Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Single speed – use QR or new axles required?
  • blanklook

I am starting to build up a SS frame. I have a QR Hope pro hubbed rear wheel handy that I thought I would use (with spacers). The frame has sliding drop outs and have heard better not to use QR. If that is the case do I need to get longer axle and use nuts? Is that an easy conversion on the Hope hub? Help appreciated.

wwaswas

QR will be fine. if you have sliding dropouts the actual axle will be held firmly by the dropouts.- all the QR is to do is to stop the wheel falling out if it comes off the ground.

blanklook

Thanks www. I thought though there was danger of the wheel slipping forward in the dropouts (loosening chain). If not, great – makes things simpler.

Aidan
    Free Member

I would only do it with a good (e.g. Shimano) QR skewer.

I’ve torn the wheel out of the dropouts a few times with QR rear. They need to be VERY tight. The Mavic skewer had to be so tight I thought I was going to break it, but that was just after tearing a wheel out so there was no doubt that I needed more tension.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wheel slipping forward in the dropouts

not with sliding dropouts.

do you mean something else?

wwaswas

do your dropouts look like this?

or this;

the first is a slidign dropout.

if you have the latter get a chaintug (DMR, etc) on the drive side and you can still use a QR.

[edit] google images to the rescue 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

LOL!

blanklook

Yes I have second picture (track ends??) – terminology wrong. What frame is the first pic?

epicyclo

Track ends – I’ve done a 24 hour solo ‘Puffer with QRs and a chaintug (a skinny cheap one fitted to the inside of the dropout).

It didn’t move.

wwaswas

get a dmr or on-one chain tug (or surly if you’re felling posh) and you’ll be fine with a QR.

I did have to file my dmr chaintug down a bit to use with my carbon456 as there isn’t much clearance around the dropouts but it keeps the hub in place which is the main thing.

smoggy
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread hijack!!! Can you use a QR with a SS conversion kit with “normal” vertical dropouts?

cheers!

🙂

wwaswas

yes.

velocipede
    Free Member

I’ve had a few nightmares with QR’s on track ends – if I were you, I’d get a solid nutted rear axle to be sure. 😀

blanklook

Seems like the jury’s out! Not sure if Hope do a solid axle version (they do bolt in which I gues would do…) but am thinking worst case will gice chain tug a go. Now I understand that the single cog will damage the (alu) freehub on the Hope – replacement steel one is £60 – aargh!! May gave to start another thread on cheap SS rear wheel build…
    Thanks for comments.

wwaswas

get an groove armada cog from on-one – very wide at the base – I’ve had no issues on my Hope hub.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You can get allen head qr’s that would fit a hope hub.

but really a chain tug/ tensioner would stop the hub moving.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You can get allen head qr’s that would fit a hope hub.

but really a chain tug/ tensioner would stop the hub moving.

blanklook

www – that is a great shout – did not know they existed – will give that a go.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Single speed – use QR or new axles required?’ is closed to new replies.