Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Site Update
  • Mark

We are currently in the middle of rolling out a software update across the site. There’s always a few bugs to iron out when this happens so bare with us if things glitch.

This update brings in some back admin changes and site optimisations but front end all stories we publish will have a forum topic created for the comments. These will have a ‘news’ icon in the main forum overview.

I’ll keep you updated.

Mat

Disappointed, I thought the little ‘M’ (rather than chat or bike) referred to Mark rather than members forum…

abingham

There’s always a few bugs to iron out when this happens so bare with us if things glitch.

WHAT?! I work in IT and there are never, EVER any glitches and everything works perfectly first time!

Who am I kidding? Keep on keeping on @mark!

JohnnyPanic

Will the updates include a spell and context checker?

DezB
    Free Member

Mark

Spelling author’s own.

Mark

The database is currently being rebuilt and this is creating a strain on the server. That means the site may be running a bit slow until that process has finished.

the-muffin-man

2009 already!!? My, doesn’t time fly! :-)

akira

What? A second hamster!

DezB
    Free Member

Is it me, or are old PMs coming up as new? I’m guessing it’s something to do with this change, as I can’t actually see a new message (I don’t think)

scotroutes

You got PMs?

matt_outandabout

Does the wallpaper change?

mechanicaldope

Love the article links in the forum. Think I have read more articles today than ever before.

kayak23

I like how when you swoosh the page up and down the photo background in the box at the top stays still but the box moves.
    😊👍

somafunk

I thought you must be up to something as the forum page has been playing up recently on iPad Pro whilst in landscape mode, sorted now but I keep getting “this page is using excessive memory blah….blah” messages on my 2020 iMac 27″ with 32gb ram

Mark

The forum story comments are not playing very well with dark mode right now but Tom is fixing that in the morning

jekkyl

I enjoy the new sign in every time you visit the site feature, and you’re a paid in member. 👍

Rubber_Buccaneer

The forum story comments are not playing very well with dark mode right now but Tom is fixing that in the morning

I love the test it in live attitude, so not what I used to have to deal with 😀

Mark

We don’t test with live. We have two dev environments plus a server based testbed. But when dealing with a site with over 11 million posts in its database that changes by the minute it’s not always possible to maintain a true and perfect sync on everything. So some glitches get through to live. This is especially the case when dealing with multiple browsers that are updated often.

But I’ll keep you guys updated on everything we are doing despite the sideways digs at our incompetence ;-)

Mark

If you are interested, there’s a new forum just for the news stories from the front page here https://singletrackworld.com/news-forum/

When it’s got maybe a full page’s worth of stories in it we’ll add it into the menu.

Rubber_Buccaneer

there’s a new forum just for the news stories from the front page

@Mark
    just out of interest, will my view of that forum be filtered according to my channel preferences like the front page is?  Not a bad thing if it isn’t, I sometimes miss things I’m interested in because they fall under a channel I’m mostly not interested in

Mark

That will list all stories…. eventually.
    Because the channels are technically on other sub sites they won’t automatically be included. However, we have begun a process of migration of the channels into the main site, starting with the Tech channel. So as of now it’s Singletrack and Tech stories that will appear there. Gritcx and Charged will follow soon.

pictonroad

Is this related to the forum flicking back up to the top of the page every time you press back on an iPhone?

Been happening since the weekend -ish…

Ta,

James

igm

What? A second hamster!

No, but the hamster wheel has been upgraded from 26”

Murray

Thanks for the work and explanations Mark

DezB
    Free Member

If anyone’s reading this, in the STW offices, like. The PM system is currently borked. I’m showing 3 new messages. I know have 1, but it won’t open, just a circle thing goes round on the sender’s name. Must be awful for anyone trying to sell on the classifieds at the mo.

I would report it on the fault page, but I’ve reported an issue on ipad with the overview page a couple of times and nothings happened, so I’m dubious that that is going anywhere.

rOcKeTdOg

Have you Tried PMing them?

thepurist

“Notify me of follow up replies via email” – when did that appear? Are we back to the good old days of “ticking the box” posts?

Mark

Give it a try

thepurist

Already had, and it works :)

DickBarton

Can you undo it?

Mark

Do you mean can you unsubscribe? Or can we turn it off?

DezB
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

Have you Tried PMing them?

I have now. The red “1” is doing my head in :D

DickBarton

The old version had a bug that meant you couldn’t switch the alerts off, this appears to have an option on first post to unsubscribe, so might have fixed that ‘feature’, which is good.

Mark

You can also go into your profile and turn off individual topics under ‘Forums’ > ‘subscriptions’.

DickBarton

Nice! Thanks for this…working much better than last one, great stuff.

tillydog
    Free Member

Any comment on this?

Is this related to the forum flicking back up to the top of the page every time you press back on an iPhone?

Been happening since the weekend -ish…

Happening for me too.

DezB
    Free Member

Site updates ongoing I take it?

I’ve still got unread messages (I haven’t). Getting on my tits
    “Subscribe” showing for subscribers
    No page numbers at the bottom (or top) of page 1 of the forum page

Display layout is fixed on ipad! Yay

DezB
    Free Member

Just had a thought that the “Subscribe” probably means Subscribe to the thread? Then there’s one at the top of the forum page, so I clicked on it to see what happened – it just changed to “Unsubscribe” and and.. the missing page numbers appeared! :D

Mark

The topic subscription feature has been causing some high load spikes on our server and so while we investigate what needs to be fixed we’ve had to deactivate it. We hope to have it back very soon but I’ll keep you updated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Site Update’ is closed to new replies.