Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Single/double/triple…. Pros and cons of each.
  • adsh
    Free Member

I use 1×10 to race with (30t) and 3×10 to train with. 3×10 helps keep in the correct power zone.

The weight saving of 1×10 doesn’t make much odds, the quietness,reliability and simplicity does when racing. Those 3 things are less important for training when the ability to have the right gear for the right situation is more useful.

I don’t like 2×10 as neither chain ring is right for me.

whitestone
    Free Member

@martinhutch

Mastiles Lane from Kilnsey and Barden Moor from Rylstone are probably the two I struggle with but then even with a granny ring I’ve never cleaned the latter – there’s that bit just after the gate, I just run out of oomph 😳 The climb over from Arncliff to Kettlewell is so steep I doubt I’d do it even with a granny ring. In fact I doubt I’d clean any of those climbs over that ridge no matter what the gearing.

Climbs I’m most likely to fail on are usually those with a loose surface and I’ll just get the wrong line.

DezB
    Free Member

“jekkyl
    Triple:
    …………………
    cons:
    . isn’t fashionable”

Damn, nicked my post!

triple – rolled up sleeves on a flecked linen jacket
    double – long ginger beard and undercut
    single – top bun

z1ppy

Renton just ride more and save for some light but strong wheels instead, they’ll make more difference to the feel of the bike

RustyMac

Renton,

What is on the bike at the moment, 9 or 10 speed?

If you are running 10 speed it is easy to go 1×10. However as others have said if you ride the trails you normally do and see how often you change up or down you give yourself a good idea if this is going to suit your riding and or allow you a best guess for what front chain ring will work for you.

The kit and tools you will need to go 1×10 are a new front chain ring, short chain ring bolts and a chain tool.

Remove, the front shifter, front mech and all three chain rings, put new front chain ring on where the middle ring used to be and shorten the chain accordingly.

br
    Free Member

Br can you convert a triple into a single ring setup then.

What nw would you recommend?

Yes, just put a N/W onto the current middle ring position and buy an expander (either Shimano or SRAM depending on your cassette).

tbh though, wait until your drivetrain is knackered and then buy:

Hope 30T N/W
    Hope 40T expander
    Shimano XT 10-spd 11-36 cassette
    Chain
    Jockey Wheels
    Narrow chainring bolts

Or, as I will be doing soon; a complete Shimano XT 11 speed setup, minus the cranks.

petersnell
    Free Member

Suppose there’s weight saved Steve but didn’t really notice it! Thought I’d try it to simplify the bike really, one shifter and a dropper post remote is all I need to worry about now. To be fair I live in Essex now so pretty flat really, no massive hill’s so it suits me, could have went for a 32t which I might try later.
    I was going to try a double chain set but looking at the orange Web site they reckon the bike isn’t suitable for it and to use a triple and bash ring. Didn’t seem to make sense to go this route.

petersnell
    Free Member

Oh yeah, didn’t need to buy new chain ring bolts with the hope 30t as the raceface ones fit fine.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is freewheeling on a road descent a huge compromise?

Yes, when my tea’s at home waiting for me. 😉

martinhutch

Mastiles Lane from Kilnsey and Barden Moor from Rylstone are probably the two I struggle with but then even with a granny ring I’ve never cleaned the latter – there’s that bit just after the gate, I just run out of oomph

I’ve only ever cleaned the Rylstone climb in my easiest gear on granny ring. Dab fairly often on the last bit. But the fact that I have done it means I’d be forever irritated to not even have a shot at it.

The climb over from Arncliff to Kettlewell is so steep I doubt I’d do it even with a granny ring. In

Ditto to that! Virtually everything at that end of Wharfedale is pushing territory for me.

Alex

NickC is right that some FS bikes are optimised for a single ring. Having two bikes running 1×10 (with a 40T), I found going back to a front mech on my 29er really strange. And it didn’t seem to have the super low gear I was expecting. Once that drivetrain wears out, I’ll go to 1×11. Even in the Malverns 1×10 (32T/40T) on my Aeris is fine. Gets a bit tiring at the end of the day, but I prefer the simplicity / clearance / etc of a single ring.

The advice offered is good tho; ride in the middle ring, see if you miss the other ones. Zee cranks are pretty heavy, not sure you’d save much if you went that way!

renton
    Free Member

Okay so there are some things to take away and think about here then.

I find that I use the granny ring a fair bit around here as there are so steep bits that I just havent got the legs for!

I dont think Ive ever used the big ring either.

One thing for certain is that I need two bolts for my granny ring as Ive just found its only held on by tow out of four??

Ive snapped the clutch engagement lever off my rear mech as well !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

Is freewheeling on a road descent a huge compromise?

Yes, when my tea’s at home waiting for me.[/quote]
    Learn to tuck….

I stupidly went out for a ride with some mates on a 2×9 mtb with them on roadies on the road, up and down I had no issues, tucked I was with one of them all the way down the hills. It was the flat that was the issue. But then again I don’t do very much on the road on the MTB normally.

This shows where the differences are

In reality the SRAM is the 2x killer due to the 10t, the Shimano will always be less range (unless you get the 45t)

engaging a climbing gear has gone from:

‘click’

to:

‘click-click-click-releaseshifter-click-click-click-releaseshifter-click’

From 1 to 11 faster than you can say Spinal Tap

whitestone
    Free Member

@martinhutch

The last time I did the Rylstone climb was at the end of the YD300 when you spotted me on the other side – I think having 280Km in the legs is a decent excuse 😀

I very nearly got the bridleway out of the car park at Buckden without dabbing last Saturday and that was with the bike loaded up for bikepacking plus a bit of damp under the trees after the Friday rain. It’s probably the easiest climb out of Wharfedale – well worth a try.

Just thought of another that I’ve not cleaned: the BW up out of Stainforth. Another steep one with a loose surface.

6079smithw
    Free Member

#TRIPLE4LYF

#PreferablyBiopace

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The advantages of a single chainring are also that you don’t have to make front gear changes which are the ones that people mess up as they are reluctant to back off the power while it shifts thus damaging chains , chainrings , frames etc . You also get better clearance , no wondering what front ring to be in , you just put it in the gear you need . Lighter as well . Disadvantage is a smaller ratio of gears although 420% works for plenty of people .

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Single/double/triple…. Pros and cons of each.’ is closed to new replies.