Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • shoes for the alps…
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

low-ish budget (<£60), not plastic race soled (plenty of hike-a-bike to be done this summer), wide shape (no thinner than shimano), durable.

?

have always used race shoes, but the lack of grip on bare rocks under leaves is getting annoying, and i want something more suitable for longer walks. in the alps all season, otherwise i’d just man-up a bit (plus i want my reasonably pricey race shoes to last a while longer)

need to be clipless compatible.

these?

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

These are what you need. Shiman MP66W

Cant reccomend them highly enough

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7610

Bit over budget, and they look a bit special but extremely excellent. Stiff, comfy, grippy, tons of protection etc.

-Edit. Beaten to it…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yeah, i know they’re cool, and i’ve just invested in some [shudder]knee pads[/shudder], so i might ‘look the part’. they are kinda pricey though, and merlin don’t have them in my size (they’d be £49 if they had!)

hmm

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

how are they stiffness wise? and are they hot to wear? found them for £55…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

and will they work ok with time pedals, with no platform?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55370

Just noticed these. Newer, sexier version. Cheaper than the 66s for some reason.

Work fine with no platform, too.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

see, i think the white ones look better…

how are they for lots of climbing btw? i will be pedalling up lots of hills.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

I find them absolutely fine. Decently stiff but with a curved sole which makes walking pretty natural. I am happy enough to wear them before and after the ride as well, like a favourite pair of trainers.

I also have a pair of racy Bontrager RXLs.

To be honest I normally wear the MP66’s as they are so comfortable only using the Bontys for rides with definately no walking. Not always the case in the lakes!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve got those bontys, but one level lower i think. like them a lot, but i’ve done more damage to myself thanks to their relative lack of grip on smooth rocks than i have from falling off the bike…

mebbe the shimano’s are the way to go then.

so, sizing on shimanos – my bontys (and DHB road shoes) are a 44 – same for shimano?

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm…. bontys come up a bit small. I’m a 42.5 in bontys and 42 in shimano MP66Ws.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

I am generally UK size 9. I have both in Euro 44 and they are both spot on.

Re the Bontys, I had the RL version as well but had an issue with them and sent them back to Trek UK. Got sent a set of RXLs as a free replacement super quick. No one wants to test customer service out but it is great to deal with good reasonable people so double thumbs up from me.

kimbers

the mp66s are great all round shoes plenty stiff for climbing but easy enough to walk in if you have to

also provide a reasonable amount of protection from rocks etc too

they get a bit sweaty but no worse than any other mtb shoe -ive ridden in spain and the alps and ive never noticed my feet overheating

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

cool, thanks. upon checking, my bontys are 44.5, so 44 sound like the best bet

will be calling a few shops tomorrow to see who has cheapest shipping to france.

thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘shoes for the alps…’ is closed to new replies.