Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shame. Poor commuting motoristas.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

In today’s Times: average speeds in London for car-driving commuters are between 10 and 15.9 mph. I cycle 20 miles into work and then home again the same distance at an average speed of (drum roll)… 12.5 mph.

😀

Cougar

MrWoppit
    Free Member

brooess
    Free Member

My commuting riding speed is c15mph. Ironically it would be higher if I wasn’t having to filter through static traffic all the time!

don’t forget though, that barely anyone drives to work in London. I’ve been working here nearly 20 years and only one person I knew drove instead of taking public transport… and that was cos she had a problem with being amongst the general public 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone commuting into London by car deserves to be stuck in a traffic jam.

don’t forget though, that barely anyone drives to work in London

But this is true. Last place I worked had a thousand or more employees and 3 parking spaces, which weren’t always full. Usually one posh car and one or two cheap ones, no idea to whom they belonged – bigshots or the disabled maybe I dunno.

I reckon 50% of the traffic in Central London is work-related (ie deliveries, tradesmen etc), 30% taxis, 15% chauffer driven cars and 5% private cars.

andytherocketeer

assume the comparisons are like for like.

I bought a car to commute when I lived in London because Jimmy Knapp kept holding train strikes.

Cycling wasn’t feasible as a commute. Sure I could do that as a long saturday/sunday ride, but realistically it wouldn’t be every day. Having private off street parking in Putney helped that decision.

robdob
    Free Member

I’d live to ride to work every day but I unfortunately I need the car for my job. I can ride from Hudds to Leeds quicker than some of the journeys by car, but the M62 changes have improved things a fair bit.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Anyone commuting into London by car deserves to be stuck in a traffic jam.

don’t forget though, that barely anyone drives to work in London

But this is true. Last place I worked had a thousand or more employees and 3 parking spaces, which weren’t always full. Usually one posh car and one or two cheap ones, no idea to whom they belonged – bigshots or the disabled maybe I dunno.

I reckon 50% of the traffic in Central London is work-related (ie deliveries, tradesmen etc), 30% taxis, 15% chauffer driven cars and 5% private cars.

So what the hell causes the traffic jams? Surely there can’t be so many tradesmen and taxis etc over and above other major cities to account for permanent gridlock.

footflaps

In today’s Times: average speeds in London for car-driving commuters are between 10 and 15.9 mph.

I’m surprised it’s that high!

If I drive to work in Cambridge I average about 6mph! My 3 mile commute takes about 30mins by car.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I ride a motorbike from Farnborough to Isleworth every day. Takes, on average 35-40 minutes for the 25.7 miles. There’s not a hope in hell I’d do it in under an hour in a car and my boss drives about 7-8 miles in every day and takes about the same time I think. Madness. Why do people even try it?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why would you drive 3 miles to work? Even at a decent strolling pace you could walk that in 45 minutes.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Why would you drive 3 miles to work? Even at a decent strolling pace you could walk that in 45 minutes.

When you say, “you could,” I think you mean, “I could.” Obviously, he doesn’t want to!

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve had lots of jobs, but never had one that I could feasibly commute to by bike. And none of them due to distance alone.

Not everyone sits a desk all day and only needs to carry a sarnie and a laptop to do their job.

Not everyone can store their bikes at home. So commuting by bike would involve getting to the bike before you can start.

I’ve no issues cycling, but due to old injuries, if I walked six miles a day to get to work, in addition to actually doing my job, I would need an ambulance by the middle of the week 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shame. Poor commuting motoristas.’ is closed to new replies.