Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Singlespeed frame for less than £500
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

It’s time for a new singlespeed frame. The ideas I’ve come up with are:
    On-one Inbred
    Dialled Bikes Love/Hate
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Cotic Simple

Any other ideas?

Cheers
    Dave

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Genesis IO

djglover
    Free Member

Whyte 19, very nice frame

salad_dodger

Sanderson Soloist

rowley
    Free Member

Singular?

theotherjonv

I like the look of the Singular in the latest magazine. But i had a question about it:

It says it can run a 29 front with rigid fork but the frame is also designed to run a normal 26 wheel with a sus fork.

What’s different then to running a rigid 29’er fork and wheel on the front of any standard 26’er hardtail to get the same effect?

Only thing I can think of is the toptube length and does it make issues with overlap, etc. But as most bikes now tend more towards the long TT / short stem is that really going to be an issue.?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

OS Bikes BlackBuck frame and forks. Amazing handling, the best EBB system I have used and looks the dogs too! Only down side is one size only (29er 18″ frame and 24″ ETT)

$500USD plus $60 for the rigid forks. Email Mark for more info.

The best off the peg frame I have ever had…and I have had a few! Pics HERE

SSP

Dibbs
    Free Member

Whyte 19, very nice frame

but more than £500, (and worth every penny IMHO).

clunker

Wait or the next batch of Cotic Simples

Daveb575
    Free Member

Voodoo Wanga

Daffy

Orange P7one

Daffy

Any normal frame and use a white industries eno rear hub?

Anthony
    Free Member

By the time you have bought the hub, built the wheel and bought the disc adapter it doesn’t leave you much for the frame!

Sam

It says it can run a 29 front with rigid fork but the frame is also designed to run a normal 26 wheel with a sus fork.

What’s different then to running a rigid 29’er fork and wheel on the front of any standard 26’er hardtail to get the same effect?

Only thing I can think of is the toptube length and does it make issues with overlap, etc. But as most bikes now tend more towards the long TT / short stem is that really going to be an issue.?

A rigid 29er fork will be far too long. The supplied rigid fork will be 445mm axle to crown, the same length as many rigid forks designed for 26″ wheel 100mm suspension corrected frames. Yes, you can just put any ~445mm fork on a ‘regular’ 26″ wheeled frame, throw a 29″ front wheel in there and ride it. IME this results in fairly sluggish steering for most common head angles. The Hummingbird fork has a lot (55mm) of offset/rake to keep the steering sharp (and also keep the front wheel out of the way of your toes).

Plus it’s painted the same colour as the frame so it looks nice.

Sam

Shack
    Free Member

Value for money wise you cant fault the inbred though I might now be tempted to wait till the SS Scandal materialises.

IWH
    Free Member

Go for the Singular Swift. Lovely, lovely bike.

avdave2

Thorn still have some 853 Enduro frames left at £299. Option of fitting a Rohloff later if your knees give up but you still want low maintenance

theotherjonv

Cheers Sam for that explanation.

Now I really want to try this but in doing so I’d have to get shot of my SS Tinbred, which is probably a bridge too far…..

specializedneeds

Why o why do people always suggest the Eno rear hub route even when it clearly doesn’t keep to the budget! 😀

Excentriker or this may be more in budget. Never used one so can’t comment but be interested if anyone has?

zaskar
    Free Member

Well for me I just used an old frame lying in the shed!

Onone, Genesis and Surly do some nice Singhle Speed frames

Daffy

You’re gonna have to buy some wheels anyway!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Specializedneeds – I got as far as actually paying the guy in the States for the forward components one – but it never turned up. Loads of delays with his suppliers, and he had me going round the houses a lot, which made me a bit suspicious. It looks the bees knees – if anything, nicer than the Excentriker, and the feature where you can perhaps more easily adjust it with the chain on than the Excentriker was quite appealing too.

I’m now waiting for John Atkins Cycles to come back to me about the Excentriker – I think they may have some stock coming. I think both options are great, but the prices seem to have shot up recently. When I ordered the Forward one before xmas, it was well under £100, so in conjunction with even a decent vertical dropout frame, it looked like a brilliant solution.

I’d love to hear feedback on either technology from anyone, and if / when something turns up here, I’ll let the whole sodding world know if it works!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

carver 96er, under your budget, plus another 15% off………

Clink

my vassago jabberwocky which is up for sale…

andygreener

I have a 17″ voodoo wanga full build for sale. 2 months old. Pristine condition. Looking for £550 posted.

sillyoldman

If you’re still looking – I’ve got a Simple (med Black, White panel graphics) with an XLII h/set and white U-turn Revelations for sale – open to offers? Also have some white 5.1 rims to go with it….

Very little use….

MrSparkle

Voodoo Wanga here, too. Mine’s not for sale though…

New (Mk2) Love/Hates won’t be in stock until June.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i’m gonna be selling an endorfin speed r.

technically for the rohloff, (rohloff dropout) but there sliding, so perfect ss too…

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

kona unit

JxL
    Free Member

this thread lacks pictures! 🙂

binners

Got to be a Voodoo Wanga. Great frame. I love mine even more than the Chameleon it replaced.

And when you come to your senses, you can put put gears on it 🙂

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Cotic Simples are the best ss frames, so much fun. I love mine!

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

yep wot mansonsoul said!

AdamT

I have a surly 1×1 and love it. “rides like a bike” as they say in their literature.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

sillyoldman – Member

If you’re still looking – I’ve got a Simple (med Black, White panel graphics) with an XLII h/set and white U-turn Revelations for sale – open to offers?

If the OP isn’t interested, could you email with info please? (details in profile) – couldn’t find another way to contact you!

cheers

Andy-R

Here’s some Forward Components and Excentriker info and opinions – the Excentriker opinions are mine and in my experience it works well with no major problems. That’s about it really….

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed frame for less than £500’ is closed to new replies.