Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Snapped Hope cranks… recommend a replacement?
  • cnehpets
    Free Member

My original Hope cranks have snapped on the non-drive side. After googling around, I see it’s not uncommon and that the EVO’s were released as ‘improved’ versions. I’ve got a replacement axle under warranty, but don’t fancy spending every ride half expecting my cranks to give-way at any given moment.

What would be recommendations in terms of an upgrade?

I’d like to keep the Hope bottom bracket if options allow and would need a boosted 1x chainline (52/53), but happy to swap this for more options.

simondbarnes

Shimano

rickon
    Free Member

As a SRAM X01 GXP and Dub user, with 5 sets of carbon ones on all my bikes. I’m gonna have to say…

Shimano SLX.

Anything more and you’re just paying for colours or the name.

chrismac

Shimano xt Cheap and reliable

damascus
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not user error that’s lead to them cracking?

Did you get all the spacers correct to prevent excessive force? See previous thread for details.

Upload a picture of your bottom bracket.

Personally I’d sell them and pick up some 2nd hand xtr cranks instead but if the hope cranks are installed correctly, there’s no reason for them to crack.

So it looks like I may owe Hope an apology and accept the mea culpa…
    I got the replacement axle a couple of days ago and decided to just give the things one more go. Turns out I’m a twerp and only used both bottom bracket spacers thus reducing the length the axle protrudes by enough to prevent the crank arm pushing all the way home. This is what caused the failure so I’m off to eat a decent slice of humble pie and give myself a good talking to.

Bloody Hope cranks have snapped…. Grrrr

endomick
    Free Member

It’s got to be Shimano.
    Gxp, dub, keep trying sram you’ll get there eventually.
    DMR axe is good, but bb options are limited.

cnehpets
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not user error that’s lead to them cracking?

Did you get all the spacers correct to prevent excessive force? See previous thread for details.

Upload a picture of your bottom bracket.

Personally I’d sell them and pick up some 2nd hand xtr cranks instead but if the hope cranks are installed correctly, there’s no reason for them to crack.

Spacers are correct, as per the guide it calls for a single 2.5mm spacer on the drive side for 73mm shells (Bronson V2). Always refitted with care after a clean using a quality torque wrench. I added a picture of the damage to the end of that thread, pretty lucky it missed my leg as my foot slipped.

Seems to be a theme with the Shimano recommendations, which is steering me away from Sram Dub. I think the choice will come down to chainring options available on the Shimano XT M8000 Boost or XTR M9120 spiderless looks like the XTR is 12 speed only, so back to the drawing board for 1×11.

stevehine

IIRC Hope do a Hope BB -> GXP conversion kit ? Might be worth a look.

bigyan
    Free Member

Shimano if it was my money.

cnehpets
    Free Member

Shortlisted the following

XT M8000 boost crankset
    One up components narrow wide chainring 32T
    XT MT800 bottom bracket

Comes in at just under £200 for the lot, how good are the throw-away BBs? Any serviceable alternatives?

swanny853

The new shimano bbs have been good in my experience.

If it was me I wouldn’t be looking at the m8000. I had an slx m7000 and quite aside from the bolt pattern being stupid, one of the chainring bolts managed to work loose and take the thread with it. Think I’ve lost one other chainring bolt ever.

I’d take either a raceface aeffect (or turbine if you want to stick with your hope bb) or one of the new direct mount shimano chainsets. You could go with the one up spidered rings if you wanted some interchangeability

SirHC

Shimano, it just works, uncomplicated and the BB’s are good. Unlike GXP which the tolerencing is woefull and the BB’s are terrible.

dc1988

Now Shimano have got direct mount chainrings I don’t see any worthy competitors

cnehpets
    Free Member

Looks like I read the XTR direct mount specs wrong, the M9120 is compatible as an 11/12 speed. Just struggling to find 175mm in stock anywhere in the UK!

eyestwice
    Free Member

+1 for Shimano

igm

I did snap the axle in a set of 760(?) XT cranks.

But I and my family have owned dozens of Shimano cranksets over the years, and that’s the only failure.

Cheapish, light, strong – pick Shimano

reggiegasket
    Free Member

struggling to find 175mm in stock

people still ride 175s…?

+1 Shimano direct mount, although the aftermarket rings aren’t there yet.

Rotor are good, if you can get your head around all the different versions.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

as pretty much everyone else has said – which ever shimano cranks that fit your budget and are the right length and width for your needs. usually can be found on sale somewhere and they are truly fit and forget other than replacing the BB when it goes

sillyoldman

I’ve got a set of the “Black Cranks” – the ones they offered while they had production delays on M9100/M9120 XTRs due to the fire.

Basically XT M8100 arms with XTR chainring. Unused and still in box. 175mm arms with 32T ring. Called MT900s.

£150 if of interest?

sync
    Free Member

I would suggest these @£215 @550g if you move over to a DUB bb system. It’s the Truvativ variant of sram so more component neutral if you have a shimano group (it’s effectively the new carbon 2021 GX). They come in 170 and 175.

https://r2-bike.com/TRUVATIV-Crank-Descendant-Carbon-Eagle-DUB-black-1×12-X-SYNC-2-Direct-Mount-chainring-32-teeth-BOOST-170-mm

Or Truvativ troy lee branded @£320 and @470g (ie X01)

https://r2-bike.com/TRUVATIV-Crankset-Descendant-Carbon-TLD-Troy-Lee-Designs-CoLab-1×12-Eagle-DUB-BOOST-X-SYNC-2-Direct-Mount-32z-black

Otherwise shimano SLX/XT/XTR. XT 8000/8100 is price palatable at around £150 with chainring and XTR about £360 with chainring.

poah
    Free Member

Shimano SLX hardly any weight different between them and XT.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shimano, as above, anything else is just fashionable shite.

endomick
    Free Member

I cant see why the latest spiderless shimano wouldn’t work with 11sp, the tooth profile is altered for the shaped inner plates of the hg+ chain so a normal chain shouldn’t have any issues. It’s the other way around that issues appear. As an M8000 user I find the asym 96 bcd problematic for future proofing.
    Unless it has to be XTR, just get XT.
    I wont suggest SLX, it’s clearly beneath you 🙂.

poah
    Free Member

Latest 12sp Shimano cranks work fine with 11sp. Got one on my scout

cnehpets
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of the “Black Cranks” – the ones they offered while they had production delays on M9100/M9120 XTRs due to the fire.

Basically XT M8100 arms with XTR chainring. Unused and still in box. 175mm arms with 32T ring. Called MT900s.

£150 if of interest?

They’d be great, could you PM over more details?

cnehpets
    Free Member

I cant see why the latest spiderless shimano wouldn’t work with 11sp, the tooth profile is altered for the shaped inner plates of the hg+ chain so a normal chain shouldn’t have any issues. It’s the other way around that issues appear. As an M8000 user I find the asym 96 bcd problematic for future proofing.
    Unless it has to be XTR, just get XT.
    I wont suggest SLX, it’s clearly beneath you 🙂.

Latest 12sp Shimano cranks work fine with 11sp. Got one on my scout

Thanks for the 11spd confirmation, both!

sillyoldman

Just PM’d you cnehpets.

timoth27

Would you sell the hopes? I’ll pm you.

teethgrinder

£50 for the Hopes…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Hope cranks… recommend a replacement?’ is closed to new replies.