• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sorry, PAYG phone sim for data in Europe?
  • alanl
    Free Member

As in a thread a couple of years ago, I’ve made an old phone into a bike GPS.
    Being pretty useless with phones, I need to either download the local maps to the phone beforehand, or, buy a PAYG SIM for use when on the road.
    I’m going to need Calais to Dieppe (I know, pretty easy, a paper map will do for that one), but more involved will be UK to Prague with some detours on the way.

So, is it possible to download the maps beforehand, so online data is not needed on the move, or, do I really need to put a SIM in this phone, if so, which to go for, being as I only need data?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

P-Jay
    Free Member

With google maps you can download any amount of map data you want, doesn’t need much storage.

It expires after a certain amount of time – 30 days I think, I don’t know why.

It’s a pretty good sat-nav

deadkenny
    Free Member

Depends on the app.

Viewranger for example can be preloaded with maps. Bit of a faff with free maps like Open Street Map stuff as have to select areas by tiles to cache offline, but certainly possible. OS maps I think are cached just by buying the tiles or regions you want. I’m guessing OSM would be better for Europe though.

Google Maps is or was a faff to cache areas for offline use, but is possible. It’s also rubbish for mapping anything off road, but then I guess this is road.

As for no SIM, that’s fine although you’ll not get the ‘Assisted’ part of Assisted-GPS. All that does though is fetch initial satellite positions online to speed up getting a fix. Not to be confused with cell based positioning, which also needs a SIM but that triangulates a very rough position based on cells.

As for a PAYG SIM, Three do ‘Feel at home’ plans including on PAYG I think so costs are same as UK.

CraigW
    Free Member

Maps.me lets you download whole countries at once, then it all works offline, including routing.

Or try OsmAnd, it also lets you download whole countries. Though I think the free version limits the number of maps, it costs a few quid for the full version.

charliew

For data try a Three SIM card… I paid £20 for 12GB of data which I could use abroad for no extra charge. Even when in America… although the Internet was dog slow when in the states.

antennae
    Free Member

As @deadkenny says, 3 PAYG SIM with Feel at Home is the way to go if you do want data. You can use your UK data allowance in these countries:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

P-Jay
    Free Member

So, motorbike ride to the Czech Republic? Sounds cool?

alanl
    Free Member

Yes. The initial plan was just for MTB use, but the motorbike is being used more than ever this year, and although I’d rather use paper maps, I know a Satnav would be far better in Germany and Czech, as I really dont want to stop every 5 miles to check I’m going the right way. Notes saying turn left at the A50/A47 interchange are OK for day trips, or single destinations, but 1000 miles across Countries I’ve never been to before will take a bit more than a post it note on the clocks.
    Thanks all, the £23.99 Copliot offline looks good.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another maps.me fan. Really detailed mapping, free and can be downloaded before you go

woody2000

Here wego (was Nokia maps) is another option, can download maps and use offline. Served me well in France last year.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 Here/Nokia stuff. Has had downloadable maps since Symbian days and can download entire regions or countries (for free). Not sure how it works on Android now it’s split from Windows that it got absorbed into, but I’d assume similar regional downloads. Bit rubbish on the traffic stuff though compared to Google.

rs89
    Free Member

+1 Here/Nokia stuff.

+2 – I have offline Nokia Maps installed on all phones with maps downloaded so that if I’m out and about without signal, I still have a viable sat nav. Works well on both Android and IOS.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above just get Three for use in the UK and you get the European data included with Feel at Home (check countries cannot recall if Czech is included). Note also from June all UK mobile companies have to offer inclusive European data on same basis as local contract.

So, motorbike ride to the Czech Republic? Sounds cool?

You might want to PM @allthegear who did a similar ride last year

onandon
    Free Member

I just moved to Switzerland and kept my uk three package as nothing will touch it for value

sprootlet
    Free Member

Just moved to a three contract, brilliant value. Czech is in their feel at home list. They also do a data only SIM for £30 which is valid for a year. I’ve used that before without any problems.

alpin
    Free Member

Maps.me

Download all the regions between here and Prague. Has offline satnav feature that works pretty well.

deadkenny
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member 
    Note also from June all UK mobile companies have to offer inclusive European data on same basis as local contract.

I suspect they’ll get around it the same way they get around the existing requirements to cap data. They get you to sign up to a roaming bundle that offers more data or a daily allowance, but it also gets you to opt out of the EU regs. Go over the allowance and it’s not capped and charged at massive rates.

alanl
    Free Member

And the winner is : maps.me
    Free, simple to use, no need for online data.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DrJ

jamba> Note also from June all UK mobile companies have to offer inclusive European data on same basis as local contract.

Ironic, or what?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, PAYG phone sim for data in Europe?’ is closed to new replies.