Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Singlecatflapworld
  • teethgrinder

The wife is thinking of getting a kitten, which I am not opposed to. However, both front and back doors are glass. Top to bottom.

Has anyone successfully put a cat flap into a glass door?

Markie
    Free Member

I have successfully had to buy a new double-glazed panel with pre-installed cat-flap after unsuccessfully trying to fit a cat-flap into a double-glazed panel, if that helps?

samuri
    Free Member

This seems a bit worrying. Cats live outside. They come in when it’s time for the vet and you need to capture them. The rest of the time there’s no need for a cat flap. It’s not like they’re a dog.

The exception I guess is when they’re really young and then you’ll just keep a litter tray in the kitchen so they can stare at you when they’re having a shit which always goes over the side.

john_drummer
    Free Member

It’s not like they’re a dog.

why does a dog need a catflap?

samuri
    Free Member

Dogs live inside. They protect you, clean the floor, they’ll gladly offer their life up instead of yours, they love you and honour you. This attitude earns them the right to live indoors.

Animals that would eat you if you died, live outside.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Animals that would eat you if you died, live outside.

except for the spiders

mrmo
    Free Member

If you have a standard upvc double glazed door, ie frame with panel inserted, and possibly a cross piece through the middle. It is piss easy to get sorted. get a fitter to have a look measure it up order bit of glass with flap installed. then pop the seals off the existing door, push out the existing glass, apply abit of double sided tap, stick the new glass unit in, replace the seals.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This seems a bit worrying.

Scandalous if you ask me.

rootes1

as for a flap – one of the Catmate Elite range new ones read a microchip as well as the std rfid collar tag

http://www.catflaps.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d162.html

suitable for all doors inc glazed units from 0-4″ thick

dependant on glass you may have to get a new panel with a precut hole..

only flap so far to defeat all potential foreign cat invaders…. inc flaps that supposidly keep all other cats out apart from your own- don’t bother with staywell infrared or magnetic systems – rubbish… been there done those..

ps if your missus is after a cat, then remember Cats Protection et al will have all sorts of lovely moggies looking for a home…

tonyg2003

Hi, we have a SureFlap which works brilliantly of a microchip.

jamj1974

This seems a bit worrying. Cats live outside. They come in when it’s time for the vet and you need to capture them. The rest of the time there’s no need for a cat flap. It’s not like they’re a dog.

Our cat loves outside but loves inside too. He wouldn’t eat us if we were dead, because he likes his food surrounded by jelly or gravy. When the children were babies, he wouldn’t let visitors near them – Guard Cat (TM). We don’t use a cat flap because he likes the door open – all cats and dogs love an open back door.

Smudger666

As Mrmo says – if it’s a standard PVC one with panels, its straightforward to do – diy’d mine. Local window factory easy to deal with, took 3 hours of carefull faffery.

Inbred456
    Free Member

This is normally a precursor to having children! Male cats even when neutered will fight and spray all over the house. Male cats are usually more affectionate than female cats. Both male and female cats will destroy the house in a matter of months. Our male cat died last year still miss him but after 14yrs of spraying and shredding the sofa’s I would never get another one. That’s not to mention the once a month trip to the vets to get him stitched up and antibiotic jabs. Our female cat is 13, she has spent the last 12 yrs bringing in dead and alive birds, rats, mice, voles and coy carp! She is a one cat urban wildlife killing machine. For this reason mainly I would never get a cat again. I’ll miss her when she goes though. You have been warned! As for cat flaps if I had my time again I would build a cat shed in the garden and let the cat in and out in the morning or in the evening. If it rains or its cold they could stay in the shed till I let them in. Cats are wildish animals and are tough as hell.

molgrips
    Free Member

We never had a scratch on the sofa from our cat, and he never sprayed inside. Also only brought a handful of animals into the garden and only when we had guests. He liked to do his bit to help. Also great with the kids too. Not all cats are evil.

Also we never had a flap. He went out at night, came in in the morning

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve never experienced any problems with unneutered males spraying or fighting or destroying furniture. Cats hunting has barely been a problem, and never a problem beyond a very young age.

Not all cats are the same shocker.

jamj1974

This is normally a precursor to having children! Male cats even when neutered will fight and spray all over the house

Not in my experience – otherwise I would have a rather attractively coloured pair of slippers…

Both male and female cats will destroy the house in a matter of months.

