Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • mustard
    Free Member

I picked up a couple of Tesco bags for me and GF for a tour in Spain, hoping that I can either double them up or use one with a synthetic bag over it for solo trips in colder weather.

Spending too much on kit at the mo so figured a bit of experimenting with a cheap bag and existing stuff rather than buying an expensive bag would be worth it.

unsponsored
    Free Member

The down bags from tesco look OK. Our local hypermarket is selling all the camping stuff on the cheap. They also had a few garmin forerunners in the sale for sub £100

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk

rudedog
    Free Member

Here are some pics from our SUW trip from Portpatrick to St John’s town of Dalry.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

some great pics I like the aged ones :D

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rudedog, that’s not far from me, never cycled any of the SUW to the west of the A76 though, what’s the surface like?. Always fancied exploring that section, never managed though.

rudedog
    Free Member

The route is all fairly rideable but theres a few sections that you may want to miss out if your cycling with overnight gear. Bikehike is down at the moment but when its back I’ll put up a summary with screenshots of the maps showing each bit with what’s rideable and what to avoid.

rudedog
    Free Member

I couldn’t be bothered with the maps but hopefully the descriptions will be helpful to anyone who fancies this part of the route.

Portpatrick to Stranraer

Theres some steps up from portpatrick to the cliff top – they aren’t too steep so you could push the bike up with out too much trouble. After that the route follows the cliffs and drops down in to a couple of bays where you’ll need to carry you’re bike – its a lovely stretch of the route in terms of scenery but hard going where you need to carry the bike. If you’ve got a lot of gear and can’t shoulder your bike, you should miss this bit out and go the road way out of Portpatrick, taking a left just outside the village and you’ll pick up the SUW at the turning for Killantringan lighthouse. After that its all rideable (mostly farm road) to Stranraer with a nice but fairly short section of singletrack roughly halfway.

Stranraer to New Luce
    Practically all rideable – Just outside Castle Kennedy village and Gardens, you pick up the road to New Luce here, as you start the climb, there’s a short section of SUW which goes off to the right, its very steep and not much fun as it takes you through a muddy cattle field so I’d advise you miss it out (if traveling with gear) as it joins back to the road a little bit further up. At the top of the hill, the route heads off toward Glenwhan moor where there’s a nice section of singletrack nearly all the way the luce valley, then a fairly steep drop down to the railway line – after that, you need to push for a bit until you clear the trees and can cycle over the river and push for another little bit up a very short but steep hill back to the road. You can take a short detour into the Village of New Luce here, theres a (very) small shop and a pub with a beer garden next to the river which made a nice stop for us.

New Luce to Bargrennan

Theres a fairly steep climb out of New Luce on farm track, the route takes you past some ancient caves/burial Cairns and then links on to road for a short bit before going totally off road through fields/bogs just north of Balmurrie farm. This section was a PITA – theres no trail at this point, but there are wooden waymarkers (sometimes hard to spot) every few hundred meters to keep you on course. You’ll need to push your bike as its almost totaly unrideable for just over a mile and goes through a peatbog which you’ll get wet feet from without appropriate footwear. After you come through the fields the trail is visible again and cuts through a wooded section for a few miles – its hard going again here as the trail is boggy and muddy but soon improves to half decent singletrack as you get closer to Laganngarn where the Beehive bothy is situated. Its a nice wooded bothy but no fireplace. The single track continues on passed some interesting standing stones and picks up forest fire road soon after. Your not on the fire road for long before the SUW goes off up a fairly steep hill but we skipped this and stuck to the fire road which just goes round the hill. From here on its plain sailing all the way to Bargrennan mosty farm/back roads – theres a couple of short sections of which take you off the road as you get closer to Bargrennan but they aren’t great for riding and easy to skip. Theres a pub at Bargrennan which does decent food, and a campsite with shop. Theres loads of good spots in the woods here though if you are camping – we found a cracking spot on the shore of Loch Trool, not far from the old Caldons campsite which is now abandoned.

