Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Solarismax the best one?
  • soulwood
    Free Member

I have one, and I have owned a Solaris in various colors since 2012. I was curious about Long, Low and Slack geo so tried the latest one. 140 forks to get the front end high enough. It looks amazing and descends like a beast. Took my wives Solaris for a spin, the last q/r version. Felt amazing. Fast acceleration, nimble. Has me considering about building my old orange version up again. Anyone else scratched the LLS hardtail itch and thought, meh. Just to note I have a 2nd gen Flaremax as well, the LLS geo on that is amazing. Maybe it’s better suited to FS?

matt_outandabout

Extreme or middle ground of geometry.
    Suits extreme or middle ground of riding.
    And I don’t ride full fat gnar every time.

james-rennie

watching this thread with interest.
    I’ve been considering the new solarisMax, using as much from my old solaris as possible to build it up, but not sure yet.

mccraque

I went from the Mk2 Solaris with a QR rear, 120mm fork and plus wheels to the Longshot (black one…last years model). 140mm and flick between plus and 29

There was a lot of stuff I would do on the old one that I just wouldn’t on the new one. Weight is almost the same (well…most of the components swapped across!) but it is just slower in a number of situations.

I used to race the odd XC Race and Offroad Duathlon on the old one…and take it to Welsh Marathon series rides – where I thought it would cope better with the rufty tufty than the twitchy carbon race bike.

The new one descends like a beast and with the long chainstays, seems to climb anytihng. But it just feels more pedestrian than the old one (which strava backs up)

I do like it. I just expected it to be a better version of the old one rather than a totally different feeling bike.

mccraque

140 forks to get the front end high enough

as @soulwood says… I did exactly the same. 120mm pulled across from the old bike just gave me neck ache on the longshot. I have a 25mm rise bar and a lot of steerer tube to add spacers….even still I just couldn’t get it high enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had the same model as your wife, then the long shot version.

The latter was way more capable and versatile but I liked the old one more, even if I rode it less.

Not sure that makes sense, but the old one connected to the old steel bikes of the 90s in a way that the newer versions have lost IMO.

Or more simply, it’s less XC now.

hatter

Just went from a pretty ‘trad’ hardtail (Genesis High Latitude) with a 100 mm travel fork to a frightfully modern millie.

An 18 bikes No.9, 500 mm reach with a 130 mm fork, big old tyres, long dropper, 800mm bars etc.

Is it as fast as my old bike on flat bridleways? No, but I have my gravel bike for that.

Everywhere else it’s blimmin ‘ace, although it certainly comes into its’ own at higher speeds and needs to be ridden like you mean it to keep enough weight on the front wheel.

Set a few descent PB’s at Swinley at the weekend so it must be doing somethg right.

NormalMan

Interesting thread. I had a a mk1 Solaris that I ran with 100mm at first, but later at 120mm. I preferred the latter.

It was stolen and I recently purchased a last of the cosmic black LS geometry models. It isn’t as bling spec as my first. Unfortunately I have a hub issue which Cotic are sorting so only limited ride time.

The new one is certainly very different in terms of lacking the sprightly feel of my old one but some of that is down to wheels and tyres I’d imagine.

I’m running 120mm forks and find the front end more than high enough for me but I’m used to road bikes and prefer that feel.

On the brief rides I’ve had the thing that hit me the most was how capable the bike is. I said to Cy that I find capable the expression often used in bike reviews but that can mean so many things. A capable bike might be ‘good enough’ or it can be ‘excellent’ but this LE version gave me a confidence to try stuff if often shy away from.

I was also wondering how I’d get in with modern geometry after my mk1 being the slackest 29er I’d had. Although I did have a 26er HT back in 2010 with a 67 HTS which I guess was slack for the time.

Anyway, I found it very natural and intuitive from ride one.

The downsides? It does, as alluded too already, feel sluggish in comparison to my old one and any road sections are a real bore.

I look forward to my hub fix now so I can continue drawing conclusions.

FOG

I bought one of the last old badge Solaris Max as a replacement for my ancient 26″ Soul. It just doesn’t fill the bill though. I quite enjoy riding it but it is a bit too monster truck compared to the soul. Much better for down hill but not so much for the ‘just riding along’ sort of day. It’s not the wheel size, I have a 29er FS, but more the general lethargy. I realise a few people have said it is the fastest HT they have ridden but that must be downhill.

mccraque

It is indeed capable. Ridiculously so.

I would do anything that I would do on the full suss on it… and it makes total sense for winter riding too. It’s a burly bruiser.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As we all know mtbing is a broad church.

LLS hardtails only really show their competencies when pushed into the more lairy end of things. Its not surprising that they’re fairly plain if you just ride about a bit on them.

