

It is going to be 29er

Wheels – actually masses of choice now I have to go custom built
    Brakes – been discussed – close to a decision – but what rotor size?
    Bars – want widest and highest rise for my simian-like arms
    Cranks – want 180mm for my slightly long legs so probably XT
    Seat – probably WTB V
    Forks – probably Fox
    SRAM X9 shifting – long or med rear shifter?
    Posh Cables too?
    Tyres?
    Oury grips?
    White, raw or probably glimmer brown?
    Red bits?
    Cassette? 11-34?

*faints*

bombadillo
    Free Member

forks, probably white bros 😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

brakes, if your heavy then 203 front 183 rear, if your not 183 front and 160 rear.

grips – black

bars – rf atlas

rear mech –
    1 ring = short
    2 ring – med
    3 ring – long

rs
    Free Member

ah! I see your problem, 29er, can't help you there 😕

soobalias
    Free Member

saddle – fizik gobi
    forks – go for floats, you wont use talas and may struggle to get the right sag on vans

thomthumb
    Free Member

wheels: hope on bonty duster or stans flow. 8)

andrewh
    Free Member

Posh cables?

Yes, Alligator i-links.

MrTall
    Free Member

I went through it recently when i specced up my Salsa 29er. Ended up with full XT groupset (with 180mm cranks but i can't tell any difference with them) 203 front rotor, 185 rear. 11-34 cassette. Went with 760mm wide Nukeproof bars which are ace and a Maxle Lite Reba 120mm fork which is just superb. As for wheels i went for Sun Ringle charger (20mm version) which seem fine so far. i was going to go custom with Hope hubs but found the Chargers on here in the classifieds for half price (unused) so went with them.
    Very happy with the whole bike so far and don't regret a single choice i made.
    Is this for a Turner?

Oh, and Sunline Logo grips in the thick version Best and biggest grips i have found for larger hands.

TooTall
    Free Member

This build might just be for a Turner 8)

I want bolt-thru hubs (it makes sense for my size) so might be heading down King hubs, DS Swiss spokes on to Stans Flow rims.

Soobalias – there are limited options on Fox 20er forks – shoosh.

takisawa2

It's obviously down to personal choice, but if I ever get to spec a new build then the following would be non-negotiable:-

Pro2 Hubs.
    XT Cassette.
    Thomson Seatpost.
    Hope Q/R.
    Thomson X4 Stem.
    King headset.

The rest is negotiable. 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Jeez. Its not that hard. Just write down what you want and then order it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Thanks coogan. I'd just like to get it right first time and not sell it to buy something very similar – that would just be a real dumbass thing to do.

mymorph
    Free Member

keep the weight down
    lookout for deals on wheels etc.
    i think youll need a long rear mech if your running 3 rings

dont be afraid to go over budget- itll be worth it

bombadillo
    Free Member

TooTall
    a bloke you had a conversation with on a bridge has some 29r forks to suit you, so i have been told.

z1ppy

MrTall, I believe it's about time you posted some pic's of that…

(unless of cource you have already)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Specing a new bike with little regard to cost?

rohloff would be a starting point then other stuff flows from that

Hope brakes and front hub

Marzocchi forks

Ordinary cables

Dunno about the rest of it tho. I know exactly where you are coming from with the two much choice without anything to differentiate the choices. I had to decide on a new bike as a insurance replacement and found that very hard – no bike had everything I wanted and it was a case of compromise "a" and get "b" or vice versa

TooTall
    Free Member

TJ – I'm hoping I can sort the build quicker than your OCD would let you! I'll admit to researching but not like you would do – then again, I did test ride a bike in Arkansas so that was a bit extreme.

bomba – I can't remember riding on bridges – I can only just remember where I live! I'm buying all new this time.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Speccing a Bike Build’ is closed to new replies.