Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sooo…. Mr McIlroy wears a Power Balance band eh?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Noticed it on his wrist on BBC this morning, a swift google shows he does indeed wear one whilst playing (and is in fact sponsored by Trionz)… Does STW despise him now?

FuzzyWuzzy

He plays golf so yes…

wwaswas

that’s no way to treat a snooker cue.

druidh
    Free Member

Who?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nope. I don’t despise him. I don’t despise people who believe in homeopathy either.

I just think they’re stupid.

iDave
    Free Member

‘Here Rory, wear this and we’ll give you a shed load of cash…..’

🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps it helps fix the imbalance caused by wearing only one glove?

Jamie
    Free Member

Why despise him? If someone offered me a shed load of cash to wear a fancy bracelet, I would.

Yup. I’m a sell out.

Flaperon

That’s a huge golf bat.

oddjob
    Free Member

that’s a trionz bracelet

Don’t ask how I know

Jamie
    Free Member

Perhaps it helps fix the imbalance caused by wearing only one glove?

I think Michael Jackson wore one for that very reason.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought homeopathy was originally about tissue salts, but it seems to be more mystical nowadays.

However if I have some of the New Era salts that are for sinus issues I definitely get an effect, albeit small.

DezB
    Free Member

I despise his chav headwear

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There is a guy at work who has been “brainwashing” everyone with them! I don’t mind people wearing them because they think the positive thinking helps them, but people who are brainwashed that the science behind it actually works! Guy at work reckons they are banned in the Olympics but I couldnt’ find anything about it.

It’s liek those silly nose strips …. I see seom of the TdF riders still use them.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I thought homeopathy was originally about tissue salts, but it seems to be more mystical nowadays.

The basis for homeopathy the assumption “like cures like” for which there is not one shred of proof or evidence. It’s just something that some german Doctor made up. Whether he really beleived it or was just a charlatan I don’t know but either way it’s nonsense. Then you get the to whole dilution thing which to paraphrase Pauli is not even wrong.

As for mr McIllroy, if he honestly thinks it’s helping him then I’ve not got an issue with that I just think he is being a bit silly (then again he plays golf!) If on the other hand he actually takes money and promotes this stuff, then that is a different matter.

It’s liek those silly nose strips …. I see seom of the TdF riders still use them.

They may not work, but at least there is a (semi) plausible mechanism.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think Michael Jackson wore one for that very reason.

And if he hadn’t, he might still be alive and interfering with chimpanzees right now.

vinnyeh

Walked into a Cycle Surgery branch a few days back- they had a display stand of them on the counter by the till, rather disappointing.
    Asked the guy whether people still bought them- he looked a bit embarrassed while telling me they ‘didn’t really push them these days’. 🙁

Cougar

Found a Homeopathy survey earlier today.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KJL3D2N

Worth filling in just to tell them what a bunch of con artists they are.

maycontainnuts

Flaperon – Member
    That’s a huge golf bat.

I believe the technical term is “racket” . I didn’t get where I am today without knowing these things.

Perhaps Rory just thinks the bracelets look nice?

TiRed

Clinical trials show that nasal strips increase PNIF#, but who breathes solely through their nose going up a hill? More recent evidence shows benefit for night breathing in people with allergy, but no effect on elite cyclists.

Mind you EPO is worth about 7% benefit, so if placebo gives you only 2% it’s worth it! Millar has an impressive nasal tan line though

#Peak nasal inspiratory flow – what a lovely endpoint!

titusrider
    Free Member

thanks cougar, v entertaining

IanMunro
    Free Member

Done 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Ohh filling out that homeopathy survey was cathartic. It was not very well designed, somewhat biased.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well I answered Yes to a lot of the questions… but I still don’t see how it helps them.

It treats nothing.

maycontainnuts

Also Done.

niloC
    Free Member

Having read the link to Trion z, it’s not a Power Balance band, it’s magnets not holograms.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well that might work then. Assuming the wearer is standing next to something magnetic in order for it to pull them towards the source and help counter-balance…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also done 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If he won his last major wearing one he will probably not risk taking it off, unless he hits a slump with it on. Very superstitious, these sportsmen.

D0NK

If on the other hand he actually takes money and promotes this stuff, then that is a different matter.

I’m assuming he is being economically incentivised 😉 to wear one. Now the question is if you ask him why he wears one and he says “because I’m paid to” is he still promoting them and scorn worthy or is he just earning a living? After all I’m sure a lot of sports/famous people have appeared to be using products they would probably in real life never touch.

EDIT survey also done, thats cheered me up no end 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gillette razors comes to mind.

As does Robinson’s barley water during tennis. 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

Now the question is if you ask him why he wears one and he says “because I’m paid to” is he still promoting them and scorn worthy

Yes.

After all I’m sure a lot of sports/famous people have appeared to be using products they would probably in real life never touch

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh and look people buying XTR over Deore cos they think it makes them a better cyclist….

S’all a con, in’t it?

greyman
    Free Member

Indeed – and re golfers, if you think they might be concerned about whether wristbands help, don’t even begin to concern your non golfing selves with considering choice of bats/rackets ….

😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

After all I’m sure a lot of sports/famous people have appeared to be using products they would probably in real life never touch.

I’m sure Christiano Ronaldo drives a Suzuki Swift. FACT.

D0NK

And alonso* drives a fiat 500.
    Do all these adertisement “stars” deserve a good kicking for what they done?
    Where do you stop? That dozy guy flogging persil? Those babies advertising evian – bet they don’t even drink water never mind posh mineral stuff those sneaky buggers!

*not up on my F1 so don’t flame me if it’s the wrong driver.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Wiggins wears one as well.

I think his is a Powerbalance one

angryratio
    Free Member

If they help you pull i’ll take two.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Look at the golfballers cue. Is that some sort of optical illusion going on there? It looks like the head of cue is nearer the camera than his head and hands. Wierd

oddjob
    Free Member

Brad Wiggins’ didn’t help much did it?

He should have tried the magnets instead 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sooo…. Mr McIlroy wears a Power Balance band eh?’ is closed to new replies.