Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Slow people… As in REALLY slow…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Went on probably the slowest ride I’ve ever been on today. And I’m no quick rider, and I’ve been on some slow rides too in the past, but this one really was exceptional, so much so I feel I need to post on here!

Why do some people ride EVERYWHERE (as in up, along and down) in their granny ring? And immediately bail for the largest cog on the back, as soon as the trail points even slightly up from the flat?

Went on a ride today with a young lady (her suggestion, I was a little dubious) who has in her words been mountain biking for 2 years or so. So as you can imagine things sounded promising. She says she’s ridden at Cannock Chase a few times, so at least I know she’s ridden singletrack, but also on the Malverns so I’m guessing she’s ridden a few big hills at least.

Well anyway, transpires that her and her (male) cycling friends usually just get off and push up at the first sign of a hill so she said. She came dressed in clothing more suitable for climbing Ben Nevis on the coldest day of the year, and when I suggested she might be a bit hot in so many layers, she said “it’s ok, I much prefer to be a bit hot than a bit cold”… 😕

Now I’ve never moaned about someone’s pace before, as long as they’re trying. People can’t help it if they are slow, they can help not trying… Totally bemused cos she likes lots of outdoor activities, but seems totally averse to any kind of physical effort. Odd! Didn’t know what to say at all, but near the end tried to offer up that she might be better off using the middle ring occasionally on the flat as it will allow her to ride faster and stops the chain flapping about. She tried that for 20 metres, then went back saying “I find it better this way”… 🙁

By contrast, my ex GF started beating me uphills after only a few rides, and other girls I know who’ve been riding for a similar amount of time as this girl would probably actually say something rude given the total lack of effort put in!

toys19
    Free Member

Still single then mboy?

sc-xc

Went on a ride today with a young lady (her suggestion, I was a little dubious)

If she suggested she was a lady, she probably was….

monksie
    Free Member

You seem to have an incredible talent for attracting women who are not quite ‘right’.

antigee

slow lady ? fast woman shocker

jam-bo

Is mboy that fella with the pick axes?

poly
    Free Member

Why the rush?

If the girl was enjoying herself then no harm done, other than to test your patience.

If she wants to ride faster then either you can coach her in technique or if thats not in your skill set you can point her to those who can. Does she actually understand gear ratios? (or did you force her up into a high gear and middle ring combo that would have felt tough) can you explain it without being condescending? Do you actually remember what it was like to be really slow (if you ever were)?

The solution is not just to try harder – without the right training trying hard just breaks you quicker. I remember my first couple of years on the bike and much fitter/more experienced riders would seem able to turn bigger gears than I could and last much longer etc. Then when the stopped so I could catch up they got a (longer) rest. Even with riding MTB fairly regularly I never managed to break the cycle.

Only when I started doing road stuff could I leap up a level in fitness – and I am still fat and slow, and by most people on here’s standard very slow and unfit – but I now know how bad I was.

sc-xc

she might be better off using the middle ring occasionally

Missed this first time round. You dirty, dirty boy.

rOcKeTdOg

was this one going out with a married bloke too or is it the same one?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I’m off to bed and I’m expecting this thread to be a least 3 pages long by the time I log on again in the morning 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

Slow people… As in REALLY slow…

you called?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to say I have been stunned at non-cycling women’s ability to be incomprehensibly slow on a bike, like, “did you stop and have a snooze for 10m slow?”.

LOL @ toys19

lucien

Sometimes it’s nice to treat the ladeeeez slowly

R979
    Free Member

Mboy, your threads are starting to remind me of jhw’s (of ice-axe fame) memorable Asky Guy series from a several months ago.

Keep up the good work

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-do-you-deal-with-asky-people

Edit: *sigh* Those were the heady days when we could tag at will.

oldgit
    Free Member

Some people just don’t get gears. There’s a guy that’s been out a few times who by his own admission is slow. When we get to a climb he still drops it into the smallest sprocket? he won’t use his 34 ring either. And wonders why he can’t make the climbs.

njee20
    Free Member

The ‘asky’ one? That be JHW! Who I can only imagine is also still single.

mboy
    Free Member

Still single then mboy?

You’d noticed? 😉

You seem to have an incredible talent for attracting women who are not quite ‘right’.

I’m gonna quote you and tell my mates! They will literally piss themselves. You don’t know how accurate you are, but I have been the subject of ridicule on numerous occasions for the very talent you describe. One of my finest finds was a girl who by the end of the second date had told me all about how her uncle used to beat and molest her when she was young! There are stranger than that though… Maybe I should write a book! 😕

Not following to be fair… Please elaborate…

Why the rush?

No rush whatsoever… This was more akin to waiting for a recalcitrant child somewhere that it said it wanted to go but then decided it didn’t. For the record, by my guesstimation, we did 10-11 miles, and whilst we stopped and chatted for maybe 45 minutes, we were still out for over 4 hours. Not exactly big hills either.

Regarding the coaching her bit… Tried not to sound condescending when talking about the gears, it still didn’t seem to go down too well. She did however ask for tips on cornering, and seemed a bit more receptive there. I just don’t think she likes pedalling!

was this one going out with a married bloke too or is it the same one?

This was a date arranged weeks ago that I would have sacked off if anything was gonna happen with the other one. Shame she’s so messed up, as she really floats my boat!

Have to say I have been stunned at non-cycling women’s ability to be incomprehensibly slow on a bike, like, “did you stop and have a snooze for 10m slow?”.

