Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano XT M775 wheels – your thoughts / experiences please?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

Deliberating about replacing a rather ancient, but perfectly serviceable pair of 321 / Hope XC wheels on my full susser and just keep coming back to the £200 deal that On One have on the M775 XT wheelsets. In recent years I've always had (fantastic) built wheels around Hope hubs / Mavic rims (usually 321 rims) but just wondering about these for the money. They'd be used by a 13st gentleman (ahem…) for general XC riding in the Peak District.

They seem a very nice weight, look the part, appear to review quite well, but who's using them and what do you think?

cheers in advance…

Toasty

Terrible IMO, I had a set which seemed to be very flexy. Much more so than my (also 24 spoke) Crossrides so I sold them on thinking it was just a lightweight wheel issue. It turned out there was an issue with the axle and they ended up being replaced under warranty.

Since then I've seen dozens of reviews of bikes with them on (a Whyte in MBR a couple of months back springs to mind), all stating the bikes are great but let down by very shoddy wheels. The newish M775 hubs aren't without flaws but the ones used on the M775 factory set are even worse. I've seen stacks of them on here with hub issues, ranging from cones coming loose every day to locking up completely.

Weight wise, they do come in just over 1600g, but this is due to very 24 light spokes, a very thin dainty rim with a meaty hub in the middle. For about the same weight and £228 (from Winstanleys) you could get a set of Pro IIs, 32 solid, replacable spokes and a ZTR 355 rim. Mine have been faultless and I've seen lots of similar comments on here.

Don't expect to replace anything on the XT factory set if it goes, the hub is completely custom and not available to buy separately, same goes for the rim obviously.

They are pretty though, that's about the only plus I've noticed 😛

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Front wheel – great.

Rear wheel – bit of a pig in knickers.

Loosening locknuts, play in cones, impossible to source a spare hub shell. Good wheel when it is running smoothly – tubeless setup is very easy, rims stay true (though I'm a lightweight), but beset with problems which would make me look elsewhere (Pro II/ZTR 355).

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks guys – very enlightening, and I guess just serves to confirm that the various sets of Hope hub / Mavic rimmed wheels I've got are still running sweetly 'cos they're good. I'll take the advice on board and stick with what works so well. Cheers.

dickie
    Free Member

Toasty – arn't the wheels £269 at Winstanleys??

Mister-P
    Free Member

The rims are available separately, part number WHRIM1SDBD.

kamina
    Free Member

I had a pair of them for a while and they worked well. I felt they where pretty strong for the weight, and well priced. I know a lot of people had problems with the freewheel on MTBR forums, but think that should be sorted out by now.

My main problem was the front hub which was not convertible, had to sell the wheelset when I changed my fork. I have since decided to only get wheelsets allowing for use of both 15 and 20mm axles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT M775 wheels – your thoughts / experiences please?’ is closed to new replies.