• This topic has 37 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • So, road bikes for beginners…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Only really ever ridden off road but I’m tempted (partly due to an office charity ride I’ve volunteered for) to try a road bike out.

If I look for second hand, anything I should look for and avoid?

or should I just chuck some slicks on and a big dinner plate of a big ring?

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s not much different to mountain bikes. Weight, quality and condition of parts are the key thing. You could do worse than go down Decathlon and get one of theirs to see if it’s your sort of thing as I can’t imagine a cheap BTwin would be hard to shift unlike, say, a second/third hand but more expensive bike.

IHN

I’ve got a frame you can have, have fun building up with bits from the classifieds (or cheapy groupset deal from Merlin/CRC/Wiggle)

It’s a cx frame, so you could ‘gravel’ it for maximum sceneness 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Secondhand Allez is what I’d go for. However I ride a steel Genesis now as it’s lovely.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

IHN – “Gravel it”?? Is this the bike alternative to pebble dashing?

If I’m honest I have no idea where to even start…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jools – I did see a second hand nearly new Allez in the classifieds, it went damn fast.

IHN

Gravel bikes man, they’re like road bikes you can ride off road as well. Where have you been?

weeksy

Decathlon bikes are great value

thepurist

First thing is to work out what size you’d be after – you tend to spend longer in the same position than on an mtb so sizing is more critical.

Oh and embrace the lycra 😉

Edit – actually what’s the charity thing? If it’s looong distance then road bike makes sense, but a one off 40-70 miler just stick some slicks on your mtb and make sure you’re geared appropriately

seosamh77
    Free Member
    Bushwacked
    Free Member

charity thing is a 12 hour team event. so each rider takes turns. Aim to do as many miles as possible. worth noting that one of the team is a national level triathlete. 😕

mrjmt
    Free Member

national level triathlete

just be glad you’re taking it in turns and won’t be out on the course with them!

fifeandy
    Free Member

There’s not a huge amount of places to go wrong buying an entry level road bike to be honest.
    Basically 3 things to consider.
    1) Make sure it fits – if you’re not comfortable in the drops, you’re not getting any advantage over a sporty hybrid (a BMC or Boardman for instance)
    2) Budget an extra £60 for some decent tyres – the difference between a cheap nasty set of training tyres and a proper racing tyre (but still with puncture belt) is ~1-1.5mph.
    3) Don’t forget you’ll need new bottle cages, spare tube, etc

shermer75
    Free Member

Having done both- slicks on an MTB and getting a road bike- I can confirm that a road bike is loooads better for faster, less tiring mileage. I got a Trek 2.1, it was £700 (new) in 2013.

shermer75
    Free Member

What sort of money were you hoping to spend?

atlaz
    Free Member

Couple of brand new Sora 18-speed bikes on Paul’s Cycles for 500 or less

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just been prepping a road bike buying mini-guide actually.

This would be a good option IMO…
    https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-pr7-rs-road-bike-shoe-pedal-deal-99310.html

11sp 105, frame sounds decent, Mavic rims & shoes & pedals thrown in for £600.

shermer75
    Free Member

That ^^ looks like an excellent deal, assuming the Merlin frame is good..

mrblobby
    Free Member

If the event is imminent then this…

or should I just chuck some slicks on and a big dinner plate of a big ring?

You don’t even need a particularly big ring. Is it a lumpy route?

If you have a bit more time and think you might want to do a bit more road riding then that Merlin or a B’Twin or something like that would be a good bet. Depends on your budget really. Sizing is rather important so you might be better off with a trip down your LBS and take their advice if they know their stuff.

Oh and if you do get a road bike don’t spoil it by wearing your baggies and peaked helmet 🙂

Haze

worth noting that one of the team is a national level triathlete

Don’t follow his lead in clothing or cornering technique.

chum3
    Free Member

worth noting that one of the team is a national level triathlete

The main disappointment of racing with someone who is significantly faster than average in your team is that they will get more rest than you! Assuming, of course, you don’t ‘forget’ to turn up in transition… 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

The main disappointment of racing with someone who is significantly faster than average in your team is that they will get more rest than you! Assuming, of course, you ‘forget’ to turn up in transition…

Kinda depends on the rules of the event, and how you organise it.
    I was cranking out fairly nice lap times at Relentless like clockwork much to the despair of my partner who was gradually slowing, so I took a couple of double stints to equalise the riding time, which gave him more chance to rest up.