I’ve usually found the opposite. Usually been quite shocked how determined to do well any women I’ve taken cycling for the first time have been, and impressed by the effort put in. Usually find guys new to the sport are slower and more relaxed by contrast. Anyway, she’s been riding for years, and at least 2 offroad she says! 😕

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy, your threads are starting to remind me of jhw’s (of ice-axe fame) memorable Asky Guy series from a several months ago.

Never saw that… But here’s my point to you… The more people I meet, the more confused I am by everything!

I’m seeking answers… 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

One of my finest finds was a girl who by the end of the second date had told me all about how her uncle used to beat and molest her when she was young!

bloody hell I had the same thing…she wasn’t called Kate, was she?

mboy
    Free Member

Eeesh, coincidence!

No her name was Emma. Ironically though, she was from your neck of the woods! Between Stroud and Gloucs somewhere iirc. Maybe she changed her name! 😕

Dancake
    Free Member

edit. Things are not always how they seem

Metasequoia

Someone discloses something traumatic to you in confidence, you worry about your own ‘bad luck’ in having to hear it and mention it in a public forum in the course of a thread you started criticising someone else at length, for holding you up on bike….someone you chose to ride with.

mboy
    Free Member

Your point metasequoia?

FWIW, it turned out to be a made up story she used to spin, in the name of grabbing attention. It worked briefly, as I was young and naive and was full of sympathy until I found out the truth!

hmanchester
    Free Member

There was a similar thread a couple of weeks ago

here

Seems to be following the same path. I have your point of view mboy, at least have a go at the hill….

This opinion on here however means that you are elitist, anti fatty, and obsessed with your own awesomeness.

hugor
    Free Member

Pretty full on story really.
    The way I read it, I’m not sure you have a knack of picking the wrong girls, it sounds like you are the wrong guy.
    Being a good mountain bike rider is pretty low on my partner’s requirements.
    This girl comes from a different riding culture to you but is still keen to get out with you.
    I wouldn’t be coaching her on your first date – just get out and enjoy the moment FWIW.
    My current partner tried so hard to impress me that she hurt herself badly a couple of times and now won’t go near a mountain bike again.
    Take it easy on her, its a date not a thrash with your mates!!

mboy
    Free Member

This opinion on here however means that you are elitist, anti fatty, and obsessed with your own awesomeness.

Yeah, that’s me all over!?!?! 😕

🙄

Got no point to prove whatsoever here, but I’m far from quick or elitist. And I mean far from it. I’ve helped introduce a large number of people to Mountain Biking, and don’t mind hanging about for anyone really. The one caveat I will say is that they have to at least seem to be trying somewhat. If she was genuinely slow like that, but blowing out of her arse I’d understand, but she barely broke a sweat!

I have never before today, really moaned about someone’s pace, but this was exceptionally slow! Slow to the point I struggled to actually enjoy being on my bike and saw the bike ride bit of the “date” as being a chore, because I was concentrating more on how far behind she was and then stopping all the time, than I was on riding and chatting. A walk would have been far preferable in this case.

rOcKeTdOg

“It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” Confucius

daftvader
    Free Member

I shouldnt worry too much. Mrs vader is slooooooow! Has to be reminded how her gears work on every ride and it takes us the same time to do 5 miles as I do 15. Just accept that she us slow and enjoy being outside……

hora
    Free Member

Mboy every tried having a pre-ride hand shuffle?

It will make you more relaxed and less jumpy.

Dobbo

I suggested she might be a bit hot in so many layers

😉 I got ya, I might try that one out some time.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Successful Dating 101

Rule 1. Do not criticise or try to change your partner during your first date.

DezB
    Free Member

Great post mboy. I laughed.
    Have been with a few slowies on rides (usually in big groups) – why do they insist on entering the singletrack first and not getting out of the way of quicker people?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Take it easy on her, its a date not a thrash with your mates!!”

Not quite sure if I’ve interpreted that the right way 😳

jambalaya
    Free Member

She asked you out on a ride (ie date) and then you were critical of her. She’s definitely not your riding partner as you say, she’s too slow. Equally, you are definitely not her future boyfriend.

@sc-xc – that’s priceless !

messiah
    Free Member

I wonder if these are the same people who go to gym’s and don’t break a sweat?

Each to their own and all that 🙄

epicsteve
    Free Member

There is a big difference in pace between even a very slow regular STW type rider (e.g. me, who’s probably just about the slowest person on here) and even a fairly fit occasional cyclist.

My wife is a lot fitter than me and if we’re running or hillwalking has to slow down significantly to let me keep up. When we’re cycling (on or off road) though it’s a completely different story as I’m significantly faster everywhere, even uphill where her power to weight ratio must be hugely better than mine.

binners

Have you thought about …ahem…. transferring to the opposition?

If you become a gayer, a bloke might be able to keep up a bit better

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Logged on again from last night and we’ve only just got to the second page. What is stw coming too?

ocrider

This is why I am so happy to have a sporty mrs!
    She just needs to sort out her confidence on the descents (by her own admission she dabs the brakes too heavily, so she’s halfway there)

Have faith, Mboy! *

*Or self-belief rather than trusting on beardy old men in the sky. 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Mboy- introduce her to the delights of strava. In no time at all she’ll be quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Slow people… As in REALLY slow…’ is closed to new replies.