• This topic has 34 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Sorry, but 'what's it worth?' 2009/10 Orange Five content :(
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Well, with a baby on the way and me not working anymore, Mr. MM and I have decided to free up some cash by selling my lovely Orange Five 🙁

I the bike in June from my lbs – a few weeks before finding out I was pregnant! So as a result it's only been ridden about 10 times, but within that time has been pretty pimped up!

Am thinking it's probably best to split it as I'd like to keep a few bits and will hopefully get more money this way…

Here's a pic, though the spec is now a bit different so will do more accurate pics later.

Main question is how much for the frame and King headset and how much for the forks?? Would also like advice on other bits too, if poss please.

Frame is spotless (no chips, marks, etc), fork is in perfect working condition, but annoyling when my lbs were taking the crown race off last week (to install the King) they put four marks into the crown of the fork. Purely cosmetic, but until then it was properly perfect!

Everything else is in pretty perfect condition too, bar the gravity dropper which has a few scuffs from fitting.

2009/2010 14" white frame with 2010 RP23 shock
    Red Chris King headset – 12 months old but only used for about 6 months and only just fitted to the Five
    2009 Fox Float 15QR
    2009 Hope Tech X2 Brakes with braided hoses and upgraded floating rotors (180/160)
    XT Shifters
    XT front mech
    Older (2006?) XTR short cage rear mech (6 months use)
    Gravity Dropper seatpost – 3" drop (no remote)
    Straitline 36 Bashguard
    Raceface Evolve 170mm Chainset (rings never used, chainset only used onroad a few times on another bike so pretty much as new) or 165mm XT Crankset with options on different chainring sizes.

Think I'll probably keep:

Hope Pro 2s on Stans 355s (with Kenda BG and Neve)
    Carbon seatpost
    Ti railed WTB Deva saddle
    Lizard Skin grips
    Richey WCS Carbon Riser Bars
    165mm XT Crankset or 170mm Raceface Evolve Crankset

Thanks in advance! MM

chakaping
    Free Member

People don't care about marks on the fork crown IMO, so don't worry.

Sorry I can't price your bike for you though, maybe £800-£900 for the frame at a guess?

But unless you really need the dough you should try to keep it. I've seen people sell up and not be able to afford to buy again.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Chakaping – it was the frame price I was after really.

Any idea on the forks? (Encouraging about the crown marks!)

Yeah, I realise I probably won't be able to afford one again, but my hubby has the next size up so with shorter stem and inline post I'm hoping I can have almost as much fun on that…

Thanks again mate.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Is this the 14" Diva? My wife is interested in the whole bike; but we could come to agreement on what bits you wanted to keep. What part of the country?
    May be easier to sell as complete bike.

rOcKeTdOg

keep it and when finances allow get a tag-a-long, you'll only regret it in the long run

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hi old_mtber, it's the Five Pro (with upgrades) rather than the Diva I'm afraid. How tall is your wife though? I'm 5'3" and I demoed both the five and Diva and found the Diva too small – mainly less planted on the descents but all around the geometry of the Five seemed better and I was coming from a smaller ti hardtail (I test rode them for 2 whole weekends).

Definitely open to selling as a whole bike if there's a bit of flexibility to keep a few bits and bobs. Mail's in profile if you want to ask anything that way. We're based in Bristol.

Riding a 29er – I know, you're almost certainly right, but I just don't think we can…

rOcKeTdOg

keep the frame and sell the parts then, hang the frame on the wall for 6 months or so, it'll be torture but worth it in the end

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

The frame is the expensive bit though!

You're not making this any easier for me! 🙁

GaryLake
    Free Member

Although it's not a Diva, a gents 14" Five is basically a Diva long but without the Diva graphics.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I wouldn't sell either tbh.

It's not going to date bar minor geo-tweaks and you'll have nothing to look forward to (except perhaps settling for a mediocre bike)

hora
    Free Member

I'd say £700 for the frame. If its a year old- 50% of retail so you wouldnt loose out much by holding onto it for a while longer.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Gary – there is a big difference in TT between the short Diva and the gent's 14" though – it is however identical to the long Diva.

And I know where you're coming from – a few people have just told me what they reckon the frame is worth and I'm not sure I can bring myself to get rid of it for that little I must say…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Hora – it is the 2010 frame though – with the better booster value shock so really only 50%?!

hora
    Free Member

No no- if it was a year old I'd say 50%. Its an indemand frame so should fetch more as more people would want it.

Its not a year old yet. Thing is you would be selling the frame/shock without a warranty so a buyer would have to weigh up a few hundred off is worth the 'risk'.

I'd advertise it at £800 OVNO

Ps. I sold my 3month old Five frame for £700… but even then I had people emailing me saying 'look Ive only got a tight budget but would you take £500' or £600 etc (there was a fair few of them).

takisawa2

Its a tough one this.
    I wouldn't sell. I think you'll regret it.
    £800 doesn't buy a fantastic amount of baby kit, you'll probably just about get a Bugaboo & assorted bits for that. Babies are a money pit, & once the little one arrives you'll need a pretty good income to be sparing £800 in one chunk to replace it like for like.
    (Let alone £1300 for a new one).
    I'd sell the parts, but keep the frame.
    Quick glance through I'd say you've £1k's worth of parts there (inc forks & Pro2's).
    Stick the frame away in the attic till your up for riding again. It's lost a good chunk already, over the next year or two its only going to lose another £150 or so.
    Then build back up month by month with cheaper stuff from the ads as & when bargains pop up. Cheap kit on a 5' is (IMO) better than top drawer stuff on a cheapo frame.

