Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Sodding Windows 10.
  • mattbee

When I turned off my work laptop yesterday it insisted on updating itself before it shut down, which took about half an hour. Why then when I turned it on a short while ago is it now ‘working on updates, this may take a while’..? It’s been sitting on 12% complete for about 5 minutes so far. Think I need to persuade the boss to get me a mac….

cp

a mac will do exactly the same.

You’ll have received the recent update, which as per nearly all updates finishes off on start up.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I understand your frustration, but I do wonder why everyone cries and moans about Windows updates, but gets a chubby for Mac updates.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Same thing happened on the home PC a couple of days ago. Im told it tool a while to finish off.
    The complaining seems to have stopped, so I assume its ok now.

retro83
    Free Member

Dunno, especially as Apple seems to have given up on OSX/computers.

http://arrival.io/

hooli

It does seem to update at the worst possible time and then when it eventually reboots the F&%£ mouse or some other driver has gone missing.

lovewookie

sit tight, it can take anything from 30-90 minutes depending on how crap your PC is.

Yak

Think that is the massive anniversary update. Took mine about 90mins on start up. Might as well head out for a coffee/ride/weekly shop etc.

the-muffin-man

No they don’t. Macs only do updates when you authorise them to.

You’ll get a notification on the App store icon and you can pick the parts you want to update.

cp

No they don’t. Macs only do updates when you authorise them to.

unless you have auto updates turned on. A bit like Windows really.

oldnpastit

Linux FTW.

andytherocketeer

At least the Linux and OSX can do the upgrade in situ, even while bits that are being updated are still running, and not save all the updates to be applied when everything is shut down/restarted.
    90 min is excessive. didn’t even take that long to install and apply updates in the first place on mine.

edit: and I’m sure all 3 platforms have the ability to either autoinstall or let user choose when and what.

Yak

Hopefully the OP is razzing around the woods now on a sneaky ride, safe in the knowledge that no work can happen.

mattbee

53% complete now. Seriously thinking of buggering off for a ride. Unless the boss (who is on here) reads this, in which case the reason I’m not answering the phone is because I’m busy filing invoices or something…

milky1980
    Free Member

My laptop did the update a few days ago, took an age so went out for a bit while it did it’s thing. Now the right hand mouse button no longer works and it doesn’t recognise the printer.

It’s like they’re trying to get me to buy a new computer 😐

mattyfez

I don’t get the moaning, if you dont like it turn automatic updates off and update when it suits you.
    Thevrecent update was a big one so it does take a while.

scotroutes

FWIW, my PC updated a couple of days ago. Other than some slight changes to the “Start” menu I’ve not noticed any difference.

jambalaya
    Free Member

a mac will do exactly the same

No it won’t mac’s download updates in the background, many don’t need a restart amd those that do take just a few minutes. The annual Operating System new version update (optional) can takenanwhile tonfldownload but thats easy to do overnight.

Good luck OP hopefully your printer/scanner will still work

soobalias
    Free Member

the anniversary update was/is not optional

yes it will lose some important driver or other
    yes it will default a load of settings that you have carefully tuned over the recent months
    yes it will add everything to its startup list
    yes the boot time will increase significantly

yes you can roll it back if it really mangles your machine – but only within 10days of the update.

rickmeister

yes it will lose some important driver or other
    yes it will default a load of settings that you have carefully tuned over the recent months
    yes it will add everything to its startup list
    yes the boot time will increase significantly

Thats the benefits of windows, right there.

Every update our windows machine did, fekked it up, little by little.. thats why Msreickmeister insisted on a new Windows 10 machine…. and whats just happened … ?

verses

I’ve possibly been a bit slow on the uptake, but I now foresee a problem in a couple of years time where Windows forces the latest features onto creaky old laptops making them unusable before their time.

Where we would/could have hung onto Windows XP/Vista/7/8 indefinitely (albeit insecurely) people will either have to move to Linux or (probably more likely) bin their laptop.

With my conspiracy hat on… Has an planned side-effect of the free Windows 10 been a ruse to revive flagging PC sales of recent years (Where MS make money from PC manufacturers from licensing)?

