Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So long, and thanks for all the carrot cake…
  • Stu_N

So, it’s now all over at The Hub In The Forest. Glentress won’t be the same again. We’ve lost an awesome place to chill out before or after a ride, somewhere that epitomises everything that is good about biking.

27 Nov 2011 – End of The Hub by Stu_N, on Flickr

Cracking last day riding with old riding buddies in the winter sun, slotted in between a roll and sausage in the morning and soup and carrot cake at lunchtime. Trails were totally rammed, the sun shone, the car park full.

Cafe was mobbed – queues were out the door and everyone squeezed up together on tables to make space, awesome atmosphere and a celebration of all that was great about the Hub. Superb costumes too – like Freddy Mercury wasn’t dead, the Spice Girls still together, Alice Cooper was making coffees and Bowie shouting “that’s an order” into the kitchen.

Such a shame that bureaucracy killed a great business – thanks to Emma and Tracy for 10 great years and all the best to them and their team for the future. And my last ever bit of carrot cake…

Last ever carrot cake by Stu_N, on Flickr

Could bring a tear to a glass eye…

sambob
    Free Member

Now that’s a slice of cake. Shame 😥

Stu_N

Aye, a fine slice. Some straight away, then your proper lunch, then plenty left for afters.

munrobiker
    Free Member

“Glentress won’t be the same again.”

Why, are they building new trails?

I don’t think I’ve been in the cafe for at least a couple of years, I go to ride my bike.

Also, if I did want a cake, the new place has space to sit down.

iainc

The Hub was great. The new Cafe is really good too IMO.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m over it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Such a shame that bureaucracy killed a great business

“Boils my P155” that sort of thing.

Northwind

Stu_N – Member

Cafe was mobbed – queues were out the door and everyone squeezed up together on tables to make space,

Aye. And y’know what? If there’d been a bit less of that, I’d be a bit sadder to see them go.

Glad they got a good sendoff, the fireworks were just going up as we left.

bigjim

Aye it was a fun day there today, I managed several rounds of food and tea and hot choc. Fireworks were fun and the fire just about took the edge off that wind. Will certainly be most odd not finishing a Gt ride there after all these years!

rickmeister

Nice one Stu, we were there as well. Good to see the girls and the scribbles on the wall were a nice touch. We have been in touch with Tracy and Emma from the start, enjoyed their courses and pretty much all they have done to bring kids into the sport and develop mtb in the area. Obviously we dont know the whole backstory during the ten years but we have really appreciated spending time with them and wish them well on the next adventure. Hope they stick around but I’m sure there is another project in the pipeline somewhere….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If anyones looking for that similar vibe, then head to the Shed at Mabie, Good coffee, food and cakes, and a wood burner with a rocking chair. Braw.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Never been to GT. So… the Hub is shut but there’s another cafe?

partyboy
    Free Member

So… the Hub is shut but there’s another cafe?

Yep and its nice and clean with plenty of places to sit.

Trekster

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    If anyones looking for that similar vibe, then head to the Shed at Mabie, Good coffee, food and cakes, and a wood burner with a rocking chair. Braw.

+1 and Jemma is creating some new cakes on what has now been dubbed cake tasting Thursday(or something like that). Open from 11-3. Leftovers will be eaten after the night ride 😉

iainc

so what is Mabie like these days ? not been there in over a year, but it’s nearly as close to me as GT (hour and a wee bit)

what night and time nite ride ?

druidh
    Free Member

I was at Mabie today for the very first time. It was incredibly wet, though we only had rain for about 5 minutes. Really enjoyed it though. Well – except for The Scorpion. Jeebus – I was all light-headed when I reached the fire-road at the top.

iainc

druidh – I was hoping to be there today with the GMBC guys but sick weans and lack of sleep killed that plan..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So long, and thanks for all the carrot cake…’ is closed to new replies.