• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • weeksy

But maybe worth bringing your bike down and seeing what you can do a lap in on your own, or even on mine/CH wheel, as a simple benchmark?

It’s certainly an option for the week before yes. I’m out at Swinley this weekend with my lad and mate, so can’t do this weekend, but i’m tempted by that idea for sure and just to see how i’d get on in a lap or 2 at ‘pace’… Obviously not your TT speed as we both know that ain’t happening, but between you and CG you can work out roughly what sort of speed we’re doing and put it somewhere around the right sort of pace… if i last 1/2 a lap, then i know the answer quickly and simply.

mrblobby
    Free Member

But if i can see in actual terms when running the Wahoo, i can get closer to him… Then why not.

Why not indeed! I think you’d enjoy it.

Happy to help if you and CH fancy a bit of outdoor race pace training 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Not sure I can do the 4th, it’s in discussion with the missus at the moment as it’s my birthday weekend. If I can race i’ll be shooting straight home sorry. Then on the 11th I have the in laws round with dinner in town.

But the 18th is still showing as free from 12:30pm (if CH can get out of anniversary things?) I was planning on doing an FTP test there before sending the PM back.

Could aim for the next series?
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/154841/BC-West-Thames–1

weeksy

Happy to help if you and CH fancy a bit of outdoor race pace training

Cheers fella. It’s a bit chilly out at the moment but there’s plenty of riding to be had over my way just a smidge north of CH’s place when it does warm up slightly… I think between me and him we can be quite flexible for getting out for a little pootle…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Weeksy, also the OTRT winter crit series over at Abingdon (here) starts on the 4th of Feb. Still 9 places left in the 4’s.

TiRed

I’ll be riding all the remaining races. Weeksy, I’m happy to pace you around to give you a feel for pace of 4th cat. I’m also happy to pace at E123 as well, but that is for a much shorter lap or two (I’ll have ridden 55 laps by then!).

Seriously, just give it a go. I never expected to race. Started in a club and tried it. Was out the back of my first few Winter Series races. But it clicked, I learned to race in masters racing, and never looked back.

And there are some very big guys in the pack. Just sit behind them and learn how to hold a wheel!

weeksy

And there are some very big guys in the pack. Just sit behind them and learn how to hold a wheel!

You say that like i won’t be lining up and everyone in there waiting for me to go so they can all get bahind me. At 15st+ i’m going to be one of if not the biggest i’d expect.

nathb
    Free Member

Nah wont be, have a skim through: http://www.davehaywardphotos.com/Cycling/Cycling-Circuits-

Plenty of different shapes, sizes, bikes & kit choices.

No one cares and everyone’s very supportive. As long as you don’t “chop” (I’m still not sure what that means), then everyone’s your friend.

mrblobby
    Free Member

As long as you don’t “chop” (I’m still not sure what that means), then everyone’s your friend.

I’m sure TiRed can better explain, but I think it’s basically holding your line and not cutting across anyone, especially going round corners.

weeksy

That could be a major issue… i’m yet to really see… a test lap or several would help that.

I don’t really ‘do’ road bikes… as much as it may seem i do from the number of zwift hours, i don’t really do outside much. Where i do ride on teh 2 times a year i usually do roads like the Newbury/Wantage road, the road from Lambourne to Newbury, the roads around Streatley/Newbury etc.. So not really tight and twisty…. but you can see quickly when we get to a downhill, my road bike handling skills are not as good as some of the regulars by a long way… they FLY down/round and i sort of mince my way round there…
    Assuming i’ll be able to speak, i’ll apologise nicely to anyone i chop 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Until Hillingdon I hadn’t been anywhere near those cornering angles out on the road, nor would I now!

Hillingdon is silky smooth, no potholes or metal grid etc to fly into 🙂

TiRed

Chopping is not holding one’s line and cutting across to take out a front wheel of a following rider. Being known as a “chopper” is about the biggest insult in road racing. Being a “safe wheel” is the best complement. Being a good “attacking rider” or even a “Winner” doesn’t even feature (for we pack fodder 😉 ). You have to learn to ride smoothly and become a safe wheel.

nathb
    Free Member

Ah so that’s what it means!

I don’t think I’ve been called a chopper, but then again no one has ever called me a safe wheel either. I’ve been called crazy and combative though, for attacking that is. 😆

By the way TiRed, what happened on Race 6 4th January 2014? bar your photo being taken that is 😆
    http://www.imperialracingteam.com/results1314.html?

TiRed

Well in the 4th cat race, I didn’t do much. In the E12/3 race, a newly promoted third cat locked handlebars with another rider and brought down the bunch on the small incline before Hospital Bend (I tell everyone that’s where the crashes take place). One rider fell very heavily onto some handlebars and broke ribs and punctured a lung. The air ambulance was called, and the HEMS doctor provided care, but didn’t get a ride.

