Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 588 total)
  • SOME dog owners make me very angry…..
  • prezet
    Free Member

Why do the dog owners find this concept so difficult? and as for personalising it just read your own answers.

Probably because of your (and other posters) blanket attitudes, assuming all dogs are the same, and have this distorted perception of ‘under control’.

If a dog if walking with it’s owner (off the lead) and gently walks up to a passer by and has a ‘sniff’ you assume it’s not under control.

There are plenty of well behaved, well natured dogs out there, big and small, who you seem to think should be constantly on a lead and muzzled. Sure, there are some aggressive breads out there, and I completely agree that if a dog is known to be ‘mardy’ in public by growling at other dogs/people then it should be on a lead and potentially muzzled.

But these blanket arguments of saying all dogs should be treated the same is just ridiculous.

Going back to the OP – the dog in question had a ‘sniff’, it wasn’t out of control, it didn’t behave aggressive. The OP was a bit aggressive in his initial response, IMO, he could have reassured the child by saying “look, it’s only a doggy, he won’t hurt you”, then ask the owners if it’s ok to touch the dog – so as to show the girl there’s nothing to be scared of.

He’d also be teaching his daughter to ask the owners if it’s OK to touch their dog. Plenty of times I’ve seen children not ‘under control’ go walking across to someone’s dog and start pulling on it’s fur and ears – only to be shocked when it turns around and barks at them. Then somehow it’s perceived that the owners are at fault.

In this world we need a little give and take (and understanding) on both sides. Dog owners love their dogs, they like being able to have them run off the lead when it’s safe for all concerned. Just as parents love to know their kids can play in a safe area (ie. a park).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Theres a very nasty Border Terrier that lives near me. He’s gonna get it.

😆

surfer
    Free Member

My dog is under control and doesn’t annoy others

Paramount in dog owner threads 😉

cookeaa

Perhaps it’s a little unfair to group all dog owners together perhaps I should redefine it:

Group ‘A’ – Mostly arseholes, who fail to control their stupid Mutt, let it shit everywhere, chase and scare kids and abuse anyone who dares to question to their control over, or suitability to own the Witless, Bastardised, Descendant of a Pack Hunter…

Group ‘B’ – Responsible owners, cognisant of the fact that their animal poses a Potential threat due to its inherited biological imperatives and instincts, and hence actually control the animal. This group also always pick up and dispose of their Dogs faeces properly (not just the ones other people happen to notice)…

Group ‘B’ are largely the exception rather than the rule IME…

For what it’s worth my daughter is not scared of Dogs (nor do I want her to be), She will merrily say “Hello Doggy” to every canine she encounters in the park, regardless of how bloody dangerous they look.
    Both her Mother and Farther have been attacked by strangers dogs while growing up and hence take the “He won’t bite”, “He’s just being Friendly” type assurances given by Dog owners with a large pinch of salt…

I’ll accept that not all dogs are dangerous all the time, if dog lovers will accept that not all dogs are lovable bundles of furry fun that would never harm a fly, and a fair bit more responsibility comes with owning a Dog than many seem to realise or care about…

Labelling people who are worried about their kids being attacked by poorly controlled Dogs in a park as “Ignorant” speaks volumes IMO…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Paramount in dog owner threads

Nope, you’re wrong there. Mine is. So having TeeJ and Keyboard warrior parents, tarring me with the same brush as bad owners is what I find annoying. All I’ve ever asked for in this thread is that we all try and share the same space with tolerance and generally be nice to one another.

I’m going to let Molly crap in the sand pit in the fenced off kids’ playing area this morning.

donsimon
    Free Member

My dog is under control and doesn’t annoy others

This is the crux, isn’t it. I don’t know where your dog is but the fact it exists annoys me. What ya goin’ to do now??? Eh!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d also add that when I have spare bags, I pick up other dogs’ shit as well in our local park. As well as the considerable amount of litter left behind by humans.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Prezet – completely wrong – the dog was not under control – whether because the owner failed to control it or because the couldn’t control it.

DD – “you” plural not you in particular. Not aimed at you personally but at the dog owners like prezet who not only fail to control their dogs but fail to understand the need to do so.

However the is a recurrent theme all thru these threads from dog owners saying we need to put up with this/ learn how to cope with it.

Wrong. its the dog owners responsibility to keep the dogs away from others. End.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wrong. its the dog owners responsibility to keep the dogs away from others. End.

