Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • richmtb

What is it with tabloids and doom laden weather forecasts?

The actual met office long range forecast is rather less apocalyptic

Monday 15 Nov – Wednesday 24 Nov
    Remaining changeable and autumnal particularly to the north through the start of this period as low-pressure systems dominate, sometimes accompanied by rain and strong winds. Elsewhere while rain is possible at times, drier and brighter conditions are more likely in the south and southeast regions, although some rain will likely reach even here at times. Morning fog patches are also possible in these regions during this period. A rather cold start to the period will likely be followed by a brief recovery in temperatures, before possible trend down later on in the month. This would bring an increasing chance of some wintry conditions, mainly over the higher ground in the north, but with a slight risk to lower levels.

hels
    Free Member

I think it is just click bait. I must have looked at something on FB, I now get a weekly prediction from the Mail or somewhere of epic snowmaggedon coming soon – we can tell you the exact dates!!

Never confirmed by the weather forecast or weather.

scruff9252

I find the whole tabloid thing quite amusing and I’m pretty sure you can time you calendar with it – Ooh look, its the first week of November – time for “PLUNGING TEMPRATURES INCOMING!!!!!! OMG!!!” headline. It’s the start of winter – of course it’s cooling down ffs.

Oh look, it’s mid November, MWIS / Met office is forecasting chance of wintery conditions on munro tops so it’s a “BRITAIN BRACES FOR SNOWMAGEDON OMG!!!!!” headline.

Who in the name of baby James Brown believes any of that claptrap?

richmtb

UK weather nonsense forecast:
    Up to 10 column inches of tabloid weather NONSENSE set to hit much of Britain next week. Worst forecasting standards for SIXTY YEARS. UK set to endure ONE HUNDRED DAY of utter drivel about SNOW!!!. POLAR VORTEX of utter horse manure about the cold set to continue as ICY BLAST from the EAST!. CLICK HERE for EXACT DATE.

It no doubt serves a narrative. You just need to look at all the “So much for Global Warming” comments below these nonsense forecasts

fasthaggis

Shame on you Matt for posting that tabloid mince.
    You should now be forced to walk around your office car park in your underpants,every lunchtime,for the whole of December. 😉 🤣
    Local forecast

scotroutes

A bit more coverage than we’ve had recently, and feeling cold enough that it won’t instantly disappear.

willard

I was forced to stop splitting wood yesterday by a small flurry of snow. Nay! A light dusting. Ok, about a cm.

The weather in the City is sunny and warm-ish, so my commute was actually pleasant, but I am not super-looking forward to the cycle home,

matt_outandabout

You should now be forced to walk around your office car park in your underpants,every lunchtime,for the whole of December.

If you have seen one of the runners from the office across the way, he’s not far off that already…

Ground was frozen up on Trossachs hills yesterday – it does feel like the freezing level has finally dropped below summits.

matt_outandabout

^private account fail there @howsyourdad1

wwaswas

Have we done the snow gate cams?

Snow gate webcams page

swavis

Looking out the window at work just now at the wet snow falling, Craigellachie, Speyside

Splitboard action soon hopefully 🤞😊

honeybadgerx

Thinking I’ll have to dust off the touring skis for a service. Not sure we’ll get as much in the Pentlands as last year though!

scotroutes

Looking out the window at work just now at the wet snow falling, Craigellachie, Speyside

As you might imagine, it’s a similar picture here in Aviemore this morning. I’m hoping to take the Fatbike out later if this keeps up.

swavis

The wind that’s forecast later is tempering my desire to get the fatbike out.

It’s only really wet soggy stuff down here but on my usual haunts around the Convals will be lovely and white I reckon.

Loch Morlich webcam is worth a watch…
    https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam

giant_scum
    Free Member

A mate of mine is doing a job in Banchory today.
    Last I heard it was blizzard conditions there.
    Just looked at the Morlich webcam, looks serious!

dlr

wwaswas thanks for that link. I was near Glenshee on holiday a few weeks back so interesting (sad) to look at the cameras, road just shut going south out of Braemar. Bit surprising as not much snow, what do they do when there is proper snow and people want to go ski!

welshfarmer

what do they do when there is proper snow and people want to go ski!

they wait for it to stop snowing, plough and grit the road, and then open it again!Trying to keep it open and safe while snow is still falling is an almost hopeless task. You would not be skiing in those conditions either, that’s for sure

dlr

Yer makes sense. I can imagine coming down either side from the Ski centre would be carnage on fresh snow, bad enough in the rain/fog. Just confusing atm as there were a couple of cars waiting at the gates to get into Braemar but they can’t get in for a while. Anyway, back to work (lol). Hoping to get ~4 flakes in Northumberland

Houns

Feel sorry for any oil and gas workers out in the North Sea with the forecast 100 mph+ winds

matt_outandabout

Anyone Aberdeenshire, Angus and Fife coast needs to batten down tonight.

fasthaggis

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve woken up to quite a bit of snow here in Sheffield – perhaps 6-7cm 🙂

I looks pretty slushy though. Will venture out for a snowball fight with my 6 year old shortly 😀

stumpyjon

Quite a decent covering in East Lancs on the tops. Good 15 TO 20cm plus some drifting.

kayak23

Snowing over the Malverns this morning.

scotroutes

Oven gloves at the ready!

matt_outandabout

This thread brings a smile to my face.

shermer75
    Free Member

This thread brings a smile to my face.

It’s prob my favourite thread too! I love the photos, keep them coming 😀

Tracey

We sacked of today’s bike ride and did a circular from Castleton to Hope on the ridge line and back via Cavedale.
    Set off at 10 this morning and just got back to the camper. Snow on the top made walking tricky in places and the wind was relentless. Coming down Cavedale was an experience.
    Not many out walking and never saw a rider

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase today, snowed heavily early Saturday morning and snowing again now.

Drac

Trying hard here. It can **** right off I’ve had enough of bad weather now.

MoreCashThanDash

A light dusting yesterday here around Derby soon melted, though there were a lot of frozen puddles on the tracks and trails this morning.

Now had an inch or so come down in the last hour and a half. The CX at Markeaton Park looks “challenging”…..

stumpyjon

Finally stopped here in Rossendale, been snowing hard since 10am on top of what we had on Friday night. About 7 inches deep, it’s not unusual for us to get a light dusting in late November but not this much, and it’s forecast to get down to minus four tonight.

Tracey

The biking on our birthday weekend in the Peak never materialised.
    Overnight freezing temperatures and snow all today made the decision not to ride an easy one so we set off out for a third day of walking. The wind had dropped only to be replaced by snow.
    Had a great time out up on the ridges

kimbers

Looks ace Tracey

A few rogue flakes falling here in Milton Keynes, but I have some flu so I’m not even contemplating going out

jimmy

Just posted this on the exercise thread but ah well… Slightly snowy Pentlands.

crazy-legs

Quite heavy in a lot of the Peak District. Last night’s snow had frozen into a lovely crispy crunchy surface. Around 11am it started snowing again and the roads became pretty treacherous very quickly. Lots of people caught out, trying to drive out of the village to get home, wheelspinning up the hill.

Wonder how many are still stuck.

shermer75
    Free Member

What the hell just seen some actual flakes here in that there London. Snoooowwwwwww daaayyyyyyyyy

Northwind

I definitely picked the wrong week to paint and build a new shed

corroded
    Free Member

Reporting from Hampshire: there’s a dusting down here too. That wasn’t forecast.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.