• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Whenever I found myself having to corner in the bunch I was like “Right come on guys, hold your lines, eye’s up, easy now!” If it saved one near miss then it was worth sounding like a wally 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m not surprised Nath, a lot of people told certain other people they were being dangerous and they carried on the same! Carried on until the crash in fact 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

I only had one lap where I was fast enough to not feel able to pedal Brians apex TiRed, the Chinese frame was flexing like crazy 😆

matts
    Free Member

Well done CH. Sounds like you really enjoyed that one.

Do I care that the Vegan Cyclist isn’t winning any races? No, but I lap up his videos because he encapsulates the type of racer I want to be. Strong, brave, attacking and active.

Are you talking about ‘Eat Plants’? He must be local to me as he’s right up there on most of my local hills. Some of his stuff is quite good, but in one of his videos he was giving dietary advice along the lines of “Massive amounts of refined sugar is where it’s at”, which basically completely contrary to current science. 😕

crosshair
    Free Member

No, this dude:

[video]https://youtu.be/Taz4u95YQ_o[/video]

He seems to be doing 1000w sprints everywhere 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

CH, all the +brownie points you’ve accumulated in this thread have been burnt in 1 go by making us watch that dude for 19mins….

nathb
    Free Member

CH you got me thinking about the race in a couple of weeks…

I’ve got 17 points this season, 23 until cat 2 – which given that if the IWS isnt running only gives me a handful of races. Therefore I’ve decided that racing for points isn’t for this year.

So the plan, try and ride off the front. Quick strategic sprint just after the start of a corner and then hold 340w/185bpm in the most aero position I can muster (I’ve tested this at 350w for 40 mins). I’m thinking if I go stupidly early people will think I’m crazy and just let me be? Haha

I’ve just signed an employment contract and finish work at 1:30 on Fridays – so providing I’m clear of this cold I’m going to head down to Hillingdon and see what that means in terms of speed – I think I need this to translate to 27mph?

crosshair
    Free Member

Nath, that guy today did 370w for 10mins to solo the win at 27mph. (Irrelevant side note, I did 26.7mph @ 307w over the same ten minutes- knew I should have tried to go with him 😆 )

Anyway, yeah- 27 should keep you away, just time it right. There’s always an early bout of attack/counter attack so wait until all the players are knackered from that and then Va Va Vroom 🙂

Tell me when and I’ll block the bunch for ya 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Fifeandy- I didn’t even check of it was a good one, just linked the first one. I just FFD to the racing 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes lol! Still +20 places on me 😆

jb89
    Free Member

nathb – Member
    CH you got me thinking about the race in a couple of weeks…

I’ve got 17 points this season, 23 until cat 2 – which given that if the IWS isnt running only gives me a handful of races. Therefore I’ve decided that racing for points isn’t for this year.

You need to get 40 points ‘whilst holding a 3rd category licence‘, so the 12 points as a 4th cat don’t count. However, points over 12 as a 4th cat do count, so you actually have 5 points as a 3rd cat, so need 35.

crosshair
    Free Member

Good job he’s not an accountant 😆

nathb
    Free Member

I forgot that bit 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

The winners race ^

He said he went solo for 6 laps so I don’t think he was the skin suited guy who I saw go with 3 laps left. He must have been caught.

crosshair
    Free Member

Intensity was 95% at 318w np so his ftp is still lower than yours Nath 😆

nathb
    Free Member

My last solo blast at Hillingdon which had a headwind down the main straight: https://www.strava.com/activities/989437111/segments/24257161811

I never maxed out though, 204bpm is my max, highest on that is 184bpm.

I think I may drive to Hillingdon for those 3 weekends…

crosshair
    Free Member

My race just as a comparison.

crosshair
    Free Member

Start of lap 2 and the merest whiff of a bent elbow 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Everyone takes this racing lark way too seriously 😆

nathb
    Free Member

You’re literally the only person with a smile on your face 😆

TiRed

Closest thing to a win tonight. Limited numbers, so we ran as one race not two. Weather was awful with a gale blowing up the straight. Attacked on second lap, was chased down. Lots of counters, but nothing stuck. Riders were shelled, and eventually three got away, to be joined by a fourth. That left seven in the chasing bunch. Somebody is going home without points.

Nine to go and Gray slips off the front. Nobody chases and he’s gone. Seven to go and I attack up the slope and am also away. Down into TT position and heart rate up. It’s Wednesday TT night! Stayed away for sixth, but first V50 over the line. Very pleased.

Those aero gains in full:
    Lowered bars by 1cm last night.
    Skinsuit
    Shoe covers (more for warmth)
    Aero helmet
    Aero gloves
    Aero bike
    Jet 6/9 TT wheels
    Arms resting on top of bars for half laps (only when alone!)

