Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Sliced bread etiquette
  • singletrackmind

Do you start with the crusty end first, or leave the crsuty end in the bag as a sacrificial anode to stop the next slice drying out?

Que, I dont eat sliced bread i make my own out of organic spelt that i hand rear in my orchard

No, what normal people do. Whrn you buy a loaf in a shop is it end to end or leave the crust fot halfway through

Discussions with colleagues about toasters equipped with photo electric sensors so your toast is always the ssme despite moisture content brought me here

thols2

Leave the crust unless you want to eat it, in which case eat the crust.

reeksy

Moisture lock. Essential. Habitual.
    And that’s with hitherto unsliced homemade sourdough, or the pleb’s stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We don’t eat much bread which means it lives in the freezer and is eaten as toast. Apparently, freezing does something to the resistant starch which is supposed to be really good for the gut biome.

cb200
    Free Member

Eat it as it comes!

BTW, in my world, the “crust” is the circumfrencial part of the standard slice of bread. The end slices are known as “heels”.

nickjb
    Free Member

Leave the crust to protect the middle. When you get down to four slices you have two crust/bread combos. That’s normal square bread. For a fancy round sour dough just eat it as it comes as the crusty end is too small to do anything.

doomanic

Left to protect the middle. Disposal depends on thickness; a pair of proper doorsteps get toasted and smothered in butter and marmite. Skinny crusts get binned.

mjsmke

If its an even number of slices, eat 2 at the time and leave the end crust till the end. If there’s an odd middle slice left, you know someone has stolen a slice, forcing you to make an uneven sandwich.

kayak23

There is nothing, but nothing, in this world better than a fresh, toasted crust of a new loaf.

Why on earth would you not enjoy that?

I suppose it separates people who are prepared to suffer now in the interests of their future, and those who live in the moment.

Enjoy that crust, when you put the bread back in the bread bin, put it cut side down.

zilog6128

For a fancy round sour dough just eat it as it comes as the crusty end is too small to do anything.

this, it is to be covered in butter and consumed immediately.
    However… round sour dough isn’t “fancy”, it’s normal bread. Cheap “bread” isn’t bread at all, but a BSO – Bread Shaped Object. Utter shite.
    I suspect this is actually a very clever troll post by the OP to out the plebs… everyone knows you don’t need a sacrificial slice to prevent bread drying out, as the paper bag it comes in (or, more likely, you place it in after baking) performs this function.

Kryton57

Apparently, freezing does something to the resistant starch which is supposed to be really good for the gut biome.

Everyday is a school day. So does this count if you defrost the bread first or does it go from frozen straight in the toaster?

I tend to keep my crusts until my appetite decides I want one thickly layered with marmite and peanut butter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Straight from freezer to toaster. Our toaster has a defrost setting

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheap “bread” isn’t bread at all, but a BSO – Bread Shaped Object. Utter shite

I love my home made sourdough, but I also love a plate of hot buttery Warburtons toastie, utter heathen that I am.

Bread snobs unite! 😂

MoreCashThanDash

Leave the crust to protect the middle. When you get down to four slices you have two crust/bread combos

Is the right answer.

z1ppy

^^^^ That

as “Moisture lock. Essential. Habitual.” is correct, then my partner comes along and just dumps the crust… almost annoying as her inability to cut bread straight GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRAHHHG!!!!

But Kayak is also correct, I will happily eat a still fresh/warm crust, as it is a joyous experience.

Esme
    Free Member

“For a fancy round sour dough just eat it as it comes as the crusty end is too small to do anything.”

A better method is, once you’ve eaten around two-thirds of the loaf, place it cut side down, then slice in the other direction.

sirromj

Top tip: you can use half a loaf of shop-bought-ready-sliced wholemeal as a hand warmer if you lock the moisture in and leave it for a few days to grow mould.

Is a a new thread needed on the topic of slicing loaves?

prettygreenparrot

A better method is, once you’ve eaten around two-thirds of the loaf, place it cut side down, then slice in the other direction

With proper bread we start with slicing from the middle and work our way out to the heels. Biggest, squadgiest slices are eaten first and the almost-matched ends keep the moisture content fair. When we get to the heels they are either OK for hens or perfect for toasting depending on thickness and dryness.

I’m not bothered about BSOs. The children grab that out of the freezer when they want.

kayak23

almost annoying as her inability to cut bread straight

My OH would appear to cut bread with a wooden spoon or something.
    I just don’t see how it ends up the shape it does.

