Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Short travel FULL SUS XC bike – thoughts?
  • Aus
    Free Member

With a crocked back, looking at poss trying out a full sus bike which I’ve never had before. Riding is Kent singletrack, like light and speedy-ish (nothing hard core!). Currently riding a Ti 29er, 1×9, light, which I love. And, for no good reason, I tend to like slightly niche brands (my bikes are a Dekerf and Singular).

So have v little idea about full sus and have no knowledge – assume I’m after a short travel; is 29er a good way forward (I’m 6′) as I like my rigid 29er. As it’s a trial, secondhand is a must. And ideally, (irrationally), an ‘interesting’ brand! So what to look out for?

Many thanks

alanf
    Free Member

Not really ‘interesting’ or ‘niche’ but for a short travel FS you really can’t go wrong with an Anthem.

neninja
    Free Member

Secondhand full sus 29ers are rare as rocking horse poop.

If it doesn’t have to be a 29er there are usually plenty of Giant Anthem X’s for sale used.

They would meet all your criteria except wheel size and being an ‘interesting brand’. They are faster and lighter than pretty much every FS from a ‘niche’ brand though.

emac65
    Free Member

29er Anthem,or the 26″ wheeled version of it isn’t bad either.

I’m very niche so don’t need a niche bike underneath me to try & make up for my short comings…… 8)

ransos
    Free Member

Another vote for the Anthem X here. It’s a very capable all-rounder, light, and good value.

buck53

Felt Virtue might be worth a look, I’ve just built up a 2008 frame and it’s lovely and light and lively even with relatively low rent components on.

Newer ones are available in carbon, which might up the ‘niche’ quota if that’s really that important.

disconoir
    Free Member

I’d say a Turner Flux, but that’s because I have one! There was a guy in the forum the other day looking at selling his – if you’ve got the cash it’s a great ride and fairly niche.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Depends on the size of your pocket doesnt it…

I’d say a SC Blur XC, very light & very stiff…but as Keith Bontrager said…

Or perhaps a Pronghorn?

jasonm945
    Free Member

How about a Pivot or a Niner, are they “niche” enough?

Legoman
    Free Member

Another vote for the Anthem here.

Noticed there’s an Anthem X2 29er just appeared in the classifieds (not mine!)

scaled
    Free Member

sure’y anything with 26″ wheels is going tobe classed as niche soon? 😉

nuke

Along with those saying Anthem X 26er or 29er, I’d say Salsa Spearfish. Titus Rockstar is another to look at.

daveb
    Free Member

I just bought an Anthem 29er, very nice with a decent spec for the money. My first 29er though so cant comment against other 29ers.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Loving my Titus X (26″), so much that my prophet isn’t getting out much! On one are selling the carbon ones cheap too!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’d say a Turner Flux, but that’s because I have one! There was a guy in the forum the other day looking at selling his – if you’ve got the cash it’s a great ride and fairly niche.

The flux prices seem to be depressed at the moment, probably because of that CRC sale.

But they are a good bet as they use journal bearing and are very well engineered. I directly compared a turner 5 spot to a giant trance and the turner suspension performance was loads better, probably because of the stiffness of the rear triangle and the excellence of the dw-lnk design, of which maestro is a copy but I would say not as good, particularly as people mention using pro-pedal with their giants, whereas propedal usage is detrimental to the performance of the turners.

VanHalen

i’m recovering from a pinched disc and a wibbly wobbly spine.
    the full suss is defo the way forward.
    i’ve just got a shorter travel xc frame second hand as riding hte freeride bike everywhere is a chore. i’ll swap the bits from teh HT until the back doesnt hurt
    i’m expecting it to be a bit more brutal than 6″ of plush niceness but a lot more energy efficient with enough give to take the edge off.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Another vote for a salsa spearfish. seems to tick your boxes and they are cheap brand new.

dickie
    Free Member

Turner Flux as suggested above;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-pricing-turner-flux
    Try striking a deal with Sig123 – the bike has had the front triangle replaced with a 2012 model which address the slight issues with the earlier front ends on the DW link models.

Great bike – have one myself, highly recommended.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cannondale Scalpel (not niche but works well)

slackalice
    Free Member

Niche….. I’m so with you. Here’s some suggestions:

Pivot Mach 4 or 429, somewhere on here there’s a long term review by Benji and he liked the 4 I believe.

Not-so-niche shortish travel could be one of the new Scott Genii 650B’s. Or a bit more niche would be those KTM peeps do some rather fine looking short travel 650B’s too.