Conversely, a trad hardtail will get over-faced quicker in lairy train but make the most of gentler ground conditions.

kelvin

Every time a new iteration of the Solaris came out, I’d give it a good few rides before deciding… not for me. The first longshot version was a keeper from ride one for me… so much faster, more confidence inspiring ride than the old ones… definitely very different. Best hardtail I’ve ever had, by a country mile… of course it might be just that the fit works better for me than the non-longshot versions did… but I think it’s more likely that bike geometry has moved on in leaps in recent years… and I can see why that might leave some people wishing for the old ways… they second hand market is there for them.

jeffl

What about a Stanton Sherpa, geometry isn’t as aggressive as the new Solaris?

swanny853

I’ve mentioned it on the other thread but I’m not falling in love with the new Solaris so far, pretty much for the reasons above. Competent downhill but lost the perkiness of the old one. I haven’t had the chance to really push it yet so I’m waiting to see what the upsides are- sure I enjoyed it when I demoed it, so hoping to pull that out! It might just be a case of getting used to it.

Still seriously unimpressed with the 300g over specced weight though.

andykirk
    Free Member

I think Swanny hits it on the head with the word ‘perkiness’. To me the Max is a downhill beast, and boy does it shift in that situation. It was just very cumbersome and really quite boring everywhere else. That’s not a dig at Cotic, I think that’s just long bikes in general. I’d rather have a frame with slightly shorter chainstays and slightly less reach that is more fun in more situations than just the going down ones.

joepud
    Free Member

My hardtail experience is limited to 4x bikes (krisis sl and charge blender) but I have a red LS Solaris and by far the most capable / versatile bike I own even with the 140 upfront I have done everything from southern enduros to 70 odd mile bridal way xc rides. I got mine after buying a LS Rocket being so sold on the LS geo as a taller guy (6ft+) the XL is spot on. Just wondering for those not loving the Solairs what sizes you are and what you’re on? Long bikes are totally not for everyone. If I was 6 or 7″ shorter I think I would struggle even on smaller size the reach is just absolutely huge on them.

andykirk
    Free Member

I am 6ft 3, I had an XL Max.

soulwood
    Free Member

Looks like I’m not alone in my thoughts! I guess the geo on the Flaremax is acceptable to me as I often drive it to a bike park and I know I’m there for gnar. Whereas the Solmax I use for commutes, long way home rides checking into some local off road. That involves what Cy recently called “dull riding”. An old friend of mine that used to mtb but crossed over to road asked me about recommending a decent hardtail. Knowing that the last decent mtb ride he did was late 90’s early noughties I nearly suggested a Solaris but when I thought about it… I know that gravel bikes overlap into this area of riding and I have one of those, but it isn’t the same as a nice fast 29er that you can make a spur of the moment decision to take the rough route home. I’m not bashing Cotic, I probably fall into a fanboi category, it’s just interesting for me that this may be the first Cotic upgrade that gets hung up and the previous version reinstated.

soulwood
    Free Member

I’m also 6ft 3 and on XL on both Cotics. My old Solaris is large as they only occasionally made XL previously.

tinytim

If anyone is interested I’m about to put a 1st Gen XL Simple / Solaris on eBay, having swapped everything onto a new SolarisMax. (Which I absolutely love!)
    I suppose a lot of it depends on where you’re based, but there’s a lot of love for the Longshot Solaris in Hathersage: mostly Dark Peak rides

chakaping
    Free Member

for those not loving the Solairs

Just to clarify: I really, really liked it – but in the end I just realised I’d love a short-travel 29er FS even more, for the sort of riding it was now capable of.

Solaris mk2 review

Review: Cotic Solaris

SolarisMax mk2 review

Review: Cotic SolarisMAX Mk 2 – A hardtail for all occasions

cloggy

Hardtail Party came to the same conclusions. Thought it more an Enduro machine than a Cross Country bike, though he was extremely impressed with it.

benp1

Interesting thread this. I’m still on my MK1 Solaris, pretty much the last of the Mk1s I think. I asked for advice on the forum back when I bought it as there were a few bikes I was considering. I’ve held onto it because it’s still fun. It’s a large and I’m 6’3, would have preferred an XL but they weren’t being made.

Did have a 120mm fork on it originally but now runs a rigid carbon fork which I’m enjoying and suits my very tame trails here. In fact it’s my only MTB. Rigid forks and the new Solaris don’t seem to go together

swanny853

Benp1- in another thread I’ve updated my opinion on the new one. It took a couple of weekends of giving it a bit more beans on some steeper, rougher and faster stuff for it to make sense. And then it really makes sense.

It is a compromise, but for what I’m doing with it most of the time, the loss of that ‘attack’ feeling is made up for by how much it makes me grin when the going gets rough.