TeeJ’s Black and White New World Order.

If you could, in future, put “singular” or “plural” in brackets after “you” I might be able to understand your bleatings.

prezet
    Free Member

cookeaa – I can definitely say I fall into Group B

And so do most other dog owners I come across (but I do walk Molly in popular dog walking areas) – I occasionally meet an aggressive dog/owner. When I do I lead Molly immediately. Mainly for her own safety – as he likes to go say ‘hello’ to other dogs and not all of them respond nicely.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you could, in future, put “singular” or “plural” in brackets after “you” I might be able to understand your bleatings.

Learn the language, it’s the law apparently.

prezet
    Free Member

Prezet – completely wrong – the dog was not under control

In YOUR opinion – in most other peoples who live in the real world where they’re accepting of other people/things, it was perfectly fine.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

as he likes to go say ‘hello’ to other dogs and not all of them respond nicely.

Well there you go prezet, you clearly have an uncontrollable vicious dog that is there to wreck TeeJ’s New World Order. 😆

binners

Oh! Dear God DD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

But there is! Its Bravisimo. I’m so disappointed. I thought your life was all red carpets, film premiers, yachts in Cannes, and having Carly Simon write songs about you 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

prezet – Member

cookeaa – I can definitely say I fall into Group B

wrong – yo think its acceptable for adog to annoy others and you think its the non dog owners responsibility to cope with this.

If a dog if walking with it’s owner (off the lead) and gently walks up to a passer by and has a ‘sniff’ you assume it’s not under control.

correct it is not under control wether ‘cos the owner has failed to keep it under control or is unable to. the dog should be called to heel and should go to heel immediatly.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

having Carly Simon write songs about you

😕

Thought that was Warren Beatty or James Taylor, no?

Have to give something back every so often you know binbins. 😛

surfer
    Free Member

DD It wouldnt occur to me that you are anything other than a responsible dog owner and none of my comments are aimed at you in my first post.
    You cant deny however that there are a number of irresponsible dog owners whose dogs are actually a threat to other peoples safety, as well as a threat to health.
    People have a right not to be harrassed by other peoples dogs and this is the crux of it. Dog owners assume strangers should love their dogs as well.
    AA hit the nail on the head with the mud comment. This is often the mentality of some owners.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Prezet – why should I have to accept your dog coming up to me and sniffing me? I don’t like it, I don’t want your dog to do this. Please acccept your legal responsibilities and control it.

surfer
    Free Member

as he likes to go say ‘hello’ to other dogs and not all of them respond nicely.

Theres a rather large dog that takes exception to me running every time he see’s me. He seems to want to say “hello” as well 🙄 Get over yourself!

prezet
    Free Member

Sadly TJ, we don’t all live in your utopian world… I for one am glad, that there are people who can actually learn to live with others in a tolerant society.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dog owners assume strangers should love their dogs as well.

Some dog owners. The minority IME.

EDIT: It’s too easy. Now I’m just being silly.

surfer
    Free Member

why should I have to accept your dog coming up to me and sniffing me?

Enough TJ. Even I dont get my knickers in a bunch just being in the proximity of dogs. I just dont like the ones that want to bite me usually.

gingerss
    Free Member

Group ‘A’ – Mostly arseholes, who fail to control their stupid Mutt, let it shit everywhere, chase and scare kids and abuse anyone who dares to question to their control over, or suitability to own the Witless, Bastardised, Descendant of a Pack Hunter…

Group ‘B’ – Responsible owners, cognisant of the fact that their animal poses a Potential threat due to its inherited biological imperatives and instincts, and hence actually control the animal. This group also always pick up and dispose of their Dogs faeces properly (not just the ones other people happen to notice)…

Dog owners: Put yourself in a group, A or B, then decide who’s corner you are fighting. I’ve not seen very much criticism on this thread aimed toward groub B.

prezet
    Free Member

Prezet – why should I have to accept your dog coming up to me and sniffing me? I don’t like it, I don’t want your dog to do this. Please acccept your legal responsibilities and control it.

She probably wouldn’t want to sniff you anyway – she’s smelt enough sh*t to last a lifetime… so you’re perfectly safe.

binners

Did we ever resolve the issue about cats in bins?

surfer
    Free Member

All parents assume everybody wants to hear and see their kids, let them interrupt adult conversations with their nonsensical, annoying and incomprehensible witterings.

