Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 321 total)
  • Sod the important stuff, let's have a good old Friday petty irritations thread
  • nickc

“yeah, no” as a conversation filler. I do it, and it annoys me. it’s a tick like “err” “so” etc etc. I wish I could just stop doing it.

Coffee snobs

My broken bike, the trails… ’nuff said

the fact that the weekend weather’s looking less great than the whole week.

andytherocketeer

Women (because let’s face it, it is) who insist on packing all their shopping before rummaging in their bags to find their purse to find a card to pay.

also the complete opposite…

those who don’t pack anything at all (especially in smaller shops with single packing area at the till) until everything has been scanned, and then paid for.

and then the checkout girl scans and stacks all my stuff together, where I can’t pack it either, or stick it back inthe basket, so making it look like I’m the one holding up the next person.

we really need some self serve tills here. but then I always buy a beer or something on purpose at those to make the girl come over to auth the 18+ thing. and hold up the next person.

bigG
    Free Member

today’s minor gripe – cherry scones, with hardly any cherries in them. If I wanted a plain scone with a wee bit of cherry on top, I’d buy them. It really screwed up my 11 am coffee break.

DezB
    Free Member

Driving, right, oh there are so many, but the one that gets me every single sodding time:
    You’re following this dope out of a side road, around a couple of roundabouts – no sign whatsoever of any indicator to tell you where they’re going. Must have a broken indicator, yeah? Or a disabled little finger..?
    But, you then follow them down a slip road onto an empty motorway.. they get on the slip road ON COMES THE RIGHT INDICATOR! So many of these f-heads.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m stood y the luggage belt, it’s 830pm and I just want to go home….

pictonroad

Me myself and I. almost all the irritations I experience in daily life can be followed back to a decision I’ve made somewhere along the line. Usually by trying to rush things or not leaving enough time. 🙄

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok here’s another one – Nemone on 6Music helping me through my morning and the dicks outside have started up the pipes and drums.

jfletch
    Free Member

It’s not just shopping. Massive queue for anything and they will invariably wait until the transaction is almost complete before getting their purse out instead of utilising the dead time in the queue TO ACTUALLY BE ****ING READY

I’d expand this to include everyone who doesn’t understand the concept of a critial path and task predecesors and can’t apply it in life to sceanrios when then need to decide in what order to do things.

pondo

Simple things being over-explained, has been my petty irritation this morning.

neilthewheel

People who say pacific when they mean specific.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

People who have to get out their cars to put the ticket in the exit barrier in car parks. If you have this little spatial awareness, you shouldn’t be on the road; in fact, it should be part of the driving test.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

pondo – Member
    Simple things being over-explained, has been my petty irritation this morning.

Care to elaborate?

richmtb

Drivers who overtake me on my bike approaching a red light.

Where did you think you could go?

lunge

Delivery companies, well, delivery companies that aren’t DPD. It must be possible for them to tell me when my package will be delivered, and by when I mean a 1 or 2 hour timeslot not a “between 7am and 6pm Tuesday” slot. And, when you have given said slot, sticking to it. Parcel Force are currently up to 72 hours on a 48 hour delivery promise, my wife was not happy about waiting in all day yesterday for a package that never arrived…

Mister-P
    Free Member

“SomethinK, anythinK, everythinK”.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Oh and the whiney voices that kids put on when they want something.

The whiney voice kids put on all the time!* Especially while telling a crap story about school etc…

(*I’m sure it’s different with your own kids)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Alot.

Abit.

Aswell.

Oh and Ton’s apostrophe in Fridays irked me too.

spooky_b329

PDF files at work that prompt me to save every single file when I’ve not made any changes…

allthepies
    Free Member

Adds project managers to the list 🙂

wwaswas

People who link to stw threads from Twitter.

[you know who you are 😉 ]

Northwind

I just bought a curly wurly, and it’s all smashed up into little bits. I’ve no moral objection to little bits of nibblable chocolate, in fact if they made bags of curly wurly shrapnel, I’d buy one. But you don’t buy a curly wurly for little bits, you buy it for impractical hard-to-eat goodness!

DT78
    Free Member

Drivers who overtake me on my bike approaching a red light.

And then pull in close to the curb to block you pootling past, so you have the choice of, stopping, riding on the pavement or going round the right hand side.