(Incidentally, for such a long bike, I’ve actually found it really rather good for properly tight singletrack. I’m guessing it’s something to do with what Cy says about your weight being central to the turning circle)

Alex

I had the ex-demo Mk1 and rode that for a couple of years mostly with a 120mm fork. Recorded some of my best climbing times on local trails. It was a good XC/Trail bike – perfect for the Wentwood 50 for example.

Then bought a M MK1 Max for my daughter but I rode it loads. Bit small for me but lots of fun on our local twisty trails. MK 2 (first batch) is noticeably longer and slacker. I’ve ridden that in many more places (Black Mountains, Quantocks, etc) and it’s a super capable bike. But maybe not as ‘fun’ as the MK1.

Didn’t like either of the Max’s on 29s. Always ran 27.5×2.8

Now I’ve bought this Nordest which is slacker and takes a bigger fork, it’ll be really interesting to compare that to the Max.

MoreCashThanDash

I bought one of the last old badge Solaris Max as a replacement for my ancient 26″ Soul.

Interesting, still running a Mk1 Soul and would like something more modern as it’s getting harder to find parts for the old sizes and standards sometimes. Would love another Cotic but not sure they’d suit my lazy, trying not to get hurt riding style.

chiefgrooveguru

“Would love another Cotic but not sure they’d suit my lazy, trying not to get hurt riding style.”

These long slack bikes are definitely safer than older bikes if you’re riding the same terrain at the same speed – they feel very calm and relaxed. You don’t have to be as sharp with your movements, they’re more tolerant of less precise riding, but you do have to move more to make them turn. So it really depends on what kind of laziness your riding style embodies!

the_kenburg

After getting a replacement set of Hunt Trail Wide wheels for my current gen Solaris I’ve been able to put in a few rides in my local trails and also a visit to FoD last Friday.

FWIW I have found that the bike accelerates well both uphill and down. Climbing particularly has been a revelation! The 29 x 2.6 tyres don’t seem to inhibit the rolling along feel either. My Strava times (used for fitness tracking and not KOM chasing) are not far off what I was hitting on my Whyte T130, and some of the difference can be put down to (1) getting used to the handling off the bike, not actually as hard as some make out, (2) my relative lack of fitness after limited riding time this year and (3) the trails being a bit slippery in places!

Yesterday, I went for a quick spin locally, just to loosen my legs up. I ended riding probably twice as far as I intended, and had time permitted felt like I could have gone further. It really felt like the bike wanted to go on!

My reasons for buying the Solaris were varied. I wanted something simpler, that would better my riding skills, that was capable of covering distance, but also able to be fun when I wanted to scoot downhill or on slightly more interesting terrain. Yesterday, as I whizzed down the bridleway through Workman’s Wood near Sheepscombe, in lovely early autumnal sunlight I had one of those epiphany moments and realised that I think I’ve bought the perfect bike for me. YMMV.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had one of those epiphany moments and realised that I think I’ve bought the perfect bike for me. YMMV.

Until you start wondering what it would be like if you replicated the frame in titanium…

hazmo

Bump for an old thread.

Anyone got any more thoughts on the SolarisMAX?

Heart has always lusted after a Cotic but head is worried it may be too downhill orientated. How is it for all day 50 mile epics?

highlandman
    Free Member

Another few months on and more local riding done; yes, it is a trail bike and not an xc bike for sure. I’ve done over 70 mile days on mine with a 140 coil fork on it and as an example, doing the Great Glen Way in one go, it was about 30 minutes slower and a bit more tiring than on an older 29er Inbred, even with the advantage of a dropper post that the other didn’t have. Some of that difference is due to the chunkier tyres that the Solaris begs for. I’ve ridden the SolarisMax just about everywhere I’d take the big bike and it is quick in a lot of situations. It’s been down Coire Lair in Torridon, it’s been up on the Cairngorm plateau and blatting about in woods at Dunkeld, Pitlochry and on Deeside.
    If your 50 mile epic plans don’t include some sections of fun, steep and techy downhills, I’d perhaps suggest looking elsewhere, perhaps Stanton..? My Solaris is built with a distinct role in mind and it’s definitely chunkier than an XC build would be. make of that what you will!

Northwind

I have the current one, with a 130mm fork in. It’s certainly the most capable hardtail I’ve owned, by some way (and I’ve had some awesome hardtails, like my Ragley Ti, not to mention a BFe and a Soul)

I don’t feel it “too downhill oriented” or too extreme at all, it’s a great everyday bike. I intentionally built it fairly light, though it still needs decent tyres so they can keep up with the frame so that’s the biggest step away from “xc bike”, and it’d be an absolute insult not to give it a long dropper post.

