Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • So I Guess My Oven Temp Isnt What It says On The Front…..Melted Bont Content!
  • paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

Just thought I would post this as I’m still pretty p****d off with myself but hopefully after everyone has told me what an idiot I am I will, in time, laugh about it!!

Bought some lovely Bont Vaypor heat moldable road shoes at the start of the week, very happy!
    Decided the night before last to mold them as per instructions and numerous youtube videos.

I set the oven to ten degrees less than instructed and put them in for 5 minutes less than stated, better safe than sorry!

Imagine my horror when I opened the oven to a cloud of black smoke and the majority of the sole bits and protective toe piece melted and deformed!

I have just spent the last hour cleaning the remaining melted bits from the oven itself after a severe telling off from the mrs…

The only saving grace is that all bits that have been melted are available to buy from Bont, even the toe pieces……phew.

Jamie
    Free Member

heat moldable road shoes

I didn’t even know these existed.

enfht
    Free Member

As a kid I used to shrink crisp packets in the oven and put them on keys rings. Maybe you could do the same with your shoes?

grum
    Free Member

I’d be asking for the replacement bits for free personally. Unless you reckon your oven is really that far out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Did you have it on the grill setting?

bearnecessities

Choux pastry?

bruneep

Choux pastry?

Reported

RustySpanner

Nothing worse than overdone sole.
    Ends up very rubbery.

paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

was definitely on oven setting!!

Maybe I could make some Pat Butcher type earings for my mums birthday!!

I am quite interested in how far out the oven is, if at all…. Will borrow a thermocouple from work this week I think!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t mix up Celsius and Fahrenheit did you? Once made that mistake with some yoursole mouldable inserts.

Sandwich

Rusty is that Chinese “rubbery”?

bearnecessities

Fan/non-fan oven temps?

Jamie
    Free Member

Nothing worse than overdone sole.
    Ends up very rubbery.

bob_summers

What temp did you set? IIRC the instructions say 70ºc, which my oven won’t do, so I did it at 100º with no problems

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think Onzadog has it. The Bont website gives temp in Farenheit.

Jamie
    Free Member

Didn’t mix up Celsius and Fahrenheit did you?

Oh. That would be embarrassing.

nammynake
    Free Member

Bont Vapour. That’s the model, not an instruction.

paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

definitely didn’t get deg c and Fahrenheit mixed up…… I checked that before I posted!! as that would be extremely embarrassing.

It is a conventional oven and not being an expert on fan and conventional temps I wouldn’t know the difference.

nammynake….that made me laugh!

Ladders
    Free Member

You do realise you are meant to take the plastic bits off the sole first!!

bearnecessities

Well?!

jodafett

His silence speaks volumes! 😀

t-p26
    Free Member

Conventional oven or conveCtional oven? Everybody knows that using a Convectional oven you reduce the temp by 20 degrees dont they...dont they?

coatesy
    Free Member

Don’t know about ovens, but calibrating irons during my apprenticeship, most of them were miles out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘So I Guess My Oven Temp Isnt What It says On The Front…..Melted Bont Content!’ is closed to new replies.