Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Solarismax the best one?
  • mwleeds

My first build of my solaris MK2 had some flexy X fusion splice 32mm forks and Stan’s Arch/hope wheels. It was ok on easier trails and could cope with the moderate peak District descents (not where I live just the rockiest/roughest place I rode it) but it was much less capable than my MK1 slackline or my dialled PA. Recently I’ve built the same frame up with new SID 35mm forks and some nice JRA monitor wheels and it absolutely flies! I wouldn’t choose to ride it (quickly) down proper DH tracks but for normal ‘mountain biking’ with lots of everything apart from very rough very steep stuff it’s ace!

It has certainly been worth trying different builds which isn’t something I’ve done very much for other frames.

FOG

8 months after my last post I have warmed to the SolarisMax a little but I still find myself looking at carbon XC bikes and short travel FS. Basically I think I bought the wrong bike. It does what it does very well but it does the wrong thing for me.
    Hopefully when more new stock appears I will be able to buy something that I actually need rather than something I thought I wanted

swanny853

benp, I was down your way-ish (I think) at friston at the weekend and the Max is a cracker on that singletracky, bit of steeper stuff here and there, tuck round some trees and off an edge riding that friston does so well. And was then nice and comfy to ride back to Lewes over the downs.

hazmo

Appreciate all the recent comments on this. Frame ordered, so looking forward to getting that at some point later in the year.

Foe anyone who has gone with the frame only option, does it come with downtube bolts/cable clips, or do I need to be sourcing them myself. Never done a frame build before, so really quite excited!

swanny853

Mine did.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Yep.

peteimpreza

“ Solarismax the best one?”

The SodaMax of course!!

😎

kelvin

Hazmo, I’d recommend getting Cotic to fit a headset if you’re building your first bike. Get a Hope one. There are delays on Hope stuff at the moment (shorter lead times than most though), so get Cotic to order you a headset now, don’t wait ‘till the frame arrives to start thinking about it. All the clips and bolts come in a little bag with the frame.

hazmo

@kelvin….thanks for the heads-up….should be coming with the headset. Looking forward to the process but no doubt I will be back on here with daft questions in due course.

metalheart
    Free Member

peteimpreza

Solarismax the best one?”

The SodaMax of course!!

absolutely. Liked the steel version so much ponied up for the ti one. Still don’t regret it… 😜

Hazmo, I’d recommend getting Cotic to fit a headset if you’re building your first bike. Get a Hope one.

I’d also recommend getting the bottom bracket fitted if it’s your first build. Saves having to get the tools as well. Sometimes the threads are a bit stiff and if you’re not familiar you could cross thread it…

I’ve had pretty much every permutation from Cotic, from virtually a full build to just frame and headset. And rolling chassis. This last time had to be a split order as forks still aren’t available.

I’ve yet to receive an order that was exactly as it should (I’ve, for instance had two sets of cable clips but none of the triple clips, another two sets of clips/chainstay protectors, last order was missing the pívot cable guide and chain keeper on thing bolts. However a quick call to Paul and they are sent out same day.).

whatever you decide I’d follow up with a call to ensure you relay that and you get confirmation. I added a couple things to my forks order the other day…

Canecreek, however, not my most favourite of people at the moment…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

“ Solarismax the best one?”

The SodaMax of course!!

I’m still gutted I didn’t go for one of those when they sold them. My steel SolarisMax is fantastic but a ti one would be awesome!

It would be nice to see Cotic do another run of them…

peteimpreza

“ but a ti one would be awesome!”

There is no would be only is..

soulwood
    Free Member

null

null

null

soulwood
    Free Member

Didn’t know if that would work! Posting pics has always been tricky on here!
    This in response to the last post for a Solaris Max in Ti. This is my first non Cotic (mtb) purchase in about 16 years!

Nordest Britango. Took the longer front end of the Solmax with the nimble back end of the q/r version. Allows for longer forks and bigger brakes round these parts (Wellington NZ) I’m keeping my Solmax frame in case the Flaremax dies horrifically and needs a replacement…

iainc

Just came across this thread after starting a new one..

I am hovering over the basket for one of these in full build gold package. Always liked Cotic and used to have a 2nd gen Soul 26.

Being a shade under 5ft10 the medium looks bang on and geo very close to my Large Levo SL.

Bike will be used for winter trail riding, bikepacking and coaching. I use the ebike for everything else off road.

I currently have a Merlin Sensa Merano Evo Race HT, which is ok for all the stuff I’d use the Solaris for but it doesn’t really excite and will be easy to sell come Autumn when the Cotic would arrive.

davespike1981

Very interesting discussion thus far, thanks

6ft 1 currently riding a large solaris max on the last gen back from the current.

I’ve come to mine from a large last generation 26″ soul, before that couple of merlin malts of different frame types. Brakes and gearing have remained largely the same through all with the head angle slackening off through to the soul in combination with 120mm forks.

I’m mid wales based and always felt a bit cramped up in the dyfi forest or anything particularly steep. So the Solaris fills all duties from child towing on the flat through to Cadiar Idris, trails centres and the local hills.

I’m enjoying a smoother less chattery ride with increased overall back comfort, whether this is 29s and 2.6 tyres or in combination of the reach and it fitting me better i couldn’t say.

I could see a case for having a flaremax to cover my MTB and rebuilding the soul as the everything else bike but i don’t have the partner credits in place currently. And the cotic escapade on the wall sort of covers the everything else requirement quite well.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’m thinking of selling my Solaris Max (pre longshot)

soulwood
    Free Member

It’s been an interesting experience for me regarding geometry and use. I have a gen2 Flaremax in XL and it feels great. The Solarismax in XL however not so great. Looking back I should have gone for a large Solmax and used a 50mm stem which is what I use on the Britango.

Northwind

Since I last posted, I’ve gone back to 29er wheels on mine- the Solaris is just too low on b+ 2.8s imo. Did a few runs at fort william on it, another trip to the golfy, a bunch of local rides, and the glentress 7.

Admire it even more than I did, still don’t love it, don’t know why. I loved my Soul and my Hemlock and they were way less good.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Solarismax the best one?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM