Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Shortest time spent in a job?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hora, re your earlier post. No, neither. 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

About 2 hrs taking pork pies out of a baking tray and putting them in the ‘jelly tray’ ready for injecting. 5mins when I realised that a ‘sales’ job was actually door to door hasseling and I would be ‘required to run between houses to fit more in’ as the mini bus turned up to take me Christ knows where. I walked away.

twonks

Shortest was minus 5 minutes as my mate and I quit whilst following the worker bus to the packing factory we were going to temp at.

Decided that at 16 we didn’t need temp jobs so turned round before we got there.

Shortest proper job was 3 months with supposedly the largest bike company in the country at the time. God damn awful place to work and got sacked for telling my boss to shove his bikes where the sun doesn’t shine :o)

Longest job was the one I left to go to the bikes – 12 years… oops.

Been in current company 10 years, so the 3 months was but a blip.

hora
    Free Member

Capn darn. There are more bad bike companies here??!!

mudshark
    Free Member

I got a call from an agency to go to a company that needed some admin help. Went there wearing suit to find a load of people stuffing envelopes, I didn’t go back.

My wife got offered a job that I quickly decided was a bit of a scam – it was dressed up as something fairly interesting referring to ‘clients’ but all it was was cold selling on the street. I persuaded her to call them up to check what she’d actually be doing and she decided not to go.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Less than a minute at a guess, I was young and she was very sexy.

Torminalis
    Free Member

2 days.

Started working for an advertising sales magazine, selling space in a fictional magazine. Cold calling to people who have already been ripped off is the least fun I have ever had at work.

At the end of the second day, I stood up, announced that they were the worst sort of people and left. Similar thing happened at a mobility aids sales company whose high pressure tactics were vile.

There is an awful lot of money to be made if you have no conscience.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ah!! I miss read. I thought it was on the job not in a job.

gmex619
    Free Member

1 day for me. In a LBS. I came in the first day, boss was having family troubles, told me I didn’t have to come in the next day or the day after(actual day off) rang me 15 minutes past 9 and fired me for not coming in when he’d told me I was meant to be off both days. I even confirmed it with him and his father who also worked there.

timber

Place I used to work, my main staff were those that came back for a second day, they’d often last the season.
    Boss brought one lad in that I knew of for the wrong reasons, he was out the yard before he got introduced.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

8 hours.

In the Virgin mail room putting copies of the NME into pigeon holes for delivery all over the world.

It wasn’t for me but to be fair the other lads there liked it, they got free virgin cola at break time and long service earned points they could spend on virgin flights.

bigblackshed

About an hour as a temp forklift truck driver. Spent that time filling in HR paperwork, then shown round the small factory. When they stated that they didn’t have a forklift truck ATM and I would have to load about 100 pallets worth of produce on to trailers by hand, I walked out.

The agency tried to send me there again the following week. Did work for that agency again either.

Longest job was 13 years with the same company. Did lots of different and interesting stuff. That started as a temporary job too.

Duggan

About 6 hours in a now defunct clothes shop called USC.

Not exactly back breaking work but the manageress was mental and constantly doing the whole passive aggressive thing, rolling her eyes whenever me or the other new guy did something she perceived as ‘wrong’, blanking us when questioned, death stares etc. **** this, I thought.

I don’t have a problem with um.. ‘those’ kind of jobs though as I worked in a plastics factory for ages which had very little redeeming features and also did a stint at a sandwich factory which is much less fun than it sounds.

It’s nice when you’re in a position that when you’re feeling like you want to walk out of a job, you can. Not always the case though that it’s possible though.

I think I have about 7 years continuous service in the same organisation now, though probably done four or five different roles in that organisation so not sure if it counts as one job really.

matt_outandabout

We someone who walked in, sat through morning meeting, made themselves a brew and then headed to bosses office and quit. I count it as a lucky escape – issues… 😕

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Shortest time spent in a job?’ is closed to new replies.