The injured rider spent a week in hospital, the new third cat never raced on the road again!

nathb
    Free Member

Christ, I wish I hadn’t asked now! 😯

crosshair
    Free Member

Wow! Scary stuff!

I haven’t been called anything as such! A couple of guys “FFS’d” me this week but it was misplaced as I had nowhere to go either.

I have had loads of random support though from guys on the way back to the car. The atmosphere is great!!

(I’d imagine it is less supportive if you go around attacking everyone all the time of course 😀 )

weeksy

As an ex-racer on motorbikes, I’m cool with risks and broken bones. I’ve done a few this year without any other riders.

nathb
    Free Member

@CH there’s a couple of people who think they’re Froome, but they never seem to hang around after the race nor do I see them get a decent result. 95% of riders are there for fun though – definitely get a good vibe off the majority.

I seem to get a lot of locker room banter, which is great.

I hope the next series is as friendly, I’ve just had confirmation from the boss I can do something called flexible working!

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes! Me too Nath- I hope it’s not just the cold weather causing the camaraderie! I definitely need to improve for a 3/4 though. The hardest thing so far has been arriving in decent form- hopefully there won’t be as many colds floating around in April 😉

nathb
    Free Member

I think if you practiced your bursts to stick with the bunch you’ll have nailed it for April to be honest mate (ie inters).

Not going to lie there was points on Saturday (particularly after I’d just been caught) were if there was an attack and the front bunch responded I would have been spat out. I was mentally pleading with them for a few laps haha.

crosshair
    Free Member

Lol! That’s because you were still soloing in the wind 😀

Yes! Five minute power is a definite focal point.

<tootles off to look at Naths Strava….>

crosshair
    Free Member

Does your Mio have ‘autolap’ Nath?

nathb
    Free Member

What you trying to find on my strava? 😆

I have no idea to be honest… it’s a Mio 505 and I’m consulting google….

crosshair
    Free Member

Nothing in particular 🙂

I like Autolap on my Garmin so I can see when I get dropped 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

CH it’s your first lap that’s letting you down 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

🙂 I’m not sure what happened there. We did have a neutral lap but it was a little quicker than that 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Is there any software where I can do that manually with the gpx file? I’ll have a look through my mio’s options later.

crosshair
    Free Member

I know- I didn’t want to miss laps this week so pressed the button really early 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

My fastest lap in the bunch is 10seconds slower than Nath’s fastest solo lap 😀

nathb
    Free Member

How do you know 2:02 was my solo lap? ❓

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s your pb for the Hillingdon Winter Series segment. If you scroll down all the segments you’ll see it for each lap.

crosshair
    Free Member

nathb
    Free Member

But that’s quite far down isn’t it? From power numbers it was lap 4/5 that I went for the solo?

crosshair
    Free Member

Good point! Not sure… perhaps it was in the bunch then??

nathb
    Free Member

Must have been! The pace really picked up on the last couple of laps.

Results pending, I’m predicting 12th.

crosshair
    Free Member

Exciting! I wonder if I’ll make it to the list for only finishing 1 lap down?? Small steps and all that 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Woo congrats CH:

Round 6 4th Cats
    Place Club
    1st Charlie Woodall Big Boys Bicycle Club
    2nd Alex Randall Twickenham CC
    3rd Mark Aldred Kingston Wheelers
    4th Dan Adams London Dynamo
    5th Lloyd Molton Kingston Wheelers
    6th Pierre Jackson G.S. Henley
    7th Max Kingdon unattached
    8th Rufus Greenway Twickenham CC
    9th Dan Ferguson Amersham RCC
    10th Scott Shellien-Walker SD Racing Team
    11th Chris Brown Kingston Wheelers
    12th Nathan Bond unattached
    13th Edward Flight unattached
    14th Simon Pearce Berkhamsted CC
    15th Sam Gregson Velosport
    16th James Barrell BMRT
    17th Alastair Blowers VCGH
    18th Stuart McLay Hart Evolution RT
    19th Orlando Whitehead University College London Union
    20th Gianluca Palazzo Kingston Wheelers
    21st Gregory Woodford Reading Cycling Club
    22nd Mark Weight Sigma Sport
    23rd Joe Bennion University of Manchester CC
    24th Alan Nixon Amersham RCC
    25th James Ackerley GS Henley
    26th Johnathan Sargeant unattached
    27th Robert Broderick Watford Velo Sport
    28th Ross Greening Velosport CC
    29th Dan Gates Amersham RCC
    30th Billy Flinn Hart Evolution RT
    31st Iain Campbell VC Londres
    32nd Richard Metcalfe Berkhamsted CC
    33rd Ed Neaves unattached
    34th Andrew Shutler TFC
    35th Peter Cornwall unattached

crosshair
    Free Member

Lol!! I know it’s sad but I’m genuinely well chuffed 😀

nathb
    Free Member

No, you should be happy!!!

Looks like a good 20 people bailed?! I hope that wasn’t because of my splitting of the group, that won’t make me friends 😆

weeksy

You’re not there to make friends 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.