Bargrennan to Dalry

They changed the trail out of Bargrennan to Loch Trool a few years back which you might need to bear in mind if your using an old map. We missed this bit out as we’d been in the pub for a couple and were camping at Loch Trool so just headed up the fire road – it looked like half decent forest single track from what we saw though. The forest road way takes you passed the 7 Stanes trail centre cafe which serves sandwiches and has an outside tap for refilling water. Once you get to Loch Trool, if you have a lot of gear, I’d advise sticking to the forest road north of the loch which leads to the car park at the base of Bruces monument . We didn’t do this and followed the SUW round the south side of the Loch and it was really tough going for the lads laden with gear. Lots of really steep sections, steps etc but probably mostly rideable and good fun without the gear – some good gnarly/technical descents. You also pass the battleground where Robet the Bruce defeated an English force ten times his size which was quite interesting to read about. Once you clear Loch Trool, theres a steep climb on forest road with some great views of the Galloway hills at the top. The forest road continues on for a good while passed Loch Dee and the Whitelaggan bothy and on to Clatteringshaws Loch. Just north of the Loch, the SUW leaves the fire road and goes over a few hills, we missed this section as we were running short on time and just stuck to the forest road and then back road over a hill and down to the Ken valley and St Johns Town of Dalry for a couple more pints and pub tea before being collected.

nick3216
    Free Member

Anyone have any real life experience’s with the Rab storm bivi
    are they roomy, water proof, pack small enough and light

Roomy. Yes, but I’m only small (5’8″). Plenty longer than that, and I can fit all my kit in there with me.
    Waterproof. Fortunately not had to find out.
    Pack small. Yep. You could (at a stretch) fit one in your middle jersey pocket.

Anthony
    Free Member

Rab Storm – yup.

It’s a great bag, good size, good weight and very popular. There are no features to speak of it’s just a waterproof bag cover with a draw hood.

When absolutely soaked through I did end up with a lot of condensation once, but they all do that under certain conditions once wetted out. It’s roomy enough to allow a winter bag to loft, but you wouldn’t fit any kit in there too.

Packsize, I would guess you could squeeze it into a 500ml bottle at a push.

bawz
    Free Member

Crackin’ summary rudedog. Anyone done any of the SUW east of St. John’s this year?

slackman99
    Free Member

Pictures of this weekends bivvy.

Friday night out on the Pennine Way from Widdop reservoir for a couple of miles.

Windy but sunny evening

Mate knocked us up a couple of tarps

Nice view from bed

Tarps set up to shelter us from the wind (along with the rocks behind), and any potential rain.

Woke up the following morning getting a wet face. Wind had changed direction 90deg meaning rain straight in to the tarp so it wasn’t protecting at all

faaz
    Free Member

Slackman that looks great, what saddlebag are you running?

Your camp and view looked amazing!

slackman99
    Free Member

Saddlebag was just an Alpkit dry bag with a load of webbing tie straps round it to hold it on, nowt special.

View was nice in the sun, not so good in the rain and wind!

faaz
    Free Member

I thought so! I ordered a 13L one yesterday (as my 8l was too small for sleeping bag) which will come tomorrow, as well as a few other bits, and bungee is my plan too.

thanks for the info

valleydaddy
    Free Member

just bought a Hunka XL inreadiness for the Winter Bivvy Season :D

faaz
    Free Member

I really need some advice as I haven’t actually bivvied yet properly, got basically all the kit now (had to get a bigger dry bag as my bag is 1000 weight), but around me there is nowhere ‘remote’ or so I think.

Im fairly near Brighton so not sure what to do. I know a few spots which might be OK but my biggest concern is waking up in the morning to find the bike gone!!!! Not sure what to do.

d45yth
    Free Member

faaz – I’ve thought about bike security when bivvying too. Here’s a thread I posted on Bike and Bivi about it.
    Here’s another thread with tarp pitching options, scroll down a bit for the ones incorporating a bike.

ruscle
    Free Member

You could get some cheap motor bike disc brake alarms, work on vibrations so would sound off if someone moved your bike.

faaz
    Free Member

great guys, thanks for the info.

