Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano 12 speed BB and chainring tools
  • davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve offered to fit a brand new groupset for a mate but I’m getting bloody confused of what tool adapters I need for the BB and chainring lockring. According to the tech docs it’s a different tool for the BB and chainring lockring but both appear to be 41mm o/d with 16 splines. Recognising that the BB adapter won’t work for the chainring, it looks to me though that you can use the chainring adapter (shimano TL-FC41) to fit the BB. Can anyone confirm if it fits or not?
    Thanks, Dave.

concrete24
    Free Member

Hi Dave,
    You definitely need TL-FC41 for the chain ring. Sadly it does not quite fit the bottom bracket cup properly. It is the same OD with same splines – but not as deep. You might get away with it – but it doesn’t engage with the cups fully – might slip\damage the cup. I used the same old bottom bracket tool that I used on my old 10 speed but with the plastic adaptor that comes with the more modern Hollowtech BB.

Hope that helps clear it up.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Thanks, I was hoping to get away with the same tool for both, bit disappointing to see that shimano can’t design the same tool for 2 parts with the same diameter and number of splines 👿 but shouldn’t be surprised. Luckily it’s not my bike so I’ve asked him to buy himself the tools and I’ll use them to fit.

sillyoldman

Chainring tool comes with the cranks.

dhrider
    Free Member

As above, the chain ring too comes with the crankset so no need to purchase separately.

Just need to buy the BB tool & non drive side plastic end cap tool.

concrete24
    Free Member

FYI Chainring tool does not always come with cranks! My cranks came from Merlin as part of a group set purchase with chainring already fitted – probably OEM spec rather than retail? I have since bought one – was about a tenner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 12 speed BB and chainring tools’ is closed to new replies.