Or look to PYGA (gotta be dead niche!) their new 120mm 29er has just received stonking reviews and is definately worth a look as the review seemed to talk of it behaving in a very sprightly manner, which I imagine you might like. 🙂

I do have one more, but it’s so niche and I’ll be getting one this year, that I wont publicly announce it until I’ve taken delivery!!! But you could PM me if you really wanna know!! 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

if your looking at 26″ bikes seriously consider the flux! very versatile and well made bike (made in the U.S) not a boutique brand but far from a Trek,Giant,Cannondale etc. great price now as everyone’s jumped on the 29″ thing.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve got an Anthem and rate it very very highly. My only regret is that I picked up a top of the range (£5k) one for £2k second hand (ridden 5 times) and now I don’t dare ride it in the mud in case the gears I can’t afford to replace get worn out, so it sits in the garage awaiting some sunshine!

Anyway, it’s absolutley superb and if you’re looking for something comfortable and quick you’ll struggle to find better. I use mine for xc stuff, but I’ve also set it up with a 70mm stem, which transforms it into a pretty swift bike for riding in more technical bits too. not on a level with a bigger bike, but as an all-round bike it’s dificult to beat. It starts to struggle on massive rocks , but on anything smaller it flies. Lots of technical descents it’ll be faster just because it’s so light and quick across the ground and it’s often more fun too because it always feels like you’re on the edge of grip (Crossmark tyres).

If I put proper tyres on it, a set of 120mm Pikes and a dropper it would get you in and out of some serious trouble.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all, liking the look of the Spearfish and Flux getting lots of positives … Anthem seems to live up to the reports

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the slight issues with the earlier front ends on the DW link models.

only 09 fluxes, of which mine is one 🙁

sefton
    Free Member

why whats up with the 09 front?

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’m selling my TNT Flux here and could be pursuaded to deal

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rs-sid-rct3-pro2stans-turner-flux

TNT is significantly lighter than the DW versions and squarely aimed at your intended riding.

Let me know

Buzzard
    Free Member

forgot to say – I’m having issues with my email so drop a note on this topic and I will check back later if interested

dickie
    Free Member

2009 DW Flux front triangles cracked at the junction between seat tube & the BB casting.
    2010 an extra piece was added at this junction to stop the cracking & the cable guides changed to one cable tie per cable rather than the dual guides served by one cable tie on the down tube.
    2011 the Taco brace on the top/seat tube was replaced with the Burito.
    2012 44mm headtube & maxle rear – end of production.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

why whats up with the 09 front?

I thought I answered that but must have made a mistake somewhere?

I think some of the 09 cracks were in the large and above frames, mine is a medium so hopefully…

Plus I seem to remember talk of inconsistencies in the weld quality.

No need for the maxle on the back, it is very stiff anyway – just pandering to market forces, so for the headtube.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TNT is significantly lighter than the DW versions and squarely aimed at your intended riding.

The TNT Flux frame was 5.6lbs I think, the dw-link is 6 so that isn’t significant, plus the dw-link is a very efficient peddler with no squatting.

argoose
    Free Member

Chapest option is buy a USE sumo to take the sting out of the trail

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Chapest option is buy a USE sumo to take the sting out of the trail

mentioned that on another thread – they work very well.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Maybe I’m biased but i’d say the Anthem, its a class frame and responds well to upgrades and lightening too, making it a very sprightly and responsive bike (niche 26er I use).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but i’d say the Anthem, its a class frame

it is class, but the flux is classier, so for the same(ish) money the choice is clear. If you were buying the frame originally (2009) the anthem frame was 995 and the flux frame was 1800.

nigelb001
    Free Member

If you were buying the frame originally (2009) the anthem frame was 995 and the flux frame was 1800.

Well last year I bought the whole bike brand new (2011 X4) for £1150 and have since done many upgrades making it even better and its 24.5 lb. Love it!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Paul’s Cycles have some great Anthem deals on at the moment BTW.

I reckon the Flux is a great frame too btw, though I’ve not ridden one. Looks like it would make a fantastic bike.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all, v helpful. Buzzard – interested in your Flux if you can email me details.

scotroutes

If I was in your position I’d be seriously looking at a Spearfish

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

they are not making the flux anymore either, the replacement is the 650b burner. All things to consider…

No doubting that the Giants are exceptional value for money though – it may be that maxles on the back will help with stiffening it.

A 2010 5 Spot is also an option, as they were steeper in the HT and so more XC oriented.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Buzzard – interested in your Flux if you can email me details.

bear in mind that all the other recommendations on this thread were for the dw-link Flux – whether the TNT one compares is a different matter and you should ride both and an anthem before plumping for the TNT one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Short travel FULL SUS XC bike – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.