Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 279 total)
  • Smokers – on and off and back on the wagon for 2011 – motivation thread.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

lozenges

Oh! Didn’t have anything like that when I quit. Just the gum and patches. A mate who is quitting at the moment has one of those smokeless cigarette things…..I dunno, you quitters now. Never had it so good! 😉

They have helped with irritability (especially reading Jamies pisstakes ) at times so if they do that, then fair enough.

Should have let me know mate, would have been gentle with you….you know….the way you like it 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Motivation folks. That’s what we’re here for.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and for something more helpful:

http://smokefree.nhs.uk/quit-tools/

hora
    Free Member

Keep at it. Remember you don’t chose to smoke. Tobacco companies have chosen you. Its not a passtime or leisure activity, its an adicition. Live your life without being controlled or told what to do by a substance.

Visited A&E a few times over the past week and seeing people smoking outside the entrance in their PJ’s is utterly disheartening. To think these people are in such a grip that they can’t even elect to lay off the things that are probably contributing to their ailments.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Junky 😆 – it’s those Jazzy ones that I broke my abstinence for, it being the festive period and all that. Much fun was had, although I did smoke rollies for a week after. Wasn’t until I’d run out (of the extra pack of) baccy that I quit again.

If there is something smokable in my house… I’ll smoke it.

hora
    Free Member

20 a day? Almost £200 a month?

Thats a Lapierre bicycle every year that your dropping on our pavement and roads!

binners

Hora. Please stop it. If there’s one thing that’s absolutely guaranteed to ensure I stay smoking its your sanctimonious pious bleating about having seen the light.

You only ever smoked to try and look cool while you were picking up men down the Village anyway 🙄

convert

Maybe some motivation to stick at it, maybe not.

Last night I learnt my father has lung cancer. He is 64 and has stage 4 with secondaries (metastasis) on one of his adrenal glands. This is not a good place to be. He was a career smoker.

I have some very mixed up feelings at the moment. Naturally I’m very concerned for him. He is frightened about death and even more frightened about dying and what the next few months have in store. He is “grieving” the retirement he will never have and the things he will never do. However I am also very angry. I am angry that he has deprived my mother of her life partner for at least part of the last couple of decades of her life (she’ll go on forever!). She will never get to do the camping trips in their newly bought camper they had planned either. It is likely she will have to move from their dream house and location for both financial and practical reasons and she won’t be able to cope on her own. I am angry that we asked him to stop smoking 20 years ago when his parents died from lung cancer and he could not or would not.
    If you need some motivation, even if you don’t care too much for yourself, please do so for your family (or future family) who will miss you when you have gone.

Sorry – hearing this sort of rubbish is probably like a broken record for you guys, but it feels pretty raw for me today.

hora
    Free Member

Sat in the GP surgery yesterday morning with two middle aged men- one was telling the other about his throat surgery. The other sounded like Darth Vader.

Binners – anyway its not your choice. You don’t chose, the fags tell you when and how many. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Hora. Please stop it. If there’s one thing that’s absolutely guaranteed to ensure I stay smoking its your sanctimonious pious bleating about having seen the light.

+1

Nothing worse than a sanctimonious ex-smoker.

hora
    Free Member

convert 🙁

We all seem to think we will live forever or it’ll happen to someone else.

Seems like only yesterday that I was 20- can remember everything. One day (too soon) I’ll be 60. **** facing a long, and terrifyingly slow decline.

Heart attack please. Not Cancer, please.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Wait a min… does Cheryl Cole smoke?

I’ve never noticed, but next time I’m generating some friction with her, I’ll have a look

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Convert…

My mum has just been released from hospital yesterday after having 1/3 of one lung removed after learning she had lung cancer in October. I have no idea where she was in terms of severity (she keeps these things to herself) and at this stage we have no idea whether she will get the all clear or not, although we do know that preliminary biopsies on lymph nodes were clear (although more have been biopsied and we are still awaiting the results).

Mum was in the Bexley Wing of St James Hospital in Leeds – one of the UKs leading teaching oncology units so there was bed after bed of people going through similar things (at least two of them were definitely lung cancer).

I remember, as a child telling her not to smoke – I used to go on and on about it, that it would kill her and I didn’t want to be without my mum and as Hora has just said there is a ‘it’ll happen to someone else’ mentality with most smokers.

Obviously I have no idea how far on your dad is, but lung cancer can be very treatable so don’t be too despondent. I clearly remember having feelings like yours a couple of months ago. But be there for him, enjoy the fact he is still here and you still have him to talk to. I lost dad two years ago on Sunday – a seemingly innocuous illness suddenly complicated and he was gone. No chance to say goodbye as none of us thought he was going anywhere.

convert

Thanks MF

hora
    Free Member

Aye we ALL think we are invincible- illness never crosses our mind. Only when we are slung low bedridden does our vulnerability leap to mind.

I had this 11years ago. This Christmas mrshora remarked ‘I can’t actually remember the last time when you were ill’.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Convert – where are you anyway? Any chance of being able to get him to the Leeds unit?

convert

I’m south coast England, they are near(ish) Inverness so I’d doubt it I guess. The distance is also a problem – how do you support from 600 miles and hold down a 6 day a week job? Work (a school) are very good at cutting a bit of slack when needed but it’s going to a be tough few months.

binners

I can’t actually remember the last time when you were ill

erm…. last week when you had to go and get antibiotics for your lung infection. At least, that was your excuse for not coming out riding. Have you been telling porkies Hora? Because you couldn’t be bothered getting out of bed as it was a bit cold

Or is it the Alzheimer’s? 😉

Reading convert and Mastiles stories I am quite determined to give up. Its my birthday soon. I think I’ll set that as a date

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Shame – obviously it is primary care so you do have a choice of hospital but clearly not logistically possible.

