Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Spec me a Holiday destination
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Been going to Rhodes for the past 4 years (Faliraki, Kalithea, Lindos) absolutely adore the place have been self catering and All inclusive.
    Have been to Kos, Santorini, Corfu. Crete and Rhodes is still my favourite.
    Usually go early September or Early October. I like a resort with plenty of tavernas, bars and restaurants but don’t want somewhere with drunken British getting smashed (Kavos, Malia and faliraki before 2009)

Enjoy historical sites, good food, nice beaches, nice shops and somewhere where I’m not going to get hassled to by tat like some resorts in Tunisia.

Any suggestions. Not mainland Spain though.

Merak

Croatia.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Rhodes is still my favourite.

Errr… why not Rhodes then?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Dunno I enjoy Rhodes but I’m sure there is other destinations. Tried Tunisia twice (was a kid) Turkey once (Like Tunisia but a bit livelier) Dominican Republic (wasn’t keen) Orlando (18 years old loved it) Perth Australia (didn’t want to come back)

ElShalimo

Cinque Terre

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cinque Terre

A work colleague of mine went there, said it was awesome.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Simi is charming, by all accounts. My parents have been back five times now.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Check out Fiskardo in Kefalonia. You’ll love it.

Philby

Kefalonia – beautiful island.

Or how about Cuba – but don’t stay in the resort hotels in the North.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Or how about Cuba – but don’t stay in the resort hotels in the North.

I hear they have better resorts in the south.

Trinidad is by all accounts a good bet or if you fancy a bit further off the usual trail Tobago. A lot less sketchy than the rest of the Carribean as well.

If you really want to push the boat out then there is always Guam. Absolutely stunning, fantastic diving, WW2 history and not likely to find some idiot who only rolled up for the crap nightlife. Is a bit of a trek mind, you need to get to Japan first and then it’s another big flight out there so I imagine it’s going to be mega expensive just for the travel. Knew a few people who got paid off there and couldn’t recommend it enough though.

oldnpastit

Enjoy historical sites, good food, nice beaches, nice shops and somewhere where I’m not going to get hassled to by tat like some resorts in Tunisia.

You’ve just described Northumberland!

Plus some great mountain biking as a bonus!

wrecker
    Free Member

Croatia.

Shhhhhhh!

peteandsoo
    Free Member

+1 for croatia

Mackem

You say not mainland Spain, but what about the Basque Country?, or the whole of the North? Very different from the Benidorm experience. Great cities, great food, lots of fiestas in the summer.

koldun
    Free Member

Croatia, North Spain or for something totally different maybe Chiemsee in South Germany?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Clacton.

globalti
    Free Member

Calvi in Corsica. Nice restaurants, quiet place, town is only 10 minutes from the airport, decent snorkelling and beach and you won’t be harrassed. The only Brits who go there are walkers and the French are generally well-behaved.

Plus you’ve got the entire fascinating island to explore if you can get a hire car – they are in short supply in French holiday season.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sorrento is nice. Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Naples on the doorstep, Rome about 3 hours away by car or coach.

robgal
    Free Member

Carvoeiro in Portugal is excellent, plus cheap flights into faro with the albufeira mobs

mcj78
    Free Member

Cinque Terre is nice, however pretty touristy (plus a constant stream of folk getting on & off that train for an hour in each village along the coast) – much of the Amalfi coast is the same, Positano etc. are lovely but you’ll be paying tourist prices for the views.

If you like the sound of Italy, an hour on the ferry from Naples is Ischia which is great & full of Italians on holiday – been a few times & going back next month – nice & chilled. October might be starting to cool down a bit though – season usually runs from June to September.

bearnecessities

Top tip: Spam at about 5am like everyone else 🙂

goldfish24

Or Sardinia. Italian (so good food), but it’s an island (so even more relaxed). I stayed in Cala gonone a few years back and it was great, off the tourist trail, but it might have grown up a bit now.

grantway
    Free Member

Recently been to Alicante town very nice bars and restaurants where many dine in the streets
    Very nice and only 15min journey to the Town from the Airport

BillMC

Antigua, Guatemala. Lovely town with great bars (eg Ocelot) and restaurants and a good point to travel out from to eg the Lake Atitlan or volcanoes (I cycled up one, kin hard work). El Salvador is half a day away with great surf in El Tunco and elsewhere. I went two years running I liked it so much.
    Don’t overlook the opportunities afforded by AirBnB. Since December I’ve had adventures in Estonia, Canaries, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria and France, Lisbon in July…infinitely more interesting than hotels.

edhornby

How about Turkey – Kalkan was this in spades when I went a few years ago, got a flight to Dalaman (IIRC) then a hire car to get yourself down the coast. loads of great bars restaurants, loads of ruins etc

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a Holiday destination’ is closed to new replies.