Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • single speed……1 1/8th or 3/32 ???
  • earlanderson
    Free Member

Hi
    As title says, I’m currently running 1 1/8th for strength on a SS 29er. But is 3/32 strong enough. What’s your experience ? I’m assuming 3/32 will be lighter?

Cheers

cardiac
    Free Member

I have 3/32 chainring and cog. So can use either size chain however choose 3/32 as its cheaper from my lbs. Never snapped a chain and I seem to need to replace them very often with the sand and grit.

benji
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems using 3/32 on my singlespeeds. Good quality KMC chain seems to work well, no more than a tenner, and it’s supposedly single speed specific.

earlanderson
    Free Member

Currently run full 1 1/8th set up on the SS. Did snap a couple of chains on my geared rig hence why I went 1 1/8. Looking at changing gearing and chain due for change so was wondering whether to go 3/32 as bits easier to come by and bit cheaper and lighter.

benji
    Free Member

I may be wrong, or have a limited sample, but all the snapped chains on geared bikes happen whilst changing gear, and usually whilst going uphill, so chain under loads of force, and then being twisted across sprockets.

Duffer
    Free Member

I may be wrong, or have a limited sample, but all the snapped chains on geared bikes happen whilst changing gear, and usually whilst going uphill, so chain under loads of force, and then being twisted across sprockets.

That’s my experience too. I’ve never managed to snap a chain under linear load.

Some interesting thoughts on this issue can be found on the Surly website. They seem to suggest that 3/32 is a bit of a waste of money:

Run whatever you want, but bigger isn’t better here. Yeah, they’re wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they’re not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32″ chains.

Sauce.

earlanderson
    Free Member

Just read it….. it does offer some interesting points.

fourbanger
    Free Member

More meat on a 1/8″ sprocket though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘single speed……1 1/8th or 3/32 ???’ is closed to new replies.