When's the new arrival due then ?
    If you've not one already, get a Bumbo. They're ace.

hora
    Free Member

Said this before- Get a City three wheeler from john Lewis- £199 0-3yrs.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

takisawa2 – interestingly the guys on my other (very similar!) thread are saying pretty much the same as you and I'm beginnig to think you're right.

I think I might actually see how we can cope without selling any of it, but then if it is tight, maybe get rid of the components to replace later. Plan was to share my husband's five, but I'm not sure if that might be too much of a compromise as really the 14" is on the bigger end of what I can comfortably get away with.

Thinking about it I do have a two bass guitars and other bits I could get rid of first and see where we stand then. It's very encouarging to hear that even in a year or two's time I might only loose another £150 off the frame – it seems like the damage has been done there already…

sofatester
    Free Member

Don't do it.

Keep the bike and buy cheap stuff for the baby. It won’t know the different, whereas you will!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

😀 Thanks sofatester!

takisawa2 – forgot to say, I'm due at the beginning of April. And we don't yet have a Bumbo but will definitely be getting one!

grantway
    Free Member

Keep it you will only loose more money than gain.

If your job is safe il get a 12 month intrest free Visa card
    from Tesco or Asda and buy what you really need from that as
    you have a years intrest free to pay up.

stabilizers

Dont sell it…..
    There will be no way back.
    Mrs S still has and rides hers after we had our boy. I would not have dreamed of asking or agreeing with, her to flog it. There is always something else you can do to raise the cash if you need to.
    After aboout 3 months you can get back into biking.

If you have to sell it then Mr MM should demonstrate his solidarity and sell his too.

SBrock
    Free Member

I nearly came to the point where I needed (financially) to sell my beloved Heckler! My partner talked me out of it, that was a year ago and am so grateful i took her advice……

Once you sell it you won't get another especially if you have a little one on the way…. and to be honest you don't need half the stuff they say you do for a baby….. my partner knows hopefully no.4 is on the way!

PS Just got some lovely Hope M4 brakes for my Heckler – something I couldn't of done if I'd sold it!

duckman

The frame is the single biggest outlay, sell that last. Heck, there were a pair of Deore brakes went on here today for £30 an end.Keep the frame and sell other bits as you need. I sold my 5 when my son was born and can't justify/would feel guilty about spending that much money on replacing it when he is about! (up to a hundred quid on pointless bike window dressing? No bother :twisted:)

hora
    Free Member

My Blur4x will be the very last thing to go worsecase. I can always biuld it up with muppet-silly cheap bits afterwards but its the heart of the build and IMO- hard to justify spending soo much again when you have a baby in the house.

After all- frames in the future may cost MORE to buy- who knows?

oxnop
    Free Member

I've just sold my 2009 orange 5AM frame with maxle/hope headset/thomson post/racefce BB and hope QR for £800 cash- which i thought was fair. The frame was in 9.5/10 condition BTW

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, on the basis of all the advice from everyone on this and the other thread, I think I'm going to keep it – for now at least.

It seems like a lot of people have gone through this, but have not regreted keeping their beloved bike and my Five is very much beloved!

I've gone through everything else I could sell and there is quite a bit so I'm getting stuck into ebay sales now! (If anyone wants a high end top spec spector Reboy bass guitar then let me know!)

Thanks for all the advice, it almost feels like having a new bike again 😀 …even though I can't ride it! 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

As others have said, having a baby doesn't cost that much really.

£200 will get a decent pram (Silver Cross are good VFM) and people will give you loads of things.

You'll easily afford it from the money you'll save by not going out anymore.

hora
    Free Member

MountainMonkey, why dont you take your inspiration from the likes of Man Utd? Sell it to a business for leaseback/an upfront loan and then repay in installments at 20% with a balloon payment at the end?

Man Utd knows best :laugh:

RichPenny
    Free Member

There's always loads of baby stuff on freecycle, use that and keep the bike 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Weyhey, peer pressure wins again! Nice to hear you're keeping it.

igm

MM – try it the other way round. Ask folks on here what baby kit they've got cluttering the place up and offer to take it off their hands. Many people will just want to get rid – some will want cash of course, but if you don't ask…

Oh and by the way, my wife was back on her Diva not too long after our little boy came along.

Rex
    Free Member

I agree, keep it – that's a great looking bike. Would look even better with some hope pro brakes though 😆

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ha, thanks guys! Yep Gary – it does indeed! (For now at least)

Yep, will definitely give asking on here for various baby stuff a go – just need to work out what we actually need… Can't believe how much stuff something so small seems to need! 😯

hora
    Free Member

There's always loads of baby stuff on freecycle

Sorry. **** that. I'll give and receive baby kit from friends and family but not from strangers. Something abit icky/dark in my mind about that.

igm

Need – baby seat for the bike, decent helmet, warm clothes for baby when on bike, LOCT & Rothan for when the baby becomes a toddler.

If you are ruthless you'll find you don't actually need that much – a liquidiser helps though.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, but 'what's it worth?' 2009/10 Orange Five content :(’ is closed to new replies.