Maybe luckily – not us again.

pictonroad

Inbred, it goes to show how one persons experience sways their opinion. I think growing up we got through about 6 male cats, I’ve since had another 4 and never once had a neutered male spray anywhere in the house.

Never herard of any friends cats doing it either. Sofa shredding is slightly more random though…

footflaps

Re the original question, I replaced the lower double glazed panel with a sheet of 8mm Polycarbonate and fitted the cat flap in that:

Cat steps by brf, on Flickr

Our two cats, brothers, play fight a bit in the house but the main damage is just using carpets as scratching posts.

Cougar

I replaced the lower double glazed panel with a sheet of 8mm Polycarbonate and fitted the cat flap in that:

I think the staircase was going a bit far though.

molgrips
    Free Member

On the subject of spraying, a month or two ago a 6 year old fence post rotted through, so I dug it out and took it down the tip – it stank of cat pee. It was where he’d been spraying, and almost two years after we gave him away the pee claimed the post 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

PS we have a new unused catflap and tunnel in our garage that needs to go. We bought the tunnel because we were considering installing it in the wall.

stufive
    Free Member

“all cats and dogs love an open back door” waiting for the punchline

STATO
    Free Member

As for cat flaps if I had my time again I would build a cat shed in the garden and let the cat in and out in the morning or in the evening. If it rains or its cold they could stay in the shed till I let them in. Cats are wildish animals and are tough as hell.

Used to have a cat that went out every night, irrespective of weather. If it was snowing it used to complain a bit and then sit outside staring at you, clearly plotting its revenge, but it soon got bored and went off to find shelter and have a nose around the street. It would always act happy in the morning when you let it back in to feed, and then proceed to sleep all day until it got chucked out again. Great cat.

samuri
    Free Member

He wouldn’t eat us if we were dead, because he likes his food surrounded by jelly or gravy

Give it a week or so after you’ve died, you’ll be surrounded by jelly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Cats like their food freshly killed, well at least not putrid – their digestive system is unlikely to cope very well with decomposing meat. Dogs on the other had are much more likely to be carrion feeders, and burying food for later consumption is natural to the species.

If you lead such a lonely life that your deceased body is likely to remained undetected for several weeks, then I suspect that you are more likely to eaten by dogs than by cats.

footflaps

I think the staircase was going a bit far though.

When they were kittens, they weren’t tall enough for the RFID tag in their shoulders to come into range of the catflap, hence the steps were needed so they could get in…

jamj1974

samuri – Member
    He wouldn’t eat us if we were dead, because he likes his food surrounded by jelly or gravy

Give it a week or so after you’ve died, you’ll be surrounded by jelly.

:mrgreen:

stufive – Member
    “all cats and dogs love an open back door” waiting for the punchline

I meant – they like to come and go as they please!

😯

jamj1974

He also loves poppadoms!

teethgrinder

Never thought a cat flap thread would get this far!

Had cats all whilst I was growing up, and for a bit with the wife until our house burned down. Shep and Sheeba then went to live with my parents.

The front and back doors are comprised of an Al frame and 1 massive single-glazes glass panel each. I was thinking along the lines of cutting a strip off along the bottom and replacing with polycarbonate with a hole for the flap.

Or it could live in the garage.

footflaps

1 massive single-glazes glass panel each

You can just cut out an opening in a single glazed panel. It’s double glazed ones which are tricky as you need to fill the void with dry air and re-seal to stop condensation.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Both our cats were rescue ones, we obviously got the local nut jobs. Oh well good luck then. Still think they are a pre-curser to kids though.

teethgrinder

Got 2 kids. They can just use the door handles like me and the wife.

jamj1974

Got 2 kids. They can just use the door handles like me and the wife.

Nice to see that some people have success in house training their children… Mine still scratch at the door when they need a wee and cry to be let in.

oldnick

Good luck cutting door glass (whether single or DG), it should be toughened and will either shatter straight away or soon after.

Is there not a bit of wall you could put the flap and tunnel through?

footflaps

This guys seems to do it for a living: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILrh12ix2c&feature=youtu.be

oldnick

I said it should be toughened…

rootes1

Good luck cutting door glass (whether single or DG), it should be toughened and will either shatter straight away or soon after.

Is there not a bit of wall you could put the flap and tunnel through?

You get a new piece of glass cut inc hole then it is toughened….

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Singlecatflapworld’ is closed to new replies.