You are incorrect DD. I do not just disuade my own children from doing this I also scour the country acting as a buffer between other peoples children to ensure other unsuspecting adults do not have their conversations interrupted.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

See my EDIT surfer. It’s plain silly to make sweeping generalisations though isn’t it? Wouldn’t you agree?

binners

It’s plain silly to make sweeping generalisations though isn’t it?

Are you familiar with the concept of Internet Forums DD? 😀

surfer
    Free Member

It was subtle enough even for me DD.

You would not recognise yourself in my first point and I aimed my remarks at inconsiderate dog owners. Of which in my experience there are many.
    Responsible ones are always welcome.

gingerss
    Free Member

Did we ever resolve the issue about cats in bins?

I think cats can go in bins as long as they’re dead first. How they become dead is a matter for further discussion.

user-removed
    Free Member

ditch_jockey

Great minds think alike!

This is my two practising hiding behind a wall so they can jump out and harass TJ if he ever comes to the west of Scotland!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

prezet – Member

Sadly TJ, we don’t all live in your utopian world… I for one am glad, that there are people who can actually learn to live with others in a tolerant society.

Its you that refuses to learn to live with others. according to you I have to accept and tolerate your dog not being controlled.

You are imposing upon me.

This is the bit many dog owner simply won’t accept – they think their behaviour is acceptable when it is not.

I do not want your dog to come up to me at all. that is my right. Your duty is to control your dog so it does not annoy, harrass or distress me or anyone else in any way. Yu love your dog. I do not. Why do you think it is acceptable for the foul smelling, disease spreading animal to come up to me at all?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Its you that refuses to learn to live with others.

😆

Nobby

My pooch is very timid/nervous of strangers so I’d be very grateful if all you self-righteous, sanctimonious humans can keep yourselves and your offspring under control & away from her when we’re out walking.

Ta very much.

user-removed
    Free Member

[/quote]ditch_jockey – Member
    Great minds think alike!

Indeed they do!

nealglover
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

TJ – I thought (for a while) that we had the same opinion on this.

But it appears we don’t.

You sound totally whiny and pathetic here to be perfectly honest.

My only issue is with bounding/running dogs, that are not returning despite their owners commands. Because that makes me assume that the owners hasn’t trained the dog well enough, and doesn’t know the dog well enough to know what it might do. So I can’t predict what it might do either.

I have no issue whatsoever with a dog calmly walking around, exploring the area and the people in it.

And to be honest if you do have an issue with that, then it’s your problem, not everyone elses.

cookeaa

TJ, You are perhaps being a bit harsh here, I’m happy to accept “Prezet” and some others do fall into “Group B” rond my way the “Group A’s” are the majority, that might well be due to the location. From what he’s said it seems he has a Responsible attitude to Dog ownership and understanding of what it means to Control an animal.

My Daughter loves the odd friendly (and under owner control) Dog that she gets to stroke in the park, My Missus is far more nrvous than me about Dogs and I can always hear a tense murmur from her when any Dog comes within about 20 foot, but she controls the nerves, it does help if the owner is with the dog, and the dog is responding to commands/looking to the owner for approval (not half way across the park shouting at and being ignored by the dog) this generally suggests control and a good level of training are in place and working…

The trouble is that most of the Dogs we seem to encounter are not what I would consider to be under control, I’m sure it’s down to where we live (a large Town, and We’re local to a large public park popular with alot of people/Dog walkists of all ilks), this along with having kids, probably does colour my view of the issue.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ, You are perhaps being a bit harsh here, I’m happy to accept “Prezet” and some others do fall into “Group B” rond my way the “Group A’s” are the majority, that might well be due to the location. From what he’s said it seems he has a Responsible attitude to Dog ownership and understanding of what it means to Control an animal.

he clearly does not as he thinks it acceptable for the dog to go up to people that do not know it and he will not control the dog.

he also thinks to go back to the OP that in that case the father was wrong and should have accepted the dog scaring his child. rather than dealing with this issue he then mocks and denigrates people who don’t want the dog to come up to them.

I do not want your dog to come up to me and that is my right. if you fail to stop the dog doing so then the dog is not under control. No if but of ands.

If you do not appreciate this then you are simply another selfish dog owner that thinks your dog has rights greater than mine.

prezet
    Free Member

TJ – You sound totally whiny and pathetic here to be perfectly honest.

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 588 total)

The topic ‘SOME dog owners make me very angry…..’ is closed to new replies.