Again, I have no idea how bad your dad is compared to my mum, but she was fit and able (nearly 70) up till the operation so no care was needed beforehand – just emotional support. She found the days around hospital appointments were difficult but was able to switch off a bit and forget about it most of the time. Unfortunately my older brother moved from Yorkshire (5 minutes from her house) to Cornwall just at the time she found out. So my younger brother and me are helping her where we can (and so are her brothers).

This site is a very useful source of information…
    http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Lung/Lungcancer.aspx

If you ever want to speak privately with me, having just been through this and knowing just how you must be feeling right now, feel free to email me at m(dot)danford@mixd.co.uk

And remember be strong for your dad in whatever way you can – it’s times like this families can show their inner strength.

hora
    Free Member

Hence the words ‘this Christmas’. Its been 11yrs since I was last ill.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Reading convert and Mastiles stories I am quite determined to give up

As corny as it sounds, if anything good was to come of my experience, it would be to see one more person actually give up. I know that sounds like bollox, but I do mean it.

And I truly, truly do hope my mum can turn her back on them now (although she was nipping out to smoke whilst she was awaiting the operation can you believe that?)

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

It’s an addiction m_f and unfortunately it is very cunning.

Binners – how old are you going to be? I have just turned 40 and I was determined to hit 40 as an ex-smoker and so far I have managed to do it.

emsz
    Free Member

Oh for fudges sake, make a girl feel bad why don’t you?

What am I supposed to do with this packet of Marlboro lights? I might get grumpy, don’t have a go at me, ok?

binners

Exactly the same age as you fella. I think its about time to knock it on the head. I’ve got a few weeks to psyche myself up for it. And move to a different area to Hora. Who’s just going to be insufferable

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s an addiction m_f and unfortunately it is very cunning.

Of course it is – that’s why she has smoked for the last 55 years or so 🙁

Saying that, my brother gave up after smoking for 25 or so years – just decided to stop, threw half a packet away and stopped there and then. No excuses, no ‘I will stop when x is y’. Just stopped.

Jamie
    Free Member

binners:
    Exactly the same age as you fella. I think its about time to knock it on the head. I’ve got a few weeks to psyche myself up for it. And move to a different area to Hora. Who’s just going to be insufferable

Just pick an arbitrary day like Jan 27th. Unless that is a monday then don’t bother and choose a different date. Also make sure you have stuff planned to do to fill your time, whether it be exercise, dvd boxsets or I found my xbox 360 ate up alot of thinking about smoking time.

Use these next 2 weeks wisely 😉

Hohum
    Free Member

I smoked for just over 25 years.

Must be hard giving up after having smoked for 55 years. Mind you, my grandfather gave up when Maggie Thatcher won the 1979 election as he did not want to pay her any tax on his smokes and he had been smoking for probably a similar length of time.

I hope she can do it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not so Awesemsz!

Seriously all the phsyching up etc… just stop.
    Make it through the first day, the first week, first month don’t listen to your brother when he says you should get high at xmas…
    Start feeling smug about your success as soon as possible.

TSY (3.5 days, and all you smokers are jokers)

donsimon
    Free Member

Bit of a poo, m_f and convert. Those who are giving it a go, good luck.

binners

Right ho Jamie

You’ve just chosen my arbitrary day for me. 27th Jan it is then. I shall psychologically prepare myself. Wish me luck. I’ll bloody need it

Hohum
    Free Member

Binners, it’s not that much harder than some of the other things you have overcome recently.

Just go for it mate, you’ll be fine 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Binned them. Arbitary day is today.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Booom! That’s the spirit. Don’t forget to end every post with how many hours since you last smoked. Helped me.

binners

Oh bloody hell!! Talk about peer pessure. I suppose I’m going to have to bin a nearly full pack of B&H now am I?

Pah!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Or smoke them all tonight? By the last one you’ll want to quit anyway.

binners

Right! I’m going to do that. Arbitrary day is officially the 7th of January

Tally ho! Good Luck Emsz!!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I smoked from when I was 14 to March last year (19 years), only 10-20 a day but I smoked shit loads of weed every day too, mainly through my trusty bong. I tried cutting down and nicoteine replacements but none of that worked. What did work though was the Alan Carr book, I read a few peoples success stories on here and thought why not give it a shot, despite the book telling me to keep smoking all the way through it I got about half way through and thought you know what, I don’t want to, and haven’t smoked a bean since.

I think the absolute very most important thing is to change your mindset that you’re missing out on something by not smoking and it’s actually the other way around. And I also think it’s true that the mints, lozenges and inhalers ets actually keep you hooked, cold turkey is the only way. I don’t know if it was the cigs or the weed but I had terrible insomnia for over a month.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s the spirit. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Binners, emsz this is the only time being a quitter is a thing of pride – when you see someone else smoking in their car, outside their work, the pub… feel pity for them, not jealousy… the mindset change!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Good on you emsz and Binners.
    :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Smokers – on and off and back on the wagon for 2011 – motivation thread.’ is closed to new replies.