Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Black Isle not currently living up to its billing…

Hope the wee lambs are alright…

Drac

Slight dusting here.

lunge

Just been for a run here in the West Midlands. If not say it’s snowing but it’s blowing around in the air.
    Quite pleasant actually.

iainc

We’d normally be in Aviemore this week, wish we were !

matt_outandabout

One of those typical Scottish spring mornings here – blue skies and sun with snow trickling down…

ElShalimo

We had a big dump in West Yorkshire on Sunday night. I’ve only just managed to escape the house

scotroutes

View from the van this morning (through tinted window – it’s not really that dark!)

jimdubleyou

It’s snowing in sunny Twickenham this morning.

The weather forecast is a lie!

scotroutes

And falling at street level this morning. We’re expecting more this week.

Posted 4 months ago

So. It’s getting a bit old now. Snow arrived at street level just before Xmas and it seems we’ve barely been out of it.

Frequent hail showers yesterday topping up some lying snow, and – 6C again this morning.

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Woken up to heavy snow, North Hampshire. Very unexpected indeed

stumpyjon

Had 7 inches fall in East Lancs Saturday night, most we’ve had in a long time. Most of it melted quickly although what’s left froze again last night.

scotroutes

Snow showers passing through Aviemore this morning. Can’t see the mountains yet as the cloud is too low.

Anyone else?

honeybadgerx

Polystyrene ball stuff here by the Pentlands. Think it’s moving on to rain. I’ll not dust off the skis quite yet.

dovebiker

Snow on the hills north Speyside down to about 2000ft – sleety at 1000ft

cinnamon_girl

Slight hijack and a q for scotroutes – the (roadie) boy is hoping to visit Aviemore in the Summer and from my quick look at mapping software, there doesn’t appear to be much apart from presumably busy ‘A’ roads and the odd ‘B’ road. What are your thoughts please? He does have a gravel bike, would that be a better option? Thank you.

scotroutes

Hi CG. You’ve got it about right. The A9 and A95 are best avoided so the linear nature of the terrain limits road routes. It’s the one thing I miss in moving here. There are a handful of regularly used routes, so not a complete wash-out.

Aviemore-Nethy Bridge is a short favourite. Take in Loch Garten on either the out or the rerun leg.

Aviemore-Dalwhinnie and return is 100km (I should be doing this tomorrow.

Dava Moor loop can be extended as far as desired. The roads north from both Carrbridge and Grantown are both OK.

Tomintoul and back is also OK.

But, I’d bring the gravel bike instead. Lots and lots of good stuff available straight from the door.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you kindly scotroutes. Have been checking out those you’ve mentioned, the B9007 North of Carrbridge looks interesting and there’s potential to include a loop using a section of the Old Military Road. In fact, there seems to be loads of little roads in that area. Is that B9007 fairly quiet?

Is there anywhere in Aviemore to hire a mountain bike from? He doesn’t drive so would be getting the train from Glasgow but his gravel bike is so heavy that it might be easier to hire.

There could be enough to to keep him occupied on the road bike for a few days though. Will direct him to your helpful post.

Thanks again.

scotroutes

The B9007 / A939 are both fine for road bikes, the OMR isn’t really up to much.

Another, longer, route I enjoy is NCN7 to the Findhorn bridge, up the Strathdearn road to Garbole then the climb up past the windfarm and down to Farr. The B851 then takes you to an underpass at the A9, onto the B9154 and back via NCN7. Few food stops but the Strathdearn Hub in Tomatin is worth a visit.

Oh – an hour gets you from Aviemore to the ski centre car park at Cairngorm. Much quicker on the way back of course 😁

Bothy Bikes and Aviemore Bikes both do MTB rental. There are a couple of others but I’d stick to them.

Feel free to PM / email me.

cinnamon_girl

That long route looks good, quite a climb and pretty exposed around the wind farm. Looks as though the ski centre car park is at a height of 600 metres, wouldn’t fancy the return journey with those hairpin bends! Is it really as bad as it looks on the map?!

Terrific info again, many thanks.

scotroutes

The bends are fine, though it was better when the road was closed.

I was up there on Monday

scotroutes

And more fresh snow down to street level this morning! 6 weeks until the nights start drawing in again 😆

scotroutes

OK, this is insane now. Snow in May isn’t unheard of but blocking the A9? If this is the new normal I’m going to have to invest in more thermals.

piemonster

Snowed here too at sea level bit didn’t settle.

Y’know I remember someone saying early on it looked like there was a chance of an early finish to winter. I’m 100% blaming them….

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife said it snowed on the way home from school yesterday. In Cardiff.

TomB

Mate was skiing on the Ben and climbing Green Gully this week, came back to the Lakes for kite skiing on Raise yesterday. Interesting May so far…..

matt_outandabout

There was no snow last night here.

However it was only last week a friend posted up that skiing was over for the season – having skiied up to 10 days ago.

How you doing @patriotpro.

matt_outandabout

As it’s the solstice it seems appropriate to check in on this thread.

I’ve seen no snow today.

HTH.

scotroutes

I was hoping on an update from @nobeerinthefridge, though I can see plenty from my window at the moment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Watched two guys snow boarding off Coire lochan down one of the few remaining full gullies on Wednesday, madness!.

I’ll update that thread soon Colin, still enjoying it to be honest, and I need to get some pics over onto Flickr!.

mrchrispy

Its going to be bad this year around Manchester.
    Selling our 4×4 Yeti, mild winters since buying it so stands to reason its going to be biblical this year.

matt_outandabout

Excellent.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The first snow of the year has hit here in mid sweden. Happy winter all!

scotroutes

Last  weekend

Likely disappeared already, though we’re expecting more in a couple of days.

scotroutes

And it arrived.

Frozon snow outside the Pine Marten at Glenmore this evening. It was a very cold, but stunning, ride back home.

swavis

Just popped in to post a link to the Loch Morlich webcam.

Wintery…. 😎
    https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam

scotroutes

Had to scrape the van windscreen earlier.

willard

First snowfall in Dalarna also (Vansbro). Still nothing but slightly negative temperatures in Uppland and the big city though.

welshfarmer

We were in the Pyrenees on the 22nd of Sept when the locals informed us that the fresh snow on the peaks that morning was the first of the season.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.