EDIT: For the record – I hate having forced updates. While it may make sense for most novice/every-day users, I personally find it a right pain in the arse.

mattbee

Well, an hour later and I’m finally able to do some work. Yay….

Cougar

I can’t remember the last time I did a hard shutdown of a laptop (other than to choose to do so for update reasons).

holst
    Free Member

If you go to the Update settings, you can set Active Hours. Windows Update won’t auto restart during Active Hours. You can also go to Advanced Options and check “Use my sign in to automatically setting up my device after an update.”

If you set those correctly and leave your machine running overnight, when you come back in the morning, it will be all ready to go.

mac’s download updates in the background, many don’t need a restart amd those that do take just a few minutes. The annual Operating System new version update (optional) can takenanwhile tonfldownload but thats easy to do overnight.

This is basically the same as Windows, except the OS is updated twice a year these days.

soobalias
    Free Member

i dont want to leave my netbook plugged in and ‘on’ all the time

having rolled back to the prev build, what do i need to do to ensure it doesnt f***update itself again?

stumpy01

I’m sure there’s several settings for Windows updates – something along the lines of:

– update automatically
    – download updates & notify when ready to be installed
    – don’t do anything with updates unless I tell you to

Just fiddle with the settings until you find one that suits your requirements…..

andytherocketeer

There was a thread just yesterday (or maybe the day before) about how to update the W10 auto-update settings.

mattbee

Great. Excel is no longer working…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No it won’t. It’ll download the updates without you noticing then ask you when you’d like them installed. I let mine do it overnight so the worst I have to do is a restart.

molgrips
    Free Member

No it won’t mac’s download updates in the background, many don’t need a restart amd those that do take just a few minutes.

Most Windows updates do that too. The ones that don’t need a restart, you don’t notice them do you?

No it won’t. It’ll download the updates without you noticing then ask you when you’d like them installed.

Same as Windows – except it’s not the default.

cp

No it won’t.

it will! Just like in windows, there are settings to make it behave differently as to how you want it to….

wors

Is it just THE thing to do, moan about microsoft and their products?

cp

Is it just THE thing to do, moan about microsoft and their products?

yup.

though when applied to their phones is entirely valid 🙂

wors

though when applied to their phones is entirely valid

You know, I had a nokia a few years ago running WP and never had any bother, did everything i wanted it too. Much better than this Samsung piece of shit that i’ve got now!

mattbee

Only when it makes my life harder. I resent having to bugger about with settings just to stop it doing things when I want rather than when they want. Got better things to do with my Friday than faff for ages after waiting for an hour that I was going to be spent on swearing at Gantt charts… Computers don’t play a massive part in my job, so it’s not something I do every day. Think I’d rather be on site with the guys lifting 60kg light units 70m up the side of a tower. Rigging a 3:1 hauling system and tight line 6 times would be so much easier than this…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Windows allows shut down or shut down and install if configured. Otherwise just hit shutdown and walk away or for a laptop close the lid, what’s the problem?

raymeridians
    Free Member

Windows allows shut down or shut down and install if configured. Otherwise just hit shutdown and walk away or for a laptop close the lid, what’s the problem?

Win 10 AU still waits for each person to login before doing it’s post-install actions.

But the fundamental problem is that Microsoft can and do break things without telling you first or giving the option to opt-out. Win 10 is different to all previous versions in this regard.

Cougar

Win 10 AU still waits for each person to login before doing it’s post-install actions.

That’s a setting you can change (it’ll log you in, update and log out again). It doesn’t do it by default for security reasons.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yesterday morning I set up our PC at home all logged in and ready to buy some tickets when they went on sale at 9am (Iron Maiden since you ask). So I take our kids to school and rush back *just* in time to get the tickets at 9am and…

Yep – it had decided it was time to start doing an update and it was 4% in to what it said could be a long wait.

FFS

Anyway, fortunately I had my Mac in my work bag, quickly opened it up and logged on. One minute later and I had my tickets.

I hate PCs and Windows in particular.

Cougar

Don’t use them then.

I don’t get this wah wah Linux / Mac / Windows argument. Pick your format, no-one has a gun to your head.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Sodding Windows 10.’ is closed to new replies.