Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Soft shell or waterproof shell ?
  • iainc

For mtb use only….

(I use a waterproof shell on road)

….come winter I’ll be tucked up in a Stealth, however this time of year I find that I can stay warm and dryish with a decent softshell, or pop a Howies Dfyi on top of a Jersey.

Would quite like a simple packable breathable waterproof for proper wet days when temp still not too low…

jimjam
    Free Member

Light shell all the way

iainc

Hmmmm, having lost a bit of weight I’m eying up an Endura Helium. Any reason not to ?

jimjam
    Free Member

I have one and highly recommend it actually.

iainc

Nice one, how do they size up ?

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and just over 12 stone and take a medium. Bit of a snug fit but you don’t want it flapping around I guess. It’s primarily intended as a road jacket I think but it doesn’t suffer from the super tiny fit of say Mavic clothing.

iainc

Thanks for that, will pop into LBS and have a look

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m a tall skinny 6′ 5″ and a medium fits me well. It’s a slim roadie fit rather than a fat lad at the back. It’s a good jacket but it’s small and lightweight above tough. I use it on mainly on the road bike as fits in the back pocket of a shirt well.

It goes in the camelbak in summer sometimes but usually the Flyte gets taken out. Similar cut, less packable but still smallish and much more up to taking hits from brambles and branches.

iainc

That’s interesting as I only want it for off road use, as have Craft and Sportful road ones. Might look at Flyte…

jimjam
    Free Member

I crashed plenty in mine, never an issue. It’s a kind of stretch or soft to touch fabric so it seems less inclined to rip than a typical hardshell style waterproof. I’ve yet to find anything from any company with the possible exception of the montane minimus that has it’s combination of light/breathable/comfortable/water proof.

iainc

jimjam, sounds ideal plus the Flyte looks a bit heavy for my needs. Will pop into shop tomorrow for a look, cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Soft shell or waterproof shell ?’ is closed to new replies.