Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SNP / Welsh running the country then………
  • gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Looks like they are going to have a LOT of power compared to the amount of seats won.

Ironic.

At least we might all be able to sample some of the self serving policies employed in the periphal home nations.

Interesting times and another election coming very soon.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Very poor quality troll

or a UKIP supporter (perhaps both)

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

No troll.

They are going to have a lot of sway in a government of mixed beliefs.

I feel positive that they may influence the major parties to bring the more controversial policies to the rest of the home nations.

Certainly going to be interesting to see the Tory rank and file watch their man do deals on Europe, voting reform and Scots / Welsh nationalism in a trade of for cost cutting swathes.

mogrim

I agree, not a troll. In a hung parliament small parties have a disproportionate influence.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I think you'll find that it's the Ulster Unionists who are more likely to be "running the country" as you put it.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

GF

If thats the case then Camerons flesh pressing in Northern Ireland looks a very salient move.

Im thinking there may be a mega coalition led by labour and held together by the promise of full PR. That said i dont know anything.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It looks to me like tories + unionists will be short of a majority and equally Labour and Lib dems short. So yes – the 9 or so nationalist MPS will have a say – certainly their votes will be crucial at times

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it not the case that the more parties you have in a coalition, the more desperate an attempt it looks and the less likely it is to have a moral mandate?

Given this and the number of people who couldn't vote, I reckon it raises the chances of a re-run *slightly*.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

MG

yep

and

yep

imho

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Looks like they are going to have a LOT of power compared to the amount of seats won

Like the Tories are going to have a disproprtionate amount of power compared to the seats won in Scotland

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Hence "ironic" in the OP……

whytetrash

Tidy like….especially if we all get the right to roam…surely a collaberative govt will actually represent the majority of people better?

Never know we might actually get a dual carriageway from South to North Wales now….that'd be nice!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

mega coalition = Progressive Alliance Government of Lib, Lab, + all spare minor parties vs Cons + UDP

epicyclo

We're more likely to get what a broader spread of the public want in a "hung parliament".

It's not tribal football, where one side has to win, it's democracy. Consensus government is a good thing.

Have you ever wondered where oppressive laws come from. eg copyright infringements from people copying music they have bought? Or criminalising decent people for carrying that common tool called a penknife?

Do you remember the masses of people demonstrating in the streets to get those laws? Mono-party government in action – they have to reward their sources of political donations.

IdleJon

epicyclo – Member

It's not tribal football, where one side has to win, it's democracy. Consensus government is a good thing.

I do believe that is the first time I've heard the word 'democracy' on this election campaign.. Seems to have been forgotten.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Too many cooks in a coalition – surely you just end up with laws that don't harm anybody but don't actually give any benefit? Sort of the Mondeo equivalent of politics?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Sort of the Mondeo equivalent of politics?

So we'll end up with a comfortable, fine-handling, easy-to-live-with, unpretentious, value-for-money government?

Nice one!

aracer
    Free Member

Also what about the West Lothian question? It seems the SNP could have the decisive vote on things concerning the NHS etc. which don't affect their constituents at all, despite the Conservatives having a clear majority in England.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SNP / Welsh running the country then………’ is closed to new replies.