Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Solo Dartmoor Adventure
  • stumpytrek
    Free Member

Been meaning to do an overnight ride on the moor for ages so when the opportunity arose off I went!

Thought I would share a few pictures. Route had everything from tarmac to singletrack. Weather had everything from sun to hail!

scraprider
    Free Member

Nice mate not jeleous at all:)

Lactic
    Free Member

A Tent! My god man, bloomin’ luxury
    Have to come with next time, looks like fun

slugwash
    Free Member

Nice one Stumpy. We were up there sleeping out under the stars last weekend, but the heavens held out luckily and we had clear skies all night. Are you local? We’re talking of doing another bivvy over one of the May bank hols if you’re interested.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Great place to be at night isn’t it?!
    As Slugwash said, you’ll have to join us, we need a few more mugs to join in 🙂

Which trail is that in the last pic? is it Easdon?

stumpytrek
    Free Member

It’s a magic place to be at night. The weather got pretty bad in the early hours so I was glad of my solid little tent! Thanks for the invite – if I’m free I’d be up for it! (stumpytrek@me.com). If you guys ride round Haldon I’m pretty local to there too.

The trail in the last pic is up on Easdon not far before the bridleway drops into the woods above North Bovey. I caught a bit of ‘path’ that made for fantastic singletrack near the bottom of the bridleway as it is about to leave the woods. I thought I passed some interesting stuff higher up too. Do you know those woods? Are they worth an explore?

simonralli2
    Free Member

As Slugwash said, you’ll have to join us, we need a few more mugs to join in

Give me a few months and I’ll be there, but not too sure about bivvying in the winter months!

trailmonkey

Would be interested to hear of any singletrack at the bottom of Easdon that avoided the wet bits.

Where are the top 2 pics ? Looks like Indian country over the west somewhere.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

1st photo is taken from Fernworthy Forest looking due west towards Teignhead Farm and Manga Brook. Had thought about stopping by the brook somewhere but got there quicker than I thought I would so pushed on.

2nd photo is the same spot as photo 3 but looking the other way (you can just see the tent). It is between Sittaford and Stannon Tors. Beautiful spot, especially at sunrise (photo3).

I may have to explore those woods at North Bovey because there were at least two sections marked ‘path’ (not ‘footpath’ so fair game!!) which looked good. I missed to first one but the second was sweet if very short.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Give me a few months and I’ll be there, but not too sure about bivvying in the winter months!

Pussy! 😉 the D-mo crew know no bounds…..Well, I say that, but……

Stumpeytrek,
    Easdon is a cracker if you can remember to pick the right line all the way down to the mesh gate.

Slugwash,
    You out tomorrow?

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Shinythings – Give me a clue! What’s the right line???

I went right initially at the top gate should I have gone straight on down the hill?

slugwash
    Free Member

Slugwash,
    You out tomorrow?

Not cycling unfortunately. I’ve got a school fundraising Big Marathon Breakfast in the morning 🙂 and civil engineering duty in the garden in the afternoon 🙁

Hey, supposing instead of terracing the garden and doing raised beds I use the wood to knock up a bit of domestic North Shore. That’ll impress the missus!

How about an evening ride sometime in the coming week and a D-Mo full mooner on Friday 8th?

dartmoorbeast
    Free Member

Hi Stumpytrek
    Nice photos, I ride on the moor every thursday morning, and recognise some of the tracks. I would be interested in going out on the moor, if you like company, or you’re welcome to join us on thurs. am any week. i live local stefan@unlimitedliving.co.uk

Taff
    Free Member

The one thing i regret about moving from Plymouth was Dartmoor. A mate did a solo tour a few months ago and broke his wrist in the middle of nowhere

bassspine
    Free Member

I’m pleased to see the giant chair is still there – I’d heard a rumour that there was a planning decision against it and it was going to be demolished. ( Batsard nimbys)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

nice

Expensivescare
    Free Member

Looked like fun, sorry I missed it, Wasn’t much fun “on the farm” this weekend!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Solo Dartmoor Adventure’ is closed to new replies.