Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Skills Coaching required: How to avoid hitting rocks?
  • Yak

Doesn’t look like it’s all the way through. More of a general gouge. You’ll have loads of these after a few years and not care. If it fails, replace it like you would for an alu rim, but don’t worry about it until then.
    Well tidy it up as per BearBack’s suggestion, then forget about it.

dyna-ti

Tell them to update their advertising to something like this:

DT Swiss Mountain Bike Rims*

*Unsuitable for use in mountain-biking.

gingerflash

“Mm. I’d settle for two of those TBH. All I got was “light””

I would say you don’t know whether you got “strong” or not. The wheel hasn’t failed as far as I can see. If a small rock strike had caused it to cease working as a wheel, you’d have a point, but this wheel still seems operational.

onehundredthidiot

I’ve got roval carbon rims. Pretty scratched up now. Two years ago I managed to rip a spoke through the rear rim. Main issue seem to be needing to retension spokes every so often. Decided to ride it to destruction not managed yet.

VanHalen

i always consider rims a disposable item. much like tyres/pedals/grips etc. hence i’d never run a carbon rim as i’d destroy it fast

used to go through loads of rims back in teh day but new tyres and rims are better at resisting the occasional impact better.

an insert will defo help if riding somewhere rocky for piece of mind.

nickc

Main issue seem to be needing to retension spokes every so often

my Roval experience matches yours. Rear just would not stay true and tensioned. Pulled a couple of nipples over the 3 years I owned them, but it got to the point where I was have to tension the rear after every ride. Not sure it the rim is too stiff, or that 28 spokes isn’t sufficient…git bored, replaced it in the end

mert
    Free Member

TBH, i’ve got what looks like a bigger gouge than that in my trispoke from a dickhead outside a TT HQ.

If it’s just the top layer (which is what it looks like) just cut the loose bit off, sand it down a bit and add a blob of epoxy, then sand that down when it’s hardened.

stevextc
    Free Member

The warranty should cover defects in design and materials as well as manufacturing. If Carbon Fibre isn’t suitable for making all mountain wheels ( as many people above seem to be saying) then they shouldn’t sell them. Rock strikes are an integral part of off road biking.

But strictly speaking you got home and didn’t explode…
    It’s pretty simple in that carbon fibre is less hard than most rocks .. if you are a sponsored rider, it gets you down/home (EWS you hope through the series) and sponsor gives you a new wheel.

As for car comparison… concrete bollards are part and parcel of roads… if you reversed into one then you hope you can get home OK.. but the bumper might be cosmetically damaged or even need replacing…

I do completely the marketing is misleading… as opposed to the warranty as reading a 16 page T&C in 6pt grey on a grey background when buying some wheels (or whatever) is obviously trying to slip it under the radar.

SC did the whole carbon frame video the the sledge hammer… I’d like to see them do the same with a gentle tap with a ice pick for example…

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.