Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sourdough recipes
  • Albanach

Goven the yeast shortage for my normal bread baking I got my sourdough starter ready to bake and looking for some recipe inspiration. Given the white flour shortage looking for something with a 50:50 wholemeal vs white split. Anyone got good recipes?

alanf

Have also been looking at this but round here there is a shortage of yeast and any flour.
    We have some from before this all kicked off but not sure how long it will last.
    Watching with interest – if flour start becoming available again.

Albanach

I used this recipe for my starter in case your looking for a recipe

Premier Icon mrwhyte
    Subscriber

My standard is a 500g flour- I usually do a 70/30 split of white to brown (I always play around with the ratios though). 360ml of water, 8g of salt. 25-50g of starter, depending upon which starter I am using.

I then do the the knead where you stretch and fold, turn 90 degrees and wait 5 mins, stretch and fold, turn 90 and so on. Do this about 10 times. Its a faff but works.

Then in fridge for retardation. Usually over night. Then second prove in ambient temp, last 30 mins in the fridge. Back at 240 for first 10 mins then down to 200 for 30 mins.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

If you want a decent crust. Place a shallow baking tray in the oven on the shelf under where the loaf will go during pre-heating. Put loaf in oven and then add boiling water to the tray, take care it may spit. Shut door and leave alone.

Albanach

First couple loaves made-crumb was a wee bit tight but good crust and made lovely toast. Going to change recipes and be a lot more patient this time. Notice from other threads that the yeast and flour shortage is hitting, I managed to get a bulk preset of flour from a mill here in Ireland so maybe that’s a route folk could go through in UK. Any body else started their starter?

Premier Icon leondemille
    Subscriber

Use a casserole dish, preheat it for at least 1.5 hours at the hottest temp your oven will got to, bake for twenty minutes then lid off for the last ten.

Kat at locharberfarm.com does excellent classes if you’re near St Andrews

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.