I have to bring it back to a clean 90 degree face taking long, considered strokes, elbow in line, index finger pointed along the blade as if using my fine toothed Japanese dovetail saw, applying absolutely minimal pressure and letting the saw knife do the work.

Gauging the thickness consistently and perfectly to match the capacity of the vintage Dualit two-slice is immensely satisfying.

Next time, again, it looks like she’s ripped a slice off with her bare hands… 🙄😂

matt_outandabout

@kayak23 😂

tomparkin

I just don’t see how it ends up the shape it does.

Sigh. Yes. I don’t eat much bread these days, but in times gone by one slice of toast would have two parallel faces (or near enough, I don’t have a fine-tooth Japanese bread knife or baker’s set-square), and the other would have one flat face, and one resembling the altitude profile of a long day out in the Lakes or similar.

reeksy

Is a a new thread needed on the topic of slicing loaves?

A thread on all things Breadiquette may suffice.

I’m still reeling from reading that there are people (other than my wife and MIL) that believe it’s acceptable to toast fresh bread!

Esme
    Free Member

For some of you, this Even Bread Slicer might restore marital harmony . . .

kayla1
    Free Member

There is nothing, but nothing, in this world better than a fresh, toasted crust of a new loaf.

This on a stick and cut thick enough to just fit in the toaster with a bit of force.

The end that’s left that might end up drying out a bit just gets cut off and toasted and covered in peanut butter (the good shit, not the crap that’s full of sugar and palm oil) eventually anyway so it makes no difference.

grum
    Free Member

I just bought one of these, mainly for the other people in my family to be able to cut my sourdough successfully 😛

https://www.breadboards.co.uk/carved-breadboards/bread-knife.html

Will report back once I get it.

tthew

We use sliced bread in our house, (it appears although the OP was on this topic, I might acutally not be entirely welcome here) so no cutting issue there.

But cake! 😱 I watched my daughter do it once.

Get knife, (preferably the blunt one with the dodgy handle 🤷‍♂️ Why when the decent sharp ones are in the same block?)

Smash through in one sharp, brutal chop rendering half the remaining cake lumps and crumbs.

I blame her mother. Nice smooth sawing motion! Takes literally 2 or 3 seconds longer!

igm

What knife for…

TedC

“Moisture lock. Essential. Habitual.”

Is this a disguised “what3words” cry for help?

dyna-ti

you know someone has stolen a slice,

Is this a problem down your neck of the woods ?,burglars break in, not for your car keys, not to steal your telly, but to deprive you of the odd slice of bread.

Or are you really possessive in your family, counting out the rice crispies 😆

gauss1777
    Free Member

That is the ugliest bread knife I have ever seen. But, since it comes in a box on a bed of sycamore shavings I guess it must be especially good. Despite it looking like it would get stuck halfway down the loaf. Mind you, I’ve yet to encounter a bread knife that couldn’t cut bread.

grum
    Free Member

Mind you, I’ve yet to encounter a bread knife that couldn’t cut bread.

I feel sorry for you that you eat such crappy bread that you’ve never encountered a decent crust. 😘

gauss1777
    Free Member

I feel sorry for you that you eat such crappy bread that you’ve never encountered a decent crust. 😘

Are you sure you’ve not been using a butter knife?

grum
    Free Member

sirromj

Despite it looking like it would get stuck halfway down the loaf.

You looked but didn’t see 😉

LOL at things get nasty about slicing bread 🤣

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think I might be kayak’s wife. Whenever we have a tiger loaf I get shouted it for squashing it and apparently I’m supposed to cut it without holding it, which is just pushing a loaf of bread around the worktop with a knife.

gauss1777
    Free Member

You looked but didn’t see 😉

😂 silly me, in my defense I’ve never heard of a bread knife that requires neither a video to explain its use, nor a second knife for left handers 😉

maccruiskeen

My GF is somehow able to teleport the far-endy-bit out of the bag without disturbing any of the other slices. Especially if she suspects its a particularly thick one.

grum
    Free Member

Yes we get it gauss 1777 you’re very good at cutting bread, and can easily and perfectly cut any bread with any bread knife, and anyone that can’t is pathetic.

slowoldman

I think since the word etiquette is in the title it is worth pointing out that etiquette dictates the only possible use for sliced bread is to enclose fried goods such as bacon, sausage, egg, etc. or possibly for fried bread.

MoreCashThanDash

See also cheese, cakes, cheesecakes…..🤦‍♂️

To be fair MrsMC is disabled and only has one properly working hand. And refuses to ever ask for assistance.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Sliced bread etiquette’ is closed to new replies.