Also – drivers who race past, to slam the brakes on a turn left causing you to brake (twice this morning…)

scaredypants

Northwind – Member
    I just bought a curly wurly, and it’s all smashed up into little bits. I’ve no moral objection to little bits of nibblable chocolate, in fact if they made bags of curly wurly shrapnel, I’d buy one. But you don’t buy a curly wurly for little bits, you buy it for impractical hard-to-eat goodness!
    I am bereft.

🙄

RobHilton
    Free Member

People who use “random” incorrectly.

See also: jealous.

People saying “can I get?” in shops/cafes

Instead of “can I have?”?

Wouldn’t “may I purchase?” be more appropriate?

EDIT: I hate pedants :mrgreen:

More EDIT: Actually I do – especially the ones who are worng about what they’re being picky about.

theotherjonv

Also – drivers who race past, to slam the brakes on a turn left causing you to brake (twice this morning…)

That’s not a petty irritation though, that’s a big f’off annoyance that should be a capital offence.

People who don’t understand the concept of a thread.

wwaswas

Actually I do – especially the ones who are worng about what they’re being picky about.

but you’re not bothered by poor spelling?

Northwind

I mean, how do you even shatter caramel?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Surely “Please may I have…” is better than “Can I have…”?

richmtb

AARRGGHH!!!

Loose instead of lose.

Every time I read it I almost loose it

anono

There are certainly some valid points being raised here, but clearly the big one has been missed – people who sniff constantly on public transport – like Chinese water torture with a side order of gross out.

Mister-P
    Free Member

People who over exaggerate sneezes.

slowoldman

People saying “can I get?”

Yes to that. I of often been irritated by another little misuse. Can you guess what it is?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

This site requiring you to login again every time there’s a new video advert 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member
    langylad
    Free Member

People who say ‘haitch’ for the letter aitch, thinking they are being posh. I never fail to let them know the error of their ways

matt_outandabout

surroundedbyhills – Member
    and the dicks outside have started up the pipes and drums.

Oh the joys of tourism, so glad your business doesn’t rely on it. 😉

There is only one reasonable response to pipes – a BB gun. Close range. Aimed upwards. From ground level.

Northwind

neil the wheel – Member

People who say “different tact” when they mean “different tack” Ironically, most often said by people who lack any tact at all.

stumpy01

Northwind – Member

I mean, how do you even shatter caramel?

If it’s chilled, very easily I reckon….

Which brings me to my first irritation. The vending machine at work chills the items inside, which is good. But when you buy something, you have to watch as your chocolate bar is dropped from a not insubstantial height onto a hard metal ‘floor’. Fine for Mars bars etc. but not for Twirls or Kitkats….would it be that hard to put a rubber mat in the bottom?

theotherjonv – Member

Women (because let’s face it, it is) who insist on packing all their shopping before rummaging in their bags to find their purse to find a card to pay

Taking this a step further, it’s the ones who then get out a massive wodge of coupons and just hands them to the cashier so they have to check every one to see which actually still in date and valid for the stuff that’s been purchased GAH!!!!

Too many driving ones to get started on. Although…..
    People who do something blatantly wrong, you take avoiding action to avoid a collision with perhaps a quick toot and then they hurl abuse at you, as if you are the one who was actually driving like a moron in the first place. I had this happen to me at Sandy roundabout on the A1 a while back and the resulting flash of anger from the bloke who’d nearly smashed into the side of my car ended up with him tailing me all the way up the A1 to Peterborough maintaining a constant gap. Admittedly I did turn this into a fun way to pass my commute by randomly varying my speed and seeing if he’s stay following me (he did).

cheers_drive

People who can’t walk in a straight line, particularly in underground passages.
    See also trolley luggage, and walking 3 abreast.

DrJ

People using their phones in all sorts of situations where they shouldn’t be, two notable examples being when they should be packing their groceries and paying for them (aside from the little aspect of acknowledging that the cashier is a human being), and when they’re dawdling along the footpath looking at the screen when they should be aware of the fact that a very important person (i.e. me) is heading straight towards them and is in a hurry.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 321 total)

The topic ‘Sod the important stuff, let's have a good old Friday petty irritations thread’ is closed to new replies.