Funny you should say that Ruscle, I saw one on a bike just the other day and thought why not! Again may be heavy though.

Like the idea of a rape alarm and fishing line, lightweight, cheap and easy. But the bike integration into a tarp has to be the best thing really. May have a play with just a tent outer and see if I can rig something up!

thanks again!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Fasten the bike to your leg with some strong fishing line! I normally take a small light cable lock and lock all out bikes together. Your not likely to bump into anyone on the moors with some bolt cutters! Maybe at worst some little chav might be too far from home in the middle of the night. But that’s about as likely to happen in all honesty as an alien coming on the moors and abducting you!

slugwash
    Free Member

Here’s a snap or two from last week’s full moon bivi above the Tarentaise Valley in Les Alpes…

Flickr Slugwash – Full Moon Alpine Bivi[/url]

Bit of a write up here….

Crafty French Alps Bivi

unsponsored
    Free Member

How did you find having the stuff sac slung on top of the bars? It seems like a pretty logical solution.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

good question, I’ve only tried it underneath as everyone else does, I will try mine tomorrow with the harness and see if it secures ok :D

slugwash
    Free Member

How did you find having the stuff sac slung on top of the bars?

It was generally fine, and a lot more secure held in place by three short bungees on top of the bars as opposed to the usual below the bars with a homemade harness.

However, the ride involved a couple of saddle dropping, technical descents and the on-top-of-the-bars positioning seriously obscured my line of vision. Not usually a problem on most of the, generally more gentle, bivi rides I’ve done.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Tried it out last weekend and it works well.

d45yth
    Free Member

Anyone looking for some bikepacking bags? Look here, s/h on Bike and Bivi.
    Would have had them myself but already got some on order/different sizes.
    The makers website is here[/url] (Bikepack.pl).

d45yth
    Free Member

Has this thread died?
    I’ve just got my bikepacking bike finished, shame about the time of year but I’m still itching to get out!

My tent and all sleeping gear is in the bar bag. The seat bag is for food/cooking stuff. Anything that I need to hand will be in the side pockets of the pack on my back. Still need come decent bottles and cages for my water but that’s about it.
    Bags are from Bikepack™[/url]. The bar bag is a large, the seat bag is a medium.
    I’ll post more info on gear and weights when everything is packed for a trip away somewhere. :-)
    There is a little more info here (Bike and Bivi).

plodtv
    Free Member

multidayer adventures, what do people do for lights. From my research seems people use lights that you can use re-usables like AA, what are the recommendations?

Anthony
    Free Member

Lights to ride or camp?

Camp- Petzl E-lite which uses coin cells so I pack a few spares.

Riding- Exposure Diablo, 10hr on low or 3hrs mid, piggyback battery gives 4x that run time for when trips are likely to require lots of night riding which isn’t that often.

plodtv
    Free Member

Riding more than camping (for the lights), say a week long bivy.

willfaz
    Free Member

that’s mad! No wonder this thread died for a few months, bivvying is just not plausible (for the sane) in the winter!!!

unsponsored
    Free Member

Very nice write up. A number of hardcore bivi-ers are still at it.

pease
    Free Member

well, ive spent all night looking through this link. cant wait to get out this year :)

Tiger6791

Well it’s over a year old now :D

Shinythings
    Free Member

So who on here is doing the Mach ‘n’ back next week and hoping for decent weather?!
    Spending today getting my kit together, but until the forecast is clearer it’s tricky knowing what cold weather gear to take.

Blackhound

I will be there next weekend. Did a bivvy ride early December in Peak so will take much the same kit.

Anthony
    Free Member

The last Mach N Back forecast I saw was warm and wet. Still pondering on the sleeping kit.

PHD Minim 600, -16’C, 1.1kg, 5L Packsize

or

Minim Ultra +8’c plus Montane Down Jacket, around 700g total, 4L Packsize

Full length Neo-air, in a TN Photon tent

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The winds the killer at the moment … it dropped last night, I was outside at 10.30 in shorts and a thin top and wasn’t cold :D

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.