Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Slack 5 inch travel bike – 2nd hand – what should I look out for?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

I’m after a 2nd hand slackish 5 inch or there abouts full sus frame. My criteria is as follows:

– needs to be ok with 140mm travel (fox 32s)
    – lighter than my SC Nomad frame (i.e sub 30lb build)
    – fits a 30.9 seat post for uppy downy post
    – needs to be ok to take jumps – nothing massive tho

My current thoughts were a SC Blur 4X (appear to be rare as rocking horse poo), or maybe a late model Marin Attack trail?

Any other ideas for me to hunt on the classified?

james
    Free Member

Dependant on what seatpost size they take, maybe a 2007 (or earlier) commencal meta 5.5/5. ie before they steepened and raised them up for 2008

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

sub 30lb build != marin attack trail?
    whats the weight of the 150mm frames? I was going to recommend them till I read the weight you wanted.
    I’m getting a 08 marin 140 soon and will attempt to get it sub 30lb but it’ll be difficult I reckon.

mmb
    Free Member

probably be a good idea to look out for the right forum too! 😀

Ewan
    Free Member

Ah crap – mods can you move to the other forum please!

I thought the attack trail was one of the 140 ones?

Raindog
    Free Member

Second the Meta 5, mine (2007) is brilliant.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Shame your after 30.9 seatpost else I’d say the Prophet. You could always sell your current post, go for good money and buy a 27.2 KS post?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

2010 and 2011 attack trails are now 150mm and 66° HA. 2011 mount vision is now 140mm and 67.5° HA

when the attack trail was 140mm and in this spec: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/attack-trail-08-22480
    which isn’t toooo heavy it came out at 30.6lbs

Kieran

I’ll second the prophet, but agree it doesn’t meet your criteria with a 27.2 seat post.

Saying that, if your trying to build a lightweight 140mm bike then I wouldn’t think you would want an adjustable post anyway

petey_pants
    Free Member

Transition Preston if you fancy something a bit different

ahwiles
    Free Member

you should definitely think about my Cotic Hemlock,

it’s everything you asked for.

it’s for sale…

(size large)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch a used Commonfail with a barge pole to be honest.

Personally, I’d look for a Kona Dawg, and maybe overfork it by 10-20mm with a 130-140mm fork (120 is standard) I rode on in the States and really got on with it quite well. Tough as old boots and cheap as chips used. Mrs PP has a King Kikapu and the pivots seem to be indestructible as well 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i’ve got a wolf ridge. It is quite possible to get it below 30lb without spending megabucks. The weights of the complete bikes were high, but many of them came with coil Pike forks, dual-air revs will knock nearly 2lb off straight away.

andyplasterer
    Free Member

lapierre spicy mate the best 10\10 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

Saying that, if your trying to build a lightweight 140mm bike then I wouldn’t think you would want an adjustable post anyway

Really?! I’ve got one in my trail hardtail at the moment. They’re fantastic. They’re in my top mtb inovations – after disc brakes, camelbaks, and suspension that works. They really do let you go flat out and not have to stop. Perfect for trail riding.

Don’t really fancy 27.2 posts, i’d want to keep compatability with my other bike (SC Nomad), and trying to fit the up and down gubbins into a thinner tube is just a recipe for snappage if you ask me…

Commencials are out, due to snapping too often. Zesty would be an option, but the frames don’t seem to come up for sale very often.

Cheers for the advice people… will look into the transition preston.

Ewan
    Free Member

ahwiles – how old is the hemlock? How twangy is it at the back? I’d heard they were a bit flexy (possibly in what mtb / mbr, so this may well be bollocks).

Mugboo

I ride an early Hemlock and freely admit that i have no idea if its flexy or not. But built up with 36 forks its damn good fun!

I test rode the first of the new generation of Wolf Ridge (08?) and it was a revelation. In fact the slack headangle made me buy the Hemlock.

Only my sad attempt at being a little different stopped me buying another Marin!

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a marin rocky ridge at the moment, so I’ve come to terms with the beard and sandles thing!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not just put the heckler on a diet?

mybike
    Free Member

Don’t really fancy 27.2 posts, i’d want to keep compatibility with my other bike (SC Nomad), and trying to fit the up and down gubbins into a thinner tube is just a recipe for snappage if you ask me…

Or they could use thicker walls on the thinner tubes?

Best 5″ bike I found is the Orange Blood, 2012 model will have a different seat & head tube…

delusional
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-one else has reccomended the Spesh Pitch yet.

That and the Prophet seem to be the most recommended frames in this category.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d keep looking for a Blur 4X. Awesome bikes, ticks all your boxes. There was a few of them for sale recently so I’d wait. Why compromise? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-one else has reccomended the Spesh Pitch yet.

Well, I would have done, but he asked for 5in travel, not 6in…. 🙂 And I reckon it would be slightly underforked with a 140mm Fox 32….

A Pitch would wipe the floor with the rest of the suggestions here though, TBH 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

Pitch is an interesting option, but I think it’d just feel like a less good version of my Nomad. I’m keen to leave that as my big bike, and then have something a bit tauter for ragging round the singletrack. The other reason I won’t get a spesh is that I have a special hatred of them which stems from the rubbish service I got from their warranty people a few years ago (9 years and still holding the grudge!).

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for the Attack Trail / Wolf Ridge.

I had mine down to just under 30lb without too much difficulty or excessive expense.

That’s now gone out of the water somewhat now I’ve refitted the Minions/High Rollers and Mallet pedals, but they’re a cracking ride.

delusional
    Free Member

Well, I would have done, but he asked for 5in travel, not 6in…. And I reckon it would be slightly underforked with a 140mm Fox 32….

oops, I knew there was something obvious I was missing.

Pitch comes with a 140mm fork as standard though.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

PJM1974 or HoratioHufnagel – any chance of a spec for these sub 30lb builds?

Just so I know what i’m heading for.
    Cheers

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Slack 5 inch travel bike – 2nd hand – what should I look out for?’ is closed to new replies.