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome!!! Top bombing 🙂 Well done!

nathb
    Free Member

I would have dq’d you 😆

Only joking, nice ride well done!

crosshair
    Free Member

Ah that’s why you are always chatting to the comms Nath- you’re the snitch 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

CH, bent elbows, nice!
    Shame you pinned number on like a parachute to compensate though 😛

crosshair
    Free Member

I know!!! Didn’t realise until the race and then it was too late. It looked flat when I did it lol

nathb
    Free Member

Trying to clear the way for you CH 😆

Did a virtual TT race earlier, really struggled to get my legs spinning and HR up – I’m still recovering from a cold…in fact I couldn’t breathe through my nose due to the flood of snot haha.

345w average for 25 mins

At least I was consistent on the laps:

crosshair
    Free Member

Not sure about the first two 😆
    The last one’s ok- just before I bridged across at the start of the penultimate lap I guess?
    Edit- Actually not sure.

This IS when I did those two guys through Brian’s on the penultimate lap, hopefully proving I don’t make all this shit up 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

Your card must be marked crosshair as in that second photo there are a few riders behind you copying the locked arms, as always you are a leader not a follower.

crosshair
    Free Member

think it’s going to be quicker to get my ftp to 400w than it is to get myself riding aerodynamically 😆

nathb
    Free Member

I’m off to Hillingdon tomorrow to do some testing 🙂

Must commute as slow as possible to not skew the results too much!!!!!

crosshair
    Free Member

Oooo. Exciting stuff. What’s your target Watts, speed and or time??

nathb
    Free Member

TT effort around Hillingdon done. It was rather windy!!

I tried to replicate the “kick” at the beginning of an attack to break from the bunch @820W fading slowly – that should have hopefully got me a little bit of a gap to work with.

Stats wise:
    …………..Avg………Max
    Speed………25.0mi/h….28.9mi/h
    Heart Rate….174bpm……181bpm
    Cadence…….94……….109
    Power………319W……..820W
    Calories……535
    Elapsed Time..25:06
    Distance……10.4 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1117006069/segments/27515579545

Now the excuses;
    – I had commuted to and from work and stupidly can’t help myself sprinting (partly because I was running late in the morning 😆 ) But maybe that’s a good simulation?
    – I was carrying around 3kg of extra weight (tools and water etc)
    – I’d also commuted to the track
    – No sugar was consumed

Basically I think that if I turned up a little fresher, sugared up and without carrying the excess weight I may be able to squeeze an extra 1mph/20w more over the 25 mins??

crosshair
    Free Member

I think that’s a great effort.
    Has it helped clarify your tactics? You won’t ride off the front solo at that speed after all…

I think something similar to your old tactics will do the job anyway. 30mins asleep at the back, move up in the next lull then attack with a few laps to go.

nathb
    Free Member

Not sure yet, I’ll see what the conditions and pack are like… Still want to have another go at a solo break away this year 😆

Perhaps with 7/8 laps to go I’ll try it….

Happy to commit / ruin my points chances that’s for sure.

crosshair
    Free Member

Driving myself potty thinking about Tuesday!! Jesper is coming, as are a couple of TFC guys so there’s pressure there to beat them 😀

Then there’s the whole point thing. My plan for October calls for way more TSS than sitting in for the last 700m is going to give me- but that’s unlikely to help me finish strong and try and snatch my first point.

I’m feeling pretty good lately- last Tuesday was epic and I did a 5min power PB yesterday (tearing up the local charity fun ride 😆 ) so I just want to try SOMETHING.

One guy did attack the hill last time but didn’t get very far. I’m wondering whether just dieseling it off the front up the hill for a few laps in a row- keeping the pace a bit higher, might help thin the finish out a little as way too many people were super fresh last time!!

It’s a tough choice. If it comes down to the usual, then I want to have all my legs for it. But think of the glory of bucking the trend 😀

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Using a race for training only works for some aspects of training.

Do you want training stress or points more?

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Another Sunday, another poor write up from me…!
    Emergency services RR today, course around cheddington, 12*4.1 mile laps.
    Somewhere around the 3rd lap I found myself in a small group going off the back of the main group. It was a bit annoying as the same people who I kept coming last kept pushing back up then causing the split..but that comes back to my lack of racecraft I guess, as I should be shutting them down.
    Our group grew and got smaller every so often but averaged around 7, with people doing various amounts of work…
    The start/finish line was at the top of a punchy climb, think I read 8% somewhere. I kept pulling away from the group on the climb and sitting up at the top to rejoin, then pulling off sometimes on a flat straight. After a few laps of this and after the main bunch lapping us I went, a little too late to get in touch with them and unlap myself. I dropped the rest of my second group, felt like a bit of a dick doing it, didn’t have anything to lose though…! Eventually caught a guy who dropped out of the main and worked together to the finish. No points, no prizes, but had fun…!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.