There’s some things it does a wee bit less well than less extreme bikes I’ve owned- for sure the 29er wheels have an effect on jumping etc for all they add speed and grip, and it’s got a bit less poise for steep climbing, it’s definitely waggier and not so easy to just sit on the nose and pedal. (the Ragley was a magnificent climber, unexpectedly) But, even the stuff that’s probably what makes it “too extreme” for some still works for a long XC ride imo. It’s comfy, it’s roomy, and it carries speed.

The main thing is I don’t really love it. I appreciate the hell out of it though. I loved my first Soul, and my Ragley. This one’s definitely better but for whatever reason it’s probably never going to be more than a tool, which is OK since it’s a really bloody good tool, but I will hold it against it.

lawman91

I’ve got a MK5 Soul with the Long shot geometry and do find it a long old bike. It’ll do big, long rides, but like others have said, they do feel a lot more downhill orientated compared to the older bikes. You could always size down and fit a longer 50mm stem rather than the 35mm they recommend and get a more traditional fit, just need to make sure you have enough seatpost in the frame.

Northwind

Thing about the longyness is, last year I bought another mk2 soul, built it up with similar parts to my old one… I loved that bike first time round, but, this one felt ludicrously short, on steep stuff it was obviously exactly as good as it always was but man it did not feel like it, just because I’m now used to better. These things aren’t absolutes.

And equally, the Solarismax is long in hardtail terms I suppose but that’s only because hardtails are more conservative. (I’d say behind the times) and harder hitting hardtails still a bit of a niche thing. Like, it’s only 15mm reachier and 20mm longer in wheelbase than my 2014, 140mm full suss trailbike, but it’s designed to do the exact same job. I’d say rather than really being long, it’s a sensible size, and it’s just that it’s taken an awful long time to get there and a lot of other hardtails are still in 2014.

swanny853

I’ve happily used my LS version for all day big rides. Not as many as the old mk1, but I’ve only had it since the summer and Covid…

Did the King Alfreds Way on it, 95mile final day along the ridgeway, perfectly comfortable place to tick off the miles.

It did take me a little while to love it/click with it, and you do have to be careful not to build it up too heavy and take the zing out of it, but it’s still an all rounder, just a bit different. If you want to fit it to buzzwords- if the old one did a bit of XC race, lots ‘just riding around’ and some tougher stuff, this one is ‘just riding around’, lots of traily stuff and then a bit more in reserve.

LAT

i have a Solaris with QR dropouts. it is positively terrifying by comparison with a modern bike in steep or fast situations. it it a pleasant bike for a leisurely ride or for flattish trails, but things fall apart when you need to get out of the saddle as it is too short.

slackboy

How is it for all day 50 mile epics?

I took mine round the Mary Townley a couple of weeks ago, it was fine. Geometry is comfy for just riding along.

I’m happier on my new yeti, but that says more about my bad back and skill level than it says about the Solarismax.

hazmo

Thanks all. Good to hear some real world experiences.

benp1

Was enjoying this thread last time, still enjoying it now

I’ve since moved house from the relative flatlands of North London to the South Downs. Started riding with a group and have had to put my dropper on my mk1 rigid solaris to be able to keep up on the downs with everyone else. Most others are on FS bikes, some on FS e-bikes. Couple of hardtails. I’m still enjoying riding it, although would appreciate some suspension for some sections. I have a sus fork to put on it but I’m holding off as long as I can

No real point to this post. Had my Solaris since 2014 and it’s still good!

rstephenson
    Free Member

I’ve got one, built it up recently. Fairly new to biking, it’s my second proper hardtail after a 29er inbred (I’ve also bought a full suss inbetween).
    It will probably have alot to do with how my riding’s come on over the last year, and the poor (suntour xcm) and then average (rockshox recon) forks I had on the inbred, but I was terrified and shaken to bits on some of my local trails (west Yorkshire) on the inbred, but now with the solarismax they’re just a hoot.
    Also, seeing as I’m quite new to biking I’ve read alot about bikes being really long these days with no great experience of what they used to be like, but at 6′ on a large it fits perfectly, definitely wouldn’t want it any shorter, and also after reading a few reviews and watching the hardtail party review I kind of got the impression it was going to take ages to get used to, but a couple of rides in I was just really enjoying it. Again, maybe it’s because I haven’t had to unlearn years of riding habits on different styles of bike..?
    I bought it because of it’s versatility (good descending, good for longer rides, tow the kids, bikepacking ability, takes 29/27.5+), wanted to try an 853 frame (hard to compare the ‘suppleness’ of the frame tbh given my little experience), and really don’t like that seat post brace thing that lots of manufacturers seem to go for (the bfe max included I think).
    In short, I find it ace but would love to have a go on one of the older models to see what the difference is given how much people rate them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Solarismax the best one?’ is closed to new replies.