Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Side loading of shocks – any solutions?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hey,

I’ve got an Orbea Rise which has a suspension yoke. This puts a high amount of side loading on the top eyelet bush. I’ve gone through my first one for this shock in less than 100k.

I’m on a Rockshox Superdeluxe Coil, polymer eyelet bushes and steel pins.

Does anyone have any solutions for it? I don’t think spherical bearings will be small enough to fit, but wonder if there’s some different kind of bushing spacer you could fit?

Cheers!

goodgrief
    Free Member
    alan1977
    Free Member
    rickon
    Free Member

Cheers – Offset bushings just do the pin hole offset, which allows you to adjust the gemoetry of the bike by a degree or so. Doesnt help with the sideloading issue.

The other link from dhsignit sounds perfect, although I want to see some cut-through photos of the detail. On the face of it, they look like a normal DU bush and pin!

goodgrief
    Free Member

Check out some of Paul Aston’s videos, thet work very much like spherical bearings

moimoifan
    Free Member

I was going to post something flippant about chunkiness of linkages, newness of bearings and suspension layout vs inevitably.

Turns out it was a specific question about a design and there is some interesting stuff out there from people who actually know this stuff.

Suitably chastened, I’m going to have a look at some of the background stuff on this for myself. 🙂

andyrm
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the DHSign FixShock. If I remember correctly, there’s a video showing an Orbea with one and the difference it makes.

When I built my Marino FS last year, I hand reamed the DHX2 to 16mm to take a spherical bearing as I expected a long, slack steel frame to have some flex and sideloading – it’s noticeable how much more active the bike feels in fast corners compared to the Stumpy Evo it replaced, and I’ve had no shock leaks either.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get a shock that you can fit spherical bearings in, ohlins Ttx here, works great.

b33k34

As a Rise owner I have questions….

I’ve gone through my first one for this shock in less than 100k.

do you really mean 100km? That’s such a short life I can’t believe there isn’t some other issue here. I’m running the stock Fox shock but I’d done c2000km when I had the shock serviced and the bushings were still fine.

How is it with a coil shock (I didn’t think there was sufficient clearance to run one)

multi21
    Free Member

goodgrief
    Free Member

https://dhsign.it/en/14-fixshox

Great idea, any idea what the lifespan is like?

alan1977
    Free Member

My point with offsetbushings was they are metal, and none offset are available

phil5556

Have you checked your linkage isn’t loose?

The rise has a habit of the arms coming loose from the pivot shaft. Mine did it and there’s loads of play when it’s loose, with it tight the back is still flexy and a bit of movement but nowhere near as bad.

The fix is to loctite the arms on, which will then need heat to disassemble.

bri-72

Phil I saw your other post and pics but still struggle to visualise what part you’re referring and loctited, and where the ‘play’ is.

Any chance of pics or more explanation.

I’ve got a lot of play in my Rise but not really been bold enough to take apart and diagnose it.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Just seen a video of those fixshox mounts going through misalignment test, quite impressive, why have I never heard of these before, seems like a genius product but I’d like to see more info and reviews on this.

phil5556

@bri-72 the play is in these arms. They let go of the splines on the shaft.

The first time I took it apart I undid the yoke and seat stays from the linkage and one of the arms just pulled straight off. I tightened it back up without loctite and it was improved straight away, it lasted for a few big rides before any play came back. The next time I took it apart the arms couldn’t be pulled off but there was a bit of movement. This time I’ve done it properly, cleaned it all up and added Loctite 638 to the splines. I haven’t actually ridden it yet to check though.

Before I started I emailed the shop I bought it from to make them aware so it didn’t affect warranty etc.

I also did my wife’s, hers wasn’t as bad but she’s a lot lighter and generally not as harsh to bikes as me.

Lots of people complain of a creak but I didn’t notice any noise, what I did notice was the amount of movement between shock and yoke when you grab the back wheel and move it side to side.

bri-72

Thanks will read and have a proper look at mine.

bigfoot
    Free Member

that setup is the same as my rallon, orbea actually state in the manual to put loctite(think it’s the 638) on the splines, would have thought they would say the same for the rise as it looks the same setup.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.