Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano SPD pedals and shoes, noise driving me mad!
  • thorpie
    Free Member

Now I like my bikes nice and quiet (hope hubs aside) but I am struggling with Shimano pedals and shoes. I have always used Shimano spd’s and shoes but recent pairs of Shimano jobbies seem to suffer terribly with noise, where the shoe sole connects with the pedal platform (xt trail spd’s). It’s a kind of squeaky squelchy sound and gets worse as the cleats wear, and I’m talking a couple of months of wear only. Does anyone else suffer with this or is it just me? Solutions gratefully accepted. I’ve no plans to swap to flats.
    Trevor.

scotroutes

Have you tried earplugs?

(No, never had that problem though I’ve one combination of CB pedal and shoe that clicks)

matt_outandabout

Candle wax – rub it on the pedal body?

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah mine do that. I just ignore it, mixes in nicely with the cacophony of creaks from the rest of the bike. Candle wax actually might be a good shout.

kcal

aye, my BG sport shoes were terrible for it – some SPD / shoe combinations worse (or better) than others. Tried trimming the sole round the cleat and also grease or similar – foot / pedal position angle seems to affect it too.

prawny

I get this with my m530s but only on the right one, does my head in to the extent that I don’t want to use them for commuting anymore. Seems better if I crank them up a bit.

slowster
    Free Member

If it’s metal to metal contact that is creaking, try a quick spray of GT85 or WD40 on the cleat and/or the parts of the pedal that contact the cleat. If it works it will probably need repeating fairly frequently, but that is not a lot of trouble.

thetallman
    Free Member

Yep. Shimano M088 shoe and XT trail pedal. The rubber sole moves against the plate that’s intended to offer some extra support and squeaks enough to slowly drive me mad.

My M540 and DX spds are nice & quiet with the same shoe.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SPD pedals and shoes, noise driving me mad!’ is closed to new replies.