Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • So is it legal to overtake a cylist by crossing a white line on the road
  • project
    Free Member

Tonight got overtaken while cycling by numerous vehicles who stradled the single and double white lines, on a very twisty stretch of road only about a quarter of a mile long, so they could have waited as i do.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think its ok if they are passing a slow moving vehicle ,not sure of the definition of slow (speed)though

Bez

Yes, it’s legal, provided you is slow:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

“You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.”

Stoner
    Free Member

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

perfectly legal. Stand down the mob.

druidh
    Free Member

Only if the bike is travelling at less than 10mph

molgrips
    Free Member

or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less

Hehe.. that’s pretty damn slow actually.

druidh
    Free Member

In practice, it’s often perfectly safe to do so.

project
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRa8ZdUm0U[/video]

From 51 seconds in.

druidh
    Free Member

Very considerate of you to cycle in the gutter so they have space to pass you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As above wrt speed, however 10mph is VERY slow. I’d have no problem with people overtaking me on twisties if I were crawling at 10-15, any faster and I’d probably find it annoying/distracting and it’d be more dangerous (cover more distance, round bends, while overtaking). I’d be more cheesed off that some of those got quite close before overtaking and since you were in the gutter they try to squeeze past when cars are coming the other way too. Stick centre lane and they’ll be less likely to try to pass as the way ahead is more difficult to see/achieve if you think it’s unsafe for them to pass there.

Stoner
    Free Member

Your road position isnt great.
    You really should take a wider position to make them think harder about crossing the white line further.
    And you’re a bit slow 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

looked a badly designed road as well.

dont ride that road. One of the idiots will kill you

edit – whats the speed limit?

Stoner
    Free Member

looked a badly designed road as well.

its not an urban space TJ, most roads arent “designed” and there’s not a lot of opportunity to make them more cycle-safe.

If you actually mean the historic road shape does not make a safe cycling space then fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stoner – see my edit. It makes a difference. I hardly ever cycle on a road with more than a 30 mph limit. as fore “designed” – it appears to have various lines and coloured areas on the surface 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Does any one else signal the drivers as to when it’s safe/dangerous to overtake? There was probably too traffic on the road in the vid but maybe it would still be possible.
    In my experience it’s generally well received.

samuri
    Free Member

Apart from him being a bit slow and having a bad road position, other road users really are rubbish aren’t they?

That lorry came way too close for a start and most of the vehicles came way too close.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don simon – Member

Does any one else signal the drivers as to when it’s safe/dangerous to overtake?

Of course

aracer
    Free Member

In practice, it’s often perfectly safe to do so.

Indeed – one of my bugbears is that far too much use is made of solid white lines when people should be able to tell whether or not it’s safe to overtake themselves. Plenty of places round here where it’s perfectly safe to cross the solid line to overtake a cyclist doing 20mph, but that would be illegal – I’m sure it encourages drivers to try and overtake without crossing the centre line.

brokensoul
    Free Member

As above, ride further out, make ’em go around you.

bazzer
    Free Member

There are lots of places where over taking on double white lines on a motorcycle is as safe as houses. Police still don’t seem to take too kindly to it though.

I must admit I tend to respect them in the car even with over taking cyclists, but then again I am probably more considerate being that I am often on the receiving end of close calls from cars on the bike. I do a bit of road biking these days and you can control the cars a little bit with road position.

Drac

My Dad got a ticket for overtaking a stationary vehicle on double solid white lines. The Policeman told him only could authorise him to overtake stationary vehicles in these circumstances. Did my Dad listen to me and go to court, no he took it on the chin and paid the fine.

rugbydick

The Policeman told him only could authorise him to overtake stationary vehicles in these circumstances.

I take it you mean only the policeman can authorise overtaking?

So if there are no police officers about, should you sit and wait for the next one to come along? Could be some time with the recent government cuts, etc… 🙄

nbt

My Dad got a ticket for overtaking a stationary vehicle on double solid white lines.

The law says you shouldn’t stop (park) when there’s double white lines, so the other guy should have been “done”.

DezB
    Free Member

Your road position isnt great.
    You really should take a wider position to make them think harder about crossing the white line further.

🙄

1. Did he ask for advice?
    2. Can you actually tell his road position from that video?
    3. Have you ridden that road?

1. No
    2. No
    3. No (probably)

donsimon
    Free Member

1. Did he ask for advice?
    2. Can you actually tell his road position from that video?
    3. Have you ridden that road?

1. No
    2. No
    3. No (probably)
    New round here? 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

Road position does not look great, though I expect you’d get dog’s abuse if you rode defensively.

If it was of I’d try amother road if that were possible.

Did you check the cars’ seas windows for stw stickers?

KennySenior
    Free Member

project you’ve got a bit of a cheek complaining about the car drivers when you cycled along that road for over 2 minutes all the time looking over you shoulder. Look where you’re going man.

cupra
    Free Member

I never signal drivers when it is or isn’t safe to overtake, it’s just another potential liability for me if something goes wrong.

convert

If that was me, I’d be looking to avoid that section of road at that time of day. I’m assuming that as you chose to stop to turn the camera on and then again to turn it off when finished you were expecting trouble. And that’s the sort of road where even I would be riding more defensively/annoyingly.

Just because you can (ride your bike on that section), doesn’t mean you should but I’ve got in trouble for saying that before around here! There’s only ever one proper looser in a bike/motor vehicle interface.

Cougar

The law says you shouldn’t stop (park) when there’s double white lines, so the other guy should have been “done”.

Which law is that, then? Are you thinking of double yellows?

DezB
    Free Member

New round here?

Good point. Well made. 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t know if there is a law, but I think the logic is that you can’t park in an area that forces traffic to cross the double white lines in order to pass you.

nbt

No, double white. Richpips got a ticket for it. will look up the referenc at lunch if I get chance. and bear in mind, it’s double white lines in the centre, regardless of whether they’re solid, so it applies to hatchings as well.

aracer
    Free Member

Rule 240 Highway Code, clause 6.
    “You MUST NOT stop or park on:

a road marked with double white lines, except to pick up or set down passengers”
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860

It’s a “must not”, so there is a law against it – one of the ones listed at the bottom of that rule presumably.

Just how difficult is it to go and check the HC? Took me all of about 1 minute to find that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I still want to know what the speed limit is

aracer
    Free Member

I still want to know what the speed limit is

What’s the relevance?

project
    Free Member

Kenny Senior – Member
    project you’ve got a bit of a cheek complaining about the car drivers when you cycled along that road for over 2 minutes all the time looking over you shoulder. Look where you’re going man.

POSTED 23 MINUTES AGO #

It was filmed from a rear facing camera.

As for road positioning, it was an uphill section,the time was about 4.30pm, and usually a bit quieter.

Oh and its also part of route 56, of the National cycle network, and i cycle it about 3 times a month, and it was quite a surprise to me to see how close Pickfords, the volkswagen, and the vectra came.

TJ, its a 30mph road, big red custard signs painted on the road, along with signs and sharks teeth on the approaches, seems as if some motorists didnt want to obey the rules.

project
    Free Member

Oh and I WAS WEARING A HELMET.

5lab

there’s neither street lighting nor repeater signs, so I’d say NSL?

edit : musta missed the limit painted on the road

GrahamS

He passes a 30 sign going the other way TJ, so at least some of it is residential.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘So is it legal to overtake a cylist by crossing a white line on the road’ is closed to new replies.