Note – the spike in the times is quite interesting – the weather closed in to the point that lights didn’t seem to light anything up, so were both around 8mins slower on the downhills due to not being able to see!

thepurist

Back to the event – so it’s 12 hours but how many on the team? If there’s just you and IronMan then that’s 6 hours each, but if there’s another 4 then you;re down to 2 hours – depending on the route the difference between slick shod big ringed MTB and unfamiliar road bike in a couple of hours riding may only be a handful of miles out of a much bigger total.

So is it worth it? Or do you secretly want to buy a road bike?

13thfloormonk

Make sure it fits – if you’re not comfortable in the drops, you’re not getting any advantage over a sporty hybrid (a BMC or Boardman for instance)

Mmm… go to disagree with this one, even if you’re not using the drops, the two positions left to you (hoods or tops) are much better than the equivalent positions you’d get on a slicked up MTB.

I just did a 5 hour road ride on Saturday on my slicked up Superfly. Bars are 560mm wide with stubby bar ends. I didn’t have a relaxed upright position like I would on the tops of a road bar, and sitting on the bar ends was nowhere near as comfortable or natural as sitting on the hoods.

I guess I could fit a stubby 50mm stem and some massive bull horn bar ends, that would give me the difference in reach at least, don’t think I could face looking at that set up for five hours though! 8)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Might see if I can borrow one to give it a try.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@13thFloorMonk, OP is going to be racing, so doesn’t need a relaxed upright position, and in terms of frontal area the hoods won’t give significant improvement over a narrow flatbar.

Being comfortable on the drops however will buy best part of 1mph.

nathb
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Merlin bikes, my old man has the entry one and it looks and feels like a much more expensive bike.

However I’d recommend a Felt F95 as a first road bike: https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f95-road-bike-2016-93855.html

Have a look on eBay for some barely used bargains, Merlin flooded the market with £350 ones a couple of years ago.

TiRed

For a beginner, fit will always trump features. Used is good, and a 105 or Ultegra bike can be found for 3-400. For new, I’m a big fan of Btwin. Want to spend more? Buy a Giant Defy. They cater for all budgets.

Then swap the tyres to something nice. It’s the single biggest upgrade you can make.

joebristol

The bike from Merlin above has amazing spec for the money – can’t believe for that you get a full 105 group (bar the cheap tektro brakes), plus shoes plus pedals!

No idea on the quality of the frame though – I’ve had racers from Giant (ocr), Cannondale (caad 9) and currently a Boardman Team carbon.

My favourite bike was the caad9 I think. The Boardman is faster but the Cannondale was ‘flickier’ in the handling.

nathb
    Free Member

Just to add to my Felt F95 recommendation….

Most came with white bar tape – so you can see how much they have been used if still on the original (look for the Felt symbol on the tape).

It weighs 10kg, change the FSA tempo chainset to a 105 5800 (£75) and new tyres (£50) and it’s now a 9kg weapon. 🙂

They should be around £200-250 second hand.

wicki
    Free Member

SIZE SIZE SIZE its everything with road dont buy blind i did.

atlaz
    Free Member

Perhaps my “budget” tyres were not as bad as expected but swapping the Conti Grand Prix that came with my KTM for my usual GP4000SII saved me about 40g. The wheelset saved me close to half a kilo though 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

SIZE SIZE SIZE

54,56,58 are the options for 90% of the population I cant be that hard to get close.

I would be more than happy on most basic aluminum road bikes with working gears(not too fussed how many) and a nice set of wheels and tyres. Merlin do deals on Fulcrum and Conti sets which are pretty good.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

25c tyres
    80 psi front
    100 psi rear
    Get the frame in the right size for you it will make a huge difference
    Saddle should be spirit level flat for comfort
    Gears wise I would go for a 50 34 double up front.

I found pushing big gears knackered my knees and now gives me platella pain

don’t worry about frame material or how light it is, you will want a robust bike for clipping pot holes etc.

I have had a Specialized allez for 6 years now, its had new tyres, grip tape, saddle and gearing (up from a 2 x 8 to 2 x 10) that’s it. One spoke went on the back wheel about 5.5 years in.

The bike cost me £250

atlaz
    Free Member

25c tyres

… more if you have clearance

80 psi front
    100 psi rear

Depends on roads, tyres etc. I never go more than 80psi. Experiment a bit, don’t get too fixated on super-high pressure road-traditionalist stuff.

Saddle should be spirit level flat for comfort

… to start with. Then move it up or down a little to suit personal choice.

Gears wise I would go for a 50 34 double up front.

Probably a safe bet. If you can get a decent sized cassette then do so. I’ve got an 11-32 which helps a fair bit with the steep stuff around here

nwmlarge
    Free Member

😉

wicki
    Free Member

I bought a 55 that had a 58 cm top tube on the internet not all frames are proportional.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘So, road bikes for